The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV 100C?

TechTalk

So the back is in waiting mode until you shoot and then in the moment of the shutter being open / mirror up does an electronic exposure? How does it know when this happens?
In order to eliminate the need for any cables, the CFV backs use a unique triggering mechanism. The mechanism which detects the presence of a dark slide in film magazines is used to trigger CFV backs, past and present, by interrupting a tiny light beam's path to a sensor inside the back. On the attached image of the CFV II 50C sensor and interface plate, it is the illustrated connection labeled 3. This works for all of the 500 Series and any CFV back. For earlier CFV back models, check the manual for connecting with 200/2000 Series cameras.

There are also optional short interface cables for motor driven cameras. They can be used between a CFV back and motor driven cameras which will allow remote triggering from Phocus when shooting tethered. Additionally, there are contacts (labeled 2, 4, and 5 below) for specific camera models which provide for direct electronic triggering of the back.

When using mechanical release from a camera body: as you press in on the shutter release, a pin extends from the lower right corner of the back plate on the camera body (circled in red below) and prevents release if a dark slide is inserted in a film magazine or triggers a CFV back. It's a clever way to eliminate the need for any cables with cameras ranging from a 1957 500C to a 503CW purchased in 2013.

See attachments for illustration.

500C Body Back Plate.pngCFV II 50C Interface.pngCFV II 50C Connectivity.png

Last edited:

tenmangu81

I am seriously considering getting the 28P, and that might trigger my use of the 907x more.
There are some doubts about the compatibility of the 50 Mpx sensor (50c) with the XCD28P. It could work, though, with the 100c to come.

TechTalk

I stand corrected. I have the CFV-50 but not the 907X nor any XCD lenses.
I'm sure others have the same impression you did. So it's good that you brought it up. I've also edited my previous reply to note the similarity in the control grip between the 907X and V1D concept that you pointed out.

Last edited:

darr

There are some doubts about the compatibility of the 50 Mpx sensor (50c) with the XCD28P. It could work, though, with the 100c to come.
Thank you, Robert.
I will not know unless I try it.

I say this based on my personal experience using the ALPA APO Helvetar 28/5.6 xl lens with the CFV I and CFV II digital backs.
I haven't encountered any significant issues that couldn't be resolved in post-processing, contrary to comments from other photographers.

I don't frequently employ lens shifting in my photography.
When I have encountered color shifting, applying the LCC tool effectively rectifies the issue.
I have also shot without the CF capturing multiple exposures to later blend parts of the frames in PS with good success.

About the 100c ... I might not purchase it as I do not need 100 Mpx, but having a backlit sensor would be nice.

We photographers each find our own path to the finished image, and whatever works best for us is what works.

Best to you!

Paul Spinnler

In order to eliminate the need for any cables, the CFV backs use a unique triggering mechanism. The mechanism which detects the presence of a dark slide in film magazines is used to trigger CFV backs, past and present, by interrupting a tiny light beam's path to a sensor inside the back. On the attached image of the CFV II 50C sensor and interface plate, it is the illustrated connection labeled 3. This works for all of the 500 Series and any CFV back. For earlier CFV back models, check the manual for connecting with 200/2000 Series cameras.

There are also optional short interface cables for motor driven cameras. They can be used between a CFV back and motor driven cameras which will allow remote triggering from Phocus when shooting tethered. Additionally, there are contacts (labeled 2, 4, and 5 below) for specific camera models which provide for direct electronic triggering of the back.

When using mechanical release from a camera body: as you press in on the shutter release, a pin extends from the lower right corner of the back plate on the camera body (circled in red below) and prevents release if a dark slide is inserted in a film magazine or triggers a CFV back. It's a clever way to eliminate the need for any cables with cameras ranging from a 1957 500C to a 503CW purchased in 2013.

See attachments for illustration.

View attachment 207606View attachment 207607View attachment 207608
Thanks! That's indeed nifty.

The problem I have a bit with the XF is that it is relatively huge and heavy. I sold a 501 a few years ago, but remember its compactness and build quality. So this is tempting, especially the form factor and old-school haptics with the WL viewfinder.

