The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon M200 - thoughts?

raist3d

It seems the small compact competent cameras are slowly disappearing, and Canon is slowly letting the EOS M line die. But it doesn't matter if a camera model is a fit for your needs, and I have been looking again at the M200 as a "better Lumix GM5" successor - since Panasonic- will I will never forgive them for :) - let the MFT GM line die.

So I want to know if anyone has one and what you think? Seems like a perfect change-lens ultra compact. Seems like Canon would cover my needs with that 22mm pancake, the 55-200 tele zoom and the 32mm F1.4.

This may seem crazy having a MFT EP7, but the EP7 focus isn't as good in lower light. Looks like the M200 may be better here and faster, plus more useful face detect.

Anyway I am just mulling this. I welcome image samples and comments "good" or "bad."

Thanks in advance.

Abstraction

I was looking for a compact camera and the Canon M line never did it for me because I insist on a viewfinder, among other things. I opted for the Fujifilm x-e2. It just did it for me.

Oren Grad

I have an M50 set with the 22, 11-22 and 15-45. For my taste, the controls on the M200 are too pared down for comfort, I also prefer having a viewfinder, and the M50 is itself pretty small.

That said, I think the sensor is the same and the AF is going to be comparable if not identical. Both are competent enough for the casual snapshooting I do with the camera. I like the 22 and the 11-22 very much. The kit zoom is evidently prone to substantial sample variation; mine does OK in the wide-to-normal range where I use it, less well at the long end which I don't much need.

raist3d

Thanks. I understand the need for EVF for many and though I find myself needing it a bit more now as my eyesight nor requires glasses, my priority here is smallest.

Thanks for letting me know.

raist3d

Got one today. I must say I am rather impressed with the feature set and how easy the UI is.
AT the same time, a bit mad Canon is killing the EOS M system slowly. It's sad. It's like all capable small interchangeable lens cameras with decent AF are extinct.

raist3d

I decided last minute (very last minute) to keep the M200 and have grown a set of lenses to make it a full system. Discontinued / dead or not be darned.

I was seeing the amount of work I do on smaller cameras and since OM Systems/Olympus and Panasonic have dropped the ball here, I looked into alternatives that push forward some benefit(s) The M200 isn't a bad one.