The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decided to sell all GFX gear

algrove

Will go for smaller X gear.

XT-5 + 23 and 35 small primes and one or two zooms (10-24 and 50-140) to replace 100S, 32-64, 100-200, 1.4x , 50/3.5 and never used 20-35.

biglouis

The 10-24 is surprisingly good. I have the first version but if you go for the mkII you get weather sealing. Even wide open I find it edge to edge sharp. Or it could be I got a good one (second hand incidentally, one benefit of the X system, lots of second hand gear if you want to save a few bob).

The 50-140 is fantastic and to my mind so light and small for its range. Balances perfectly on my X-T4 and will also do so on the X-T5 I imagine. When I use it I feel like I am shooting with a prime at all focal lengths, even wide open. However, a cheaper alternative is the XF 55-200 which has remarkable image quality. I use it a lot for capturing architectural detail.

I don't like 23mm (e.g. 35mm) but I do own the 35mm f2 which is just remarkable. Easily as good as Leica 50mm f2 Summicron.

Finally, I cannot recommend enough the new range of f1.4 primes. I own the 18mm f1.4 and it rarely comes of my X-T4. Incredible sharpness, lovely colouration. I use it a lot for architecture, objects and even environmental portraits.

Actually, one final, final recommend: if you want a lens which is pure creativity and fun, I recently acquired the XF56mmf1.2 (also second hand). I don't use it that much but it is really great for sticking on the camera, wandering around and finding subjects or views to use it on. Obviously, it is fantastic for portraiture which I suspect it is most used for. I've used it for all sorts of landscapes and objects.

Good luck with your decision.

LouisB

Paratom

quite a change from medium format to dx sensor size. I assume you have the advantage of stayingbFuji means similar menue and user interface?
otherwise, personally, I would not exclude the FF options.
Maybe you can also keepmthe gfx for some time side by side with the smaller system to make sure you dont miss it later on.
otherwise I can somewhat understand. I am just in winter vacation, and the best images I took here where not with my x2d, but with the small Canon G1xiii, because I brought it to places, where I would not bring the x2d (at least during vacation).
certainly most important to bring a camera and get the shot.

k-hawinkler

Will go for smaller X gear.

XT-5 + 23 and 35 small primes and one or two zooms (10-24 and 50-140) to replace 100S, 32-64, 100-200, 1.4x , 50/3.5 and never used 20-35.
WOW Lou. How come?
What other camera systems do you keep?

algrove

WOW Lou. How come?
What other camera systems do you keep?
Yes, a big change, but I want a small AF system with analog dials to use when not taking my M system or Q2 The top screen configurations do not excite me to use. I did enjoy using the 50R when first getting into Fuji Medium Format. With an external grip it was terrific to use.

I did not mention I had an XT-3 some years back with too many lenses. At that time I was going way up in sensor size (from Phase 39 to 100 and then 150 MP) and had too many systems so I sold the XT-3 and lenses while they were collecting dust.

Now at exit level versus entry level in age, I am making tough choices. I had had in mind to get a larger printer for 24" prints or even a 44" printer. Then I realized I would need a larger house in which to mount these on our walls which were nearly full already. No way. So then I decided to keep printing 13x19 and 17x22. I do not need a 100MP sensor to print that large, even if cropped, since Topaz is so very good at what it does when the need arises.

That is my reasoning, be it correct for me, but maybe not correct for others.

algrove

OK, so X-T5 on the way. Started with the 70-300 since it's not large and takes the 1.4x or 2.0x if wanted, 56/1.2 v2 for portraits, 16/2.8 since it's small at 5 oz, small 23/2.0 and 35/2.0 and X-M adapter to try some M lenses in MF mode. Was thinking of a mid-range zoom, but so far scratched the idea and bought my 3 favorite prime FL's instead. Wonder if the 50-140 is up for a refresh since it was recently on sale by Fuji.

The new 1.4 lenses are appealing, but their sizes are biggish and I mainly want small. Might try some 3rd party Noctilux-like lens for extreme bokeh in 35mm FL (50mm FF equiv). Might is the key word. Anyone tried one of these?

scho

Yes, a big change, but I want a small AF system with analog dials to use when not taking my M system or Q2 The top screen configurations do not excite me to use. I did enjoy using the 50R when first getting into Fuji Medium Format. With an external grip it was terrific to use.

I did not mention I had an XT-3 some years back with too many lenses. At that time I was going way up in sensor size (from Phase 39 to 100 and then 150 MP) and had too many systems so I sold the XT-3 and lenses while they were collecting dust.

Now at exit level versus entry level in age, I am making tough choices. I had had in mind to get a larger printer for 24" prints or even a 44" printer. Then I realized I would need a larger house in which to mount these on our walls which were nearly full already. No way. So then I decided to keep printing 13x19 and 17x22. I do not need a 100MP sensor to print that large, even if cropped, since Topaz is so very good at what it does when the need arises.

That is my reasoning, be it correct for me, but maybe not correct for others.
Congratulations Lou. I hope that I can muster the resolve to follow your lead to completion. I also sold off all of my Fuji MF gear (and Pentax and Hasselblad gear). Problem is that I keep backsliding with new gear purchases (not MF, but other formats that are also expensive). GAS is hard to lose, but I am trying.

scho

So Carl, what gear are you getting?
No new gear KH. I am getting ready to sell off most of my remaining kit with the goal of ending up with an iPhone and one camera. I no longer see the need for a "travel camera" after reviewing the images I've taken on trips the past few years. Both the iPhone 11 and my current iPhone 14 have produced images that are more than adequate for my needs. I no longer do much printing for exhibits or to sell as the market has dried up locally after the pandemic. Finally, old age ailments are catching up with me and I am physically unable to tote around heavy gear on trails in the local gorges like I used to do. Dealing with GAS will be a lot like quitting smoking, cold turkey.

algrove

G.A.S. made me do it.
I bought the TTArtisan APS-C 35 f 0.95. My dealer had no idea of when his next batch of black XT-5's would arrive so got one on Amazon. Sure this lens is MFocus, but want to see how a lens like this could work with candid shooting and see how the bokeh actually looks. More later.

Also decided on the three 1.4 newish lenses since looking at many videos by trusted (?) people who buy their gear, the IQ was worth upping to the sizes of these lenses over the older nice, small f2.0 lenses of many years. Also my dealer had a few 150-600 he wanted to part with and I nabbed one. Again G.A.S. made me do it. I know it's not even close to small at over 3 labs, but for wildlife I want to try it.

Last edited:

Knorp

No new gear KH. I am getting ready to sell off most of my remaining kit with the goal of ending up with an iPhone and one camera. I no longer see the need for a "travel camera" after reviewing the images I've taken on trips the past few years. Both the iPhone 11 and my current iPhone 14 have produced images that are more than adequate for my needs. I no longer do much printing for exhibits or to sell as the market has dried up locally after the pandemic. Finally, old age ailments are catching up with me and I am physically unable to tote around heavy gear on trails in the local gorges like I used to do. Dealing with GAS will be a lot like quitting smoking, cold turkey.
Hi there Carl, sorry to read 'old age ailments' are getting the better of you.
Hopefully you find, or already have, a fine camera system to keep you going.
Take care.

Knorp

Congrats! Now to set it up for your type of photography.
Unless G.A.S. again gets the better of me, I'll start in all modesty; Voigtländer 35mm f/2.0 Macro APO-Ultron (manual) and Fujifilm XF 27mm f/2.8 R WR (pancake).
I'm looking forward to setting up the film simulations !