The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Boring (redux)

cunim

This thread started in the MF section, but it was pointed out that it would be more interesting to remove the format restriction. So, here it is. I will make some general suggestions to keep snapshots out and serious photos in. These should be pictures you like, photos made to the best of your ability, but that have failed to generate any interest amongst those who have seen them. Note, there is nothing stopping you yourself from liking these photos. The point is that no one else reacts to them - except to yawn. I'll start as far away as I can from MF digital. I guess you have to like owls to find this interesting..

Sinar P2, 8 x 10, Ilford FP4, can't remember the lens but about 220

huh-.jpg

Last edited:

buildbot

I like this shot, but it's not actually interesting/good IMO (It's also pretty noisy 😥 ):
1DE612FD.jpg
Emotion 22 on Mamiya AF, with an 80mm F2.8 (I think). Processed with an early version of my IAtoDNG code, then Lightroom.

bensonga

In the spirit of keeping continuity with cunim's original thread....

I think this "boring" image posted by Jorgen (click on the link to view) at the end of the original thread is a good one to carry over to this new thread.

I purposely put "boring" in quotes because as many of us know, what is "boring" (or not) can be quite different in the eyes of both the photographer and the viewers.

Gary

bensonga

That’s minimalist architectural photography and not boring! It is not easy to hit boring right tbh
I was trying to find an image that Paul might think is sufficiently boring to include here.

Perhaps this test shot? I took it at my office on the day I received a pre-owned Leica MM246 I had purchased. It was the 3rd shot I took with the camera.

It is so boring even I haven't bothered to make a print of it and I'll print almost any image at least once, just to be sure.

Gary

L1003699 Leica MM246 Test Keep Calm and Shoot Film P1200.jpg

Last edited:

bensonga

On a more serious note, here is image that I like, but when I've shown a print of it to friends and asked for their opinion I am often asked some version of this question: "Why did you take this photo?"

Perhaps this counts as some version of it's so "boring".

Gary

L1003718 DNG Western Insulfoam Shipping Containers Cropped +20 Mid-Contrast P1800.jpg

Last edited:

cunim

Finding out why photographers make tedious images is actually very interesting. Please keep the little stories coming with those shots.

Here's a real dozer I took with the IQ180. Just two helmets and a model on a table. As I recall, the old leather helmet tells the modern one that he's sorry, but cutbacks mean they've had to switch fighter training from jets to biplanes. New guy is depressed, though he should be happy. Biplanes rule. Even the joke was boring. I liked the owl but I don't think I like this one.

helmets.jpg

pegelli

Thanks for making this subject "format and gear agnostic"

A few weeks ago I participated in a one day landscape photo workshop.

But next to some nice landscapes I also shot these two, don't know if they're boring subjects or boring photos (or both) but somehow I didn't dicard them from my catalog and like them myself but I wonder what impression they make on anyone I show them. I haven't yet, and the audience here is the first time, so please tell me what you think.

Level gauge

Grating

Both M246M + Summicron 50/2 (v1, rigid)

Duff photographer

A small Scot's Pine attempting to flourish on the edge of a heathland bog. Dorset UK. Technically fine, but I was told this was boring, and I have to agree...

Lone Pine.jpg

Contax 645. Zeiss Sonnar 250mm f5.6 Superachromat (with adapter).
Provia 100.
Cropped.

Cheers,
Duff.

bensonga

I think photos you like and which are not liked by others is a great re-framing of the discussion, Cunim!
As a general guideline I think this is a very good one. That said, I like many of the boring photos that have been shared here, so I should not be included in the “others” reference group.

bensonga

Many of the images I like which others see as quite boring have been taken when I am testing a new camera or lens. That was the case for these photos taken in January 2021 with a Zeiss ZM 25mm (from Lens Rentals) on my Leica MP240. I didn't care for the results well enough to buy the lens at that time, but the photos grew on me and so I purchased one earlier this year.

When I showed them to my wife she rolled her eyes in exasperation again. At least I had the excuse of “I’m just testing a lens!”

Gary

L1000146 DNG Green Containers Zeiss 25mm Cropped P1800.jpg

L1000147 DNG Metal Box Zeiss 25mm Cropped-2 P1800.jpg

Last edited:

bensonga

Finding out why photographers make tedious images is actually very interesting. Please keep the little stories coming with those shots.

Here's a real dozer I took with the IQ180. Just two helmets and a model on a table. As I recall, the old leather helmet tells the modern one that he's sorry, but cutbacks mean they've had to switch fighter training from jets to biplanes. New guy is depressed, though he should be happy. Biplanes rule. Even the joke was boring. I liked the owl but I don't think I like this one.

View attachment 209211
Of the many excellent “boring” photos that have been shared here, this is one of my favorites! I especially enjoyed your back story. :)

Gary

bensonga

Thanks for making this subject "format and gear agnostic"

A few weeks ago I participated in a one day landscape photo workshop.

But next to some nice landscapes I also shot these two, don't know if they're boring subjects or boring photos (or both) but somehow I didn't dicard them from my catalog and like them myself but I wonder what impression they make on anyone I show them. I haven't yet, and the audience here is the first time, so please tell me what you think.

Level gauge

Grating

Both M246M + Summicron 50/2 (v1, rigid)
My favorite of these two images is certainly the plants behind the grating. A very interesting image which makes me want to know more about it.

Gary