The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blackmagic Design's new global approach

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While this is for video at this point, it shows in which direction technology is moving.

Blackmagic Design has launched an app for iOS devices and a cloud system that feature a "pro" video camera interface for iOS devices and immediate availability of the footage for editing with DaVinci Resolve anywhere in the world. The cloud part will also work with some Blackmagic cameras (one at the moment).

I used to laugh of journalists who captured images and footage using their iPads and iPhones. No reason to laugh anymore. I guess my iPhone 6 is due for an upgrade soon. I have to try this.

Required

Yes BMD have always been a disruptor to the business.
There ware not long time ago they were laughed at in the broadcasting world.

They are into a fast paced, cost efficient and highly productive cooperative intense production world - a bit different from most of us. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes BMD have always been a disruptor to the business.
There ware not long time ago they were laughed at in the broadcasting world.

They are into a fast paced, cost efficient and highly productive cooperative intense production world - a bit different from most of us. :)
With increasingly short deadlines, having images and footage ready on my computer even before I return home would actually make a lot of sense. It's not only about time, but about the number of actions that I have to perform before I can deliver the results to the client. Although their 4K and 6K cinema cameras aren't optimised for stills, they can do it. If they get firmware updates enabling them to upload to the new cloud service, it's certainly something I would consider for event shoots. Or I could simply buy the latest, greatest iPhone and shoot the whole event with the phone. It would probably work fine, although it might raise a few eyebrows. "I thought we had hired a professional photographer...". 😂

Last edited: