The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can Anyone Explain Why Medium Format Film Cameras are going up in Price

rollsman44

Film is Expensive and will continue to rise and also developing and Scanning Negatives. So, Why the ridiculous increase in Prices of MF Cameras Thank you
I will assume that film wont be around for long.

Paul Spinnler

Film is exploding. It is a known phenomenon in cultural science that old trends come back over time and in the specific case it is a confluence of:

1) Youtube influencers making it fashionable to shoot film (Verbeeck, Vuhlandes, etc.)
2) A nostalgia for the imperfect as everything is so perfect - the cultural rebound effect of past trends; an SL2 pic with an APO lens looks clinical and doesn't evoke emotions as much as Kodak film does - you need to post process digital pictures in most cameras so they look nice and not like a high res phone picture - eg with looks, presets, etc. although some cameras are better with colours than others (Hassy, Leica S, etc.)
3) People buying into film have sometimes never experienced it - they want to try it is something different and exciting - it is a great hobby and you don't need to be physically fit for it - very accessible
4) Instagram shows how beautiful film can be
5) Photographers want to differentiate themselves and the film look is still great; everyone has an iPhone and your uncle is happy to shoot your wedding for free
6) Gen Z wants to work less and indulge in hobbies like photography and "create" and "self-express" rather than work in an office corporate job where the boss doesn't move and where the C-suite is full of babyboomers which prioritize career of free time; money < time with friends and family especially if real estate is out of reach anyhow
7) VSCO, Instagram, apps made film look fashionable again via filters
8) Scanning is easier with repro setups, google the startup negative supply
9) Developing at home is easier with a lot of info online and Cinestill making easy kits with thermostats for not a lot of money
10) Limited shots means every shot counts and is in the end better - great when endless free imagery just leads to bloated hard drives

I also rediscovered film and recently acquired a Mamiya 7 for travel! Difficult to beat Portra 400!

Film is here to stay and is growing massively atm. Kodak Alaris is healthy and their business has been growing double digit over the last years. In fact, they are struggling to build up enough capacity across the globe to meet demand. Recent price increases make it sustainable. New film stocks are coming out - Cinestill 400D for example up to 4x5 inch ... a golden resurgence is happening atm.

Go into the Leica store and ask for an analogue M - factory new ones have a waiting list of a year. Linhof just posted an ad for more technicians to join the firm in Munich. Arca Swiss reintroduced the 5x7 format set after many years of hiatus.

Get your MF outfit while you can! Film is alive and kicking and has a very bright future!

Mamiya 7, Mamiya RZ, Pentax 67 are hottest commodities in town!

Last edited:

rollsman44

I appreciate the info and makes a lot of sense. Being spoiled with Digital I hate to wait several days to get the Images back and Scanned.
Plus the cost. Auto focus is a MUST for me and Flash on hot shoe and Not on the side of the body. Then Sync cord and Maybe a bracket

Paul Spinnler

It's more like getting an old MF camera, scanning the image with a 40-60 MPX DSLR with a repro stand or a Epson scanner for 600 USD and then treating it in Lightroom / PS for later posting on Instagram. Printing mostly direct via injket and not RA-4 darkroom stuff. You can sell prints online via third parties and you can easily print with a fine art A3 printer for 1k USD at home

Paul Spinnler

I appreciate the info and makes a lot of sense. Being spoiled with Digital I hate to wait several days to get the Images back and Scanned.
Plus the cost. Auto focus is a MUST for me and Flash on hot shoe and Not on the side of the body. Then Sync cord and Maybe a bracket
You can incorporate the whole film chain nowadays for just-in-time fun. You develop after you come home - takes 20 mins if chemistry has right temperature; you agitate a bit in a small tank and then let the 120mm roll hang in the bathroom for an hour. Then you scan with your DSLR - within 90-100 mins of shooting you can post-process your pics in Lightroom.

You can buy a Hasselblad H3D with 80mm lens for 2-3k on ebay and use a film back with it. Quality is awesome and it is AF. Only for 6x7 etc. you don't have AF, but it is not that difficult with those super large viewfinders. Mamiya RZ's waist level finder is one of the largest if not largest I've seen!

Last edited:

rollsman44

Hi Paul, I shot film from 1971 to when Digital arrived( Tough transition) I feel I cant go back to film even for fun. Thank you for sharing the info.

JeffK

That is such an amazing cultural phenomena. I sold all my film stock and equipment - 35mm, 120, 4x5. Then sold a bunch of my digital Leica stuff - M10, 35 cron asph, 50 cron asph, M9M. And jumped into digital medium format with a Phase One IQ260 Achromatic. If interest rates hadn't jumped this year, and money was still cheap to borrow, I'd be shooting with an IQ4150 Achromatic by now.

Having shot film for years, I lost the love for the process. I wasn't very good or patient for the wet darkroom printing either. VSCO came out with some really nice film presets for Lightroom in the early 2010's. I used those extensively with the Leica shots for converting to BW and they printed nicely on inkjet.

With the Phase One Achromatic and processing in Capture One I'm able to get everything I need out of my images. Stopped using Photoshop for stitching and spotting too. All in C1 now

Paul Spinnler

I think the film resurgence is driven by the segment of up to 40 year olds. I also attended a conference where Dr. Andreas Kaufmann of Leica mentioned that it is a phenomenon in the bracket 25-40y. He also doesn't miss film, he said!

Ie people having briefly experienced film and people having never experienced film. Film is not that bad if it is an option alongside digital; clearly, if you just had this back in the day, you might have been burnt. Even Misrach shoots now a Phase back on a H body and he is a die hard Kodak shooter having shot endless sheets of 8x10.

I am hybrid - I enjoy digital very much, but with a digital back it is easy do digitize so I really like the look of 6x7 and overexposed portra and if it is done here and there - why not? Doesn't mean you can't bring along a little digital Leica M in the backpocket if you run around with a Mamiya 7!

So it is more like the cycle of life - new people are born and they try out what you tried 20 years ago! And for all the young people it is exciting to dabble in the best which existed 20 years ago ... what for some is trash (Mamiya RZ?!) is a treasure for a 23 year old nowadays!

Same happened with synths. The analogue synth resurgence started five years ago and now modular, polysynths, desktop moogs are all the rage! There's just something about a real Minimoog with knobs as there is something about Kodak film, a lot of light and a larger format like 6x7, 4x5 ...

Last edited:

rollsman44

I used a RB 67 in 1972. Great camera and for weddings, I cant even believe I used that Beast Hand Held. I still like it. But Now for me it would go on a Tripod

ThdeDude

Time for a relaunch of llfochrome (Cibachrome)!

Wished there would be a way to directly print digital files on silver halide paper (B&W) or chromogenic (color) paper. Wouldn't this be the best of both worlds?

Paul Spinnler

You can print cibachrome in LA

Thyl

There also seems to be a trend for lens adapters allowing use of older lenses on modern digital cameras. It appears that a lot of people do this. And in particular regarding Hasselblad, I'd assume that the release of the universally utilizable CFV II 50c back has pumped new life into their olf V series cameras.

ThdeDude

You can print cibachrome in LA

Thanks. Yes, but I would like to be able to do the printing myself.

Last year where was a small segment about Christopher Burkett on PBS NewsHour documenting his Ilfochrome/Cibachrome printing. Apparently the P-30 chemicals are the problem. He got a chemist to reverse-engineer the P-30 chemicals (the bleach is supposed to be rather tricky). But I wonder whether now, mid-2022, age of the paper is becoming an issue (even if deep frozen).