The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

ggibson

More experiments: the Hoya 25A filter cuts around 590nm. Results are completely red in-camera so it is harder to compose, focus, and meter. It's even easier to blow highlights, so underexposing is usually necessary. Most other colors are gone but with a custom WB and Foveon Classic Blue color, I found it possible to get blue skies back. Combining this with a CPL should result in dark blue skies.

Some redwoods by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Graham, I personally am liking the rendering you're getting with the Green filtration -- it seems to generate just enough separation for both red and yellow greens and adds some depth and texture I find appealing.

ggibson

Graham, I personally am liking the rendering you're getting with the Green filtration -- it seems to generate just enough separation for both red and yellow greens and adds some depth and texture I find appealing.
Thanks, Jack! I agree, the results I'm getting with the X1 filter are a bit better than without. Also, it's hard to appreciate here but when I pixel-peep, the sharpness is better as well. I think the filter removes some chromatic separation in the shorter wavelength colors.

Temescal trail by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Graham,

I took the liberty of grabbing one of your "tonal" IR color images and converting it to B&W. I have to say it generated a very pleasing mono IR rendition. You may be onto something really good :thumbup:

ggibson

Thanks, Jack! Which image did you work with? Feel free to post if you would like.

I must admit I'm a sucker for color, so I don't shoot or process images in B&W often enough. I will take it as a challenge to do some more with this camera though :thumbs:

Until then, I have a few more color images to share that I've already processed :cool:

In the reeds by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

In the reeds by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here's one that I liked. I just grabbed your jpeg from above and dropped it into CS. I added a B&W layer, hit "auto" then tweaked the red, yellow and cyan sliders for the general look, then did a curve to boost the bottom end a bit. I like the etherial quality to them, enough so I may need to reinvestigate a 2-spectrum conversion ;)