The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Boring (redux)

pegelli

You do realise that entire photo books have been dedicated to doors. Seems to be an entire photographic genre all of its own.

So no, apparently not boring. ;)
Yes I know, however with those books the appreciation is often more with "who made the photos" rather than "what can we see on the photos" 😲

Here's another door I liked, but probably boring to most people

M246M + Summaron 35/2.8

Duff photographer

Yes I know, however with those books the appreciation is often more with "who made the photos" rather than "what can we see on the photos" 😲
Ah yes, indeed. It reminds me of the doting parents praising their child for the terrible drawing of a house they made, while grimacing at the drawings the other children have made. I use it as a good-mannered "put down" on some well known photographers.;)

As regards the door photo, I can't really fault it. Technically perfect (if such a thing is allowed in photography) which adds to the minimalism of the subject. The over-riding perception of the photo is the strict, ordered linearity contrasting with the untidyness (perhaps decay?) creeping in. I wouldn't hang it on my wall, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Cheers,
Duff

Last edited:

cunim

@pegelli, gotta give it to you. The doors qualify in this thread. Well shot.

Here's some vines shot with my A7R2. I have an even sleepier one in which blowing snow makes the vines hard to see. Yes, this photo is unlikely to interest anyone, but I shot the same vines later, stitched, edited and converted to mono. For some reason, stitching, removing color, and tweaking a bit made these vines into a photo I liked. Showed me that photographic technique has the power to create interest in what otherwise can be boring.

vinesjan23a.jpg

Duff photographer

@pegelli, gotta give it to you. The doors qualify in this thread. Well shot.

Here's some vines shot with my A7R2. I have an even sleepier one in which blowing snow makes the vines hard to see. Yes, this photo is unlikely to interest anyone, but I shot the same vines later, stitched, edited and converted to mono. For some reason, stitching, removing color, and tweaking a bit made these vines into a photo I liked. Showed me that photographic technique has the power to create interest in what otherwise can be boring.

View attachment 210320
Mono is fine of course, but colour can also have its place where the colour palette is limited, as in your pic, adding to that minimalist effect again (as I mentioned with Pieter's pic). Maybe a little more editing work would bring that out more?

Cheers,
Duff.

cunim

Mono is fine of course, but colour can also have its place where the colour palette is limited, as in your pic, adding to that minimalist effect again (as I mentioned with Pieter's pic). Maybe a little more editing work would bring that out more?
What makes this topic so difficult is that, for a photo to be worthy, it has have been taken without boring intent. Sure, I can take a shot of my shoe, but that doesn't qualify here because it never had a chance to be anything but boring. In contrast, I think a lot of us have taken many shots (like my first vines example) that seemed like a good idea at the time, but which turned out to be uninteresting - even to us, We tend to delete those so they can be hard to raise up when we want them for a weird thread.

End of the day, boring is not so much about the photos, as it is about learning to interpret the world in interesting ways. Here's a better version of the vines shot that I don't find boring because I was a different person (more experienced) when I took it. Although it won't show here (severe compression of 13k pixel pano), I had learned to incorporate structure and detail more effectively, and I had learned to appreciate these nuances more. That is why, to my eye, this image is better than the earlier one - but I needed to take that earlier (now boring) shot to understand how to get to the next one.

grapesmono.jpg

Last edited:

bensonga

The color version of this image contains various shades of blue, green and grey totes and is interesting to me, so I made prints of it for an upcoming print exchange. I'm working on monochrome versions now to see if I can find one worth printing. I sometimes like to submit both color and monochrome prints of a photo for an exchange.

I'm not sure about this version. I do like subtle and understated monochrome prints, but I haven't decided yet if this one falls into the "boring" category. Any thoughts?

Gary

_D4_0124 ACR Totes Copper River Seafoods SEP-1 Cropped-2 P1800.jpg

cunim

I'm not sure about this version. I do like subtle and understated monochrome prints, but I haven't decided yet if this one falls into the "boring" category. Any thoughts?
if I apply the logic I use in my previous post, only you know if it is boring. If it demonstrates some knowledge or skill that is an advance over what you previously had, then it is interesting for that reason - your artistic evolution interests anyone who is also trying to evolve. If it is similar to everything else you do, then it is in your style and it becomes a subjective question of whether that is interesting. So, is this boring?

bensonga

if I apply the logic I use in my previous post, only you know if it is boring. If it demonstrates some knowledge or skill that is an advance over what you previously had, then it is interesting for that reason - your artistic evolution interests anyone who is also trying to evolve. If it is similar to everything else you do, then it is in your style and it becomes a subjective question of whether that is interesting. So, is this boring?
Thanks for your post! After processing the color image to monochrome a few other ways, I decided that the version I posted here was actually my favorite. I did create a few that were boring to me, so I am printing this image now on the Red River Aurora Art White fine art matte paper for the print exchange.

Gary