Curious to see which technological improvements find their way into the back on top of the SSD.

Last edited:

ThdeDude

V1D, the modular square format concept camera displayed at Photokina 2016 for which they secured a 2018 design patent.
Just remembered that Fujifilm also showed/demonstrated a modular GFX in 2019.

A digital back GFX would be nice, but the technical camera market may be too small for Fujifilm.

Last edited:

rdeloe

Just remembered that Fujifilm also showed/demonstrated a modular GFX in 2019.

A digital back GFX would be nice, but the technical camera market may be too small for Fujifilm.

To me, that's a modular camera, not a digital back. To be a useful digital back, they need to put the sensor right up front, so the flange distance is effectively 0 mm. Imagine that with a part that you attach on the front to give you the flange distance you need to use GFX lenses. Actually, you don't have to imagine it. It would look a lot like a Hasselblad CFV 50C II with 907X!

Last edited:

anyone

To me, that's a modular camera, not a digital back. To be a useful digital back, they need to put the sensor right up front, so the flange distance is effectively 0 mm. Imagine that with a part that you attach on the front to give you the flange distance you need to use GFX lenses. Actually, you don't have to imagine it. It would look a lot like a Hasselblad CFV 50C II with 907X!
True, but the GFX modular camera might have its own shutter.

Ai_Print

The rumor mill just ground this out:

jduncan

Long overdue in view the X2D was released over a year ago! But at least it's on its way.
Hi,
I am dreaming that it's because they were working
on accessories and software.
A good EVF for example and advanced MF assistance.

Best regards,

akaru

For my uses X-shutter didn’t really add anything except a huge price tag for features I could along perfectly fine without it when I was shooting Alpa.
I found it useful for dark frames as I'd made too many mistakes with the copal or a lens cap. But it's less elegant than AU at least to me. I look at the history of these shutters, I look at the hoops I had to jump through with Canon EF on other systems, and I throw my arms up and say "no shutter, Sherlock".

I do kind of wish the AU mount had detents for F stops, though...

bab

This is all too exciting to read and discuss but why don't they just put the needed finishing touches on the x2d-100c first?

TechTalk

Given they would likely share a good deal of common functionality, programming, components, and technology; I suspect that much of the development would occur simultaneously for the X2D and whatever may follow in the CFV line. Of course; a manufacturer's priorities in product planning may differ from yours, my own, or other individuals.

ThdeDude

Given they would likely share a good deal of common functionality, programming, components, and technology; I suspect that much of the development would occur simultaneously for the X2D and whatever may follow in the CFV Of course; a manufacturer's priorities in product planning may differ from yours, my own, or other individuals.
My understanding is that much or most functionality, programming, components (sensor), and technology is shared. It's therefore a bit unfortunate that the CFV-100c wasn't introduced when the X2D was introduced, which is now nearly 18 months ago.

TechTalk

My understanding is that much or most functionality, programming, components (sensor), and technology is shared. It's therefore a bit unfortunate that the CFV-100c wasn't introduced when the X2D was introduced, which is now nearly 18 months ago.
Of course; a manufacturer's priorities in product planning may differ from yours, my own, or other individuals. Much of the electronics are the same, but they have to be integrated into a very different form factor.

Ai_Print

This is all too exciting to read and discuss but why don't they just put the needed finishing touches on the x2d-100c first?
Aside from making a corded remote release that can utilize the USB-C port, what else are they needing to do? I am not criticizing your ask, just curious to hear of something I might not have considered...

jduncan

Aside from making a corded remote release that can utilize the USB-C port, what else are they needing to do? I am not criticizing your ask, just curious to hear of something I might not have considered...
Hi,
I agree that an USB-C remote will be great, and that it's missing.
Another option will be an app for the Apple watch, but it could be problematic for people who don't have one (for a small company like Hasselblad trying to create one that works with the plethora of Android wearables will be taxing).
A smartwatch remote will be better in case of bad weather, and no risk of dropping it (cell phone).

I also agree with the idea that it's not enough to delay the back. The firmware was, and they may be working on an EVF or something.

Best regards,