The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Boring

Duff photographer

@Duff photographer, you got me. A good clinical picture of a rock. This one is both technically good and boring (to me, just to me) so this is exactly where it belongs. But now I am trapped trying to guess the deeper relevance. Mineral deposit? Are those blasting pits I see? At least tell us what the rock is.
Unless it's the KT boundary, I have no idea why to would be interesting. :LOL:

Matt

Ahh, I see my boring image has piqued some interest. Here is another photo, or clue, from my very long series on rocks. You may begin to see a pattern.

stone-1.jpg

I think there's a book in this.

Cheers,
Duff.

cunim

We started a thread about boring and it has turned into anything but. My favorite shot so far is the sinking soup. For on topic (boring), I think it is between my dreadful first shot of the suburban street, and @Duff photographer's academic rock exposure. Wait, I'm all involved with that rock now. What are the bulbous inclusions? Embedded fossils in some kind of sandstone? More hints please.

@lookbook, I wouldn't say I am presuming to analyse your photos. I will leave that to the pros. I am just analysing my reactions and many of your photos generate reactions.
  • The first example here is one you already know I like. The scene should be boring but it captures me because it echoes experiences I have had. You don;t know those experiences so I am left wondering what you were thinking when you took it
  • The second example should be boring but it is complex, optically (composition and the way focus is handled), so it interests me. That's the trouble with giving you more examples. Your images are almost always interesting for one reason or another, and that does not fit this topic.
  • I am not sure what you mean about the cougars example. It is wonderful. Is that a famous shot you interpreted? Nothing wrong with that.
Fun with MF Achromatic Digital Backs | Page 16 | The GetDPI Photography Forum
Fun with MF images 2023 | Page 55 | The GetDPI Photography Forum

OK, so this one is not really medium format but it is certainly exotic. I can't remember the camera but it is digital and the sensor area is equivalent to about a 645 film. Like Duff's rocks, this is a technical image, boring to most but interesting to those involved with the subject - human anatomy in this case. No, not what you are thinking at all. The brain, actually.

mystery.jpg

Last edited:

dchew

So many of my boring images are because my Pause button for Nature doesn't work all that well. Here is one example. When I first spotted this scene, the fog made it look really interesting, or so I thought. Alas, the Pause button was inoperable that morning. I even went to the trouble of doing a 2-image stitch as the fog evaporated.

And that useless foreground. Meh.

Dave

Duff photographer

We started a thread about boring and it has turned into anything but. My favorite shot so far is the sinking soup. For on topic (boring), I think it is between my dreadful first shot of the suburban street, and @Duff photographer's academic rock exposure. Wait, I'm all involved with that rock now. What are the bulbous inclusions? Embedded fossils in some kind of sandstone? More hints please.
This will be my final hint before I reveal all and my thoughts on boring images. It's pretty obvious once you see it. ;)

stone-2.jpg

Cheers,
Duff.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

This will be my final hint before I reveal all and my thoughts on boring images. It's pretty obvious once you see it. ;)

View attachment 209004

Cheers,
Duff.
[/QUOTE]
Of course! It's a Fossilized Car Key Holder.

No?

cunim

So many of my boring images are because my Pause button for Nature doesn't work all that well. Here is one example. When I first spotted this scene, the fog made it look really interesting, or so I thought. Alas, the Pause button was inoperable that morning. I even went to the trouble of doing a 2-image stitch as the fog evaporated.

This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. This image should put you to sleep faster than a Greek siren and yet.... There is something there.

There are so many lovely shots on this site that I can end up feeling as if I overdosed on strawberry short cake. Wonderful stuff but needs to be balanced by other styles. I find myself seeking out the quiet and subtle tonalities from monochrome sensors and LF film images. I am learning to appreciate what, at one time, I may have overlooked. Not boring after all and I suppose that means I am maturing as a photographer. I should start investigating minimalism and the like for inspiration.

In that spirit, here's the first boring image I posted, taken further down the boring path. You know, it's still weak but I like it better this way.

_DSF2342-2.jpg

tenmangu81

Dave

This image is wonderful, to me out of the scope of this thread. So, where is the limit between boring and interesting ? ;)

dchew

This image is wonderful, to me out of the scope of this thread. So, where is the limit between boring and interesting ? ;)
I appreicate the comment, Robert. Maybe it was the difference between what I imagined and what I captured. Regardless, based on Peter's response directly above yours, I suspect that is part of his point in starting this thread: to investigate that limit.

Dave

Duff photographer

Stone tool?
what they most bring to mind for me is fresh placed coastal erosion protection rocks.

which I assume they are not.

The series of photos are of a set of tridactyl dinosaur footprints (or the natural casts of). They were exposed at a quarry in Dorset, UK. Unfortunately, I think the quarry workers were unaware of the exposure at the time, as the study of a full series of footprints would give further insight into the gait of the animal that made them, and from that some understanding of its physiology. That's the science interest.

There is another aspect that draws me to the image, or rather subject. While fossils are in themselves very interesting (of course), I find the capture of a brief moment of behaviour, around 150 million years ago, more fascinating. What was the animal that made them - Iguanodon, a theropod, an unknown species whose fossilised remains have not been found, and may never be found? Where was it going? Were they made in the morning, afternoon, or dark? What was the weather like at the time? What scents were pervading the air? What were the sounds? What...?

Clearly the fresh prints were common back in the day, probably made at the edge of a lagoon, but their capture in time is incredibly rare and would have been as a result of a rapid sedimentation process soon after they were made. ...and here we are witnessing the record of a brief event that took place an unimaginable period of time ago.

Cheers,
Duff

Last edited:

lookbook

@lookbook, I wouldn't say I am presuming to analyse your photos. I will leave that to the pros. I am just analysing my reactions and many of your photos generate reactions.
  • The first example here is one you already know I like. The scene should be boring but it captures me because it echoes experiences I have had. You don;t know those experiences so I am left wondering what you were thinking when you took it
  • The second example should be boring but it is complex, optically (composition and the way focus is handled), so it interests me. That's the trouble with giving you more examples. Your images are almost always interesting for one reason or another, and that does not fit this topic.
  • I am not sure what you mean about the cougars example. It is wonderful. Is that a famous shot you interpreted? Nothing wrong with that.
Fun with MF Achromatic Digital Backs | Page 16 | The GetDPI Photography Forum
Fun with MF images 2023 | Page 55 | The GetDPI Photography Forum
I am convinced that nobody wants to see boring pictures.
It's just that everyone finds something different boring.
It's nice for me that you also think the photo (the first one) is great.

Unfortunately, I was thinking about how best to depict the "Faro de Maspalomas" on "Gran Canaria" when I took the photo.
I couldn't take a very appealing picture of it, but I discovered this group of women in a photo, two of whom were looking straight at me and one of whom, as if caught out, was looking away 😊.
I thought that was great and I generally like the photo too. Nobody found it boring in any case, it's only been completely rejected once so far : )

Cougar is an English slang term for women who are looking for a much younger man for a relationship or as a sexual partner. In a non-figurative sense, the word means "cougar" (silver lion). The term alludes to the hair colour on the one hand and the image of "hunting" for partners on the other.*
*https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_(slang)

I would describe the next two pictures you gave me as rather calm.
There is a lot to see and discover ...
The last picture I uploaded I would describe as boring.
It got a lot of clicks on another site but hardly any comments.

That could be a clear sign of boring! : )

pointing.jpg

Pieter 12

The last picture I uploaded I would describe as boring.
I don't find it boring at all. It may not be technically perfect, but I find it intriguing. Who is that? What is he (she) pointing at? What is happening outside the frame that seems to be calling their attention? What are those streaks in the sky? But wait, don't answer. Because then I might find it boring.

cunim

The world seen in interesting ways is never boring.
Can you explain this? I think you mean that interest is something each of us creates and then seeks out - or am I missing it entirely?

Some things are inherently motivating (a more definable term for interest). The opposite gender, the smell of baking bread, certain combinations of light, shadow and color (e.g @dave.gt 's etherial plant photo above, Turner's "The Fighting Temeraire"). We are wired to enjoy these. Other things have to become interesting. Whether you enjoy antique fountain pens (me), first gen Leicas or Pokemon - no one is born with an interest in those things. We become interested because we need to be interested. Hobbies like photography help us to create interests and then expand them as our experience grows. Thus, any image can become interesting - even if it was boring last year. If that is what you mean, we agree fully.

Last edited:

Shashin

Can you explain this? I think you mean that interest is something each of us creates and then seeks out - or am I missing it entirely?

Some things are inherently motivating (a more definable term for interest). The opposite gender, the smell of baking bread, certain combinations of light, shadow and color (e.g @dave.gt 's etherial plant photo above, Turner's "The Fighting Temeraire"). We are wired to enjoy these. Other things have to become interesting. Whether you enjoy antique fountain pens (me), first gen Leicas or Pokemon - no one is born with an interest in those things. We become interested because we need to be interested. Hobbies like photography help us to create interests and then expand them as our experience grows. Thus, any image can become interesting - even if it was boring last year. If that is what you mean, we agree fully.
I was thinking in much simpler terms. I think photography is a way of interpreting the world in such a way that the most mundane objects or scenes can be rendered so they are interesting. Think of "Excusado" by Edward Weston (https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/283282). It is simply a toilet bowl, but the expression of it in a photography changes our perception of it. The same with his peppers. Lookbook's photograph above is another example. The way the object is expressed creates it's own inherent value beyond the object itself.