The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV 100C?

TechTalk

This post, on the approval of the CVF 100C for use in the UAE by their telecommunications agency, would indicate that it's in the process of being tested. When an announcement might occur is anyone's guess.

CFV 100C UAE Approval.pngCFV 100C Approval Details.png

anyone

Very interesting indeed! Looking forward to the announcement. 100mp BSI sounds good. Let’s see about the price..

ThdeDude

Long overdue in view the X2D was released over a year ago! But at least it's on its way.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

DJI is bringing out some very interesting feature-laden products out lately, the Osmo 3 (which is really nifty), the new small drones (auto track, object avoidance for less than 1k), etc - now they figured out the digital back side ... if they'd just move into the 54x40mm territory ... and break some price barriers. P1 at this stage is solely surviving on the fact of being the only company with the largest sensor, that's it.

Paul Spinnler

Why not? You can attach the new back to a V camera whose lenses cover full frame. It'll be just more expensive to produce and if mounted on a modern Hassy camera they can crop it or give it a bit more than the standard crop as most lenses cover way more than the base specs.

Paul Spinnler

That was a political decision - P1 stopped all third party mounts a few years ago to support the XF platform. They also stopped H backs for that reason. In any case. If they stay below 10k this back will fly.

This new back might be a case for a return to copal and aperture unit lenses mounted on system-agnostic tech cams like Alpa and Arca which can mount P1 and / or Hassy backs. If this thing brings along internal storage ...

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

That's a good thing, especially for V setups.

I think a lot of peeps are now holding their tech cam earmarked cash ready for this one ... makes X shutter lenses less attractive given their locked system status and lack of novelties and comms from P1.

Hassy can only do copal and or aperture unit.

tcdeveau

That's a good thing, especially for V setups.

I think a lot of peeps are now holding their tech cam earmarked cash ready for this one ... makes X shutter lenses less attractive given their locked system status and lack of novelties and comms from P1.

Hassy can only do copal and or aperture unit.
Unless one needs flash or wants some of the movement info baked into metadata, im not sure Hassy users will really be missing out on anything if limited to copal or AU.

For my uses X-shutter didn’t really add anything except a huge price tag for features I could along perfectly fine without it when I was shooting Alpa.

TechTalk

With regard to larger sensors, Hasselblad has already been there and done that. The same is true of DSLR cameras. I wish Phase One future success for the XF medium format DSLR system and and IQ4 larger sensor digital backs, but a major reason they are the last manufacturer in those two categories is because consumer demand went elsewhere; to smaller, lighter, less expensive mirrorless systems. Hasselblad and Fuji recognized this shift and they both acted on it in 2016. They've both been building out their respective mirrorless systems in different ways ever since with each of them doing so successfully. Phase One has been investing in other areas to secure their future.

For those wanting mirrorless medium format, there are enough differences in their product offerings and design concepts that the Fuji GFX and Hasselblad X systems have each been successful in their own right. They've differentiated each of their systems enough that you will find some individuals simultaneously owning and using both GFX and X systems because they appreciate the advantages and capabilities each system offers them because of their differences. They've each attracted their own customer base and found their own space in the market where they can grow. I think we all benefit from differences in products and from the differences in the people who use them.

I expect Hasselblad's focus will continue to be on expanding their X System range of camera, lens, and accessory options — but the unexpected happens from time to time. The X System launch was unexpected, at least by me, in 2016. The introduction of a unique modular mirrorless design concept, with the 907X 50C in 2019, surprised me as well. I think Hasselblad has been successful in creating a unique system with connections, in both design and function, to their previous generations of camera systems; while at the same time not being limited or prevented by their past from offering new technology with new form factors. At least, that's how I see the X System evolution to date.

I have no idea what the future holds and we will likely see surprises from multiple manufacturers. I would personally like to see Hasselblad take the modularity of their current 907X 50C even further, including a new CFV 100C. Modular system design has been a key concept for Hasselblad from the start of their V System decades ago. They've also been very good at creating points of interconnection between each new system and the generations which came before it. Creating additional modular options, like the 907X + CFV combination, would be true to Hasselblad's long heritage and increase their differentiation from other products.

I could envision a variety of potential future products. I'd love to see something along the lines of the V1D, the modular square format concept camera displayed at Photokina 2016 for which they secured a 2018 design patent. There are any number of possibilities for repurposing the basic design concept of the ArcBody again, which supplied the basis for the HTS 1,5 tilt-shift adapter in the H system — both of which can be used with CFV backs. A new version for the X System could open up interesting possibilities including lenses designed for movements (like the ArcBody) or adapters for existing lenses like the HTS. I can imagine, but who knows? There may be better things ahead which I haven't imagined!

Last edited: