The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital medium format in 2024 – it's not dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doppler9000

Or, was is it photoshopped? If you can't personally vouch for the authenticity, you should describe the provenance of the photo.
I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the image - I got it online.

If I *do* show an authenticated image, what will your reaction be? Will you accept a premise, or say it doesn’t matter?

EDIT- I see - your reaction depends on the facts.

Last edited:

TechTalk

I like the sentiment but it's a bit of stretch to justify the "Made in Sweden" label on the basis of the heritage, etc...
There is no stretch and nothing to justify. The cameras and accessories items made in Sweden by Hasselblad say Made in Sweden. What a concept.

It also has to be marked Made in Sweden to satisfy legal requirements. It's required by the import laws and regulations in countries, like the United States and many others, that products be marked with their country of origin. In an earlier post, I linked this brief document from the U.S. International Trade Commission which says:

"Usually a new article of commerce–normally one with a different name–is found to result from any process that Customs decides has brought about a “substantial transformation” in the pre-existing elements. Imports into the United States must be marked or labeled in English with their country of origin, based on this principle, under rules laid out in Customs regulations in order to tell ultimate consumers the origin of the goods they buy or use; there are exceptions for items that cannot be marked without damaging them or for goods that will be significantly changed before reaching the ultimate purchaser.

If there's any stretch requiring justification, it's the made up controversy over where Hasselblad makes their cameras.

Last edited:

wattsy

There is no stretch and nothing to justify. The cameras and accessories items made in Sweden by Hasselblad say Made in Sweden. What a concept.

It also has to be marked Made in Sweden to satisfy legal requirements. Blah blah blah drone
I was directly responding to Steve's post where he raised the matter of Hasselblad's heritage.

Doppler9000

If the photo of the box you uploaded is real and not photoshopped, *or* a joke, with the joke being on anyone who took the imprint seriously.
So either the imprint is a fake to be taken seriously, or real, and taken as a joke.

As long as your position(s) is/are principled…

TechTalk

Seems to be more about marketing than proud, foundational principles.

For example, for many years, Hasselblad had Novoflex build and label bellows for them in Germany.

To emphasize the foundational Swedish design principles and heritage(?), they marked the box with “Box made in Sweden”!

Perhaps it was designed by the Volvo team.
I recognize the box as one of the old silver boxes in which some V System equipment was packaged and some were marked that the box was made in Sweden. It's likely decades old, but so am I and remember seeing boxes marked this way.

I don't know who marked the box made in Sweden. Perhaps the company that made the box marked it when they made it.

Do us all a little favor and conduct a thorough investigation to find out who actually did the deed. Most importantly, find out where the wood pulp originated so we can determine if the box is deserving of it.

Last edited:

Doppler9000

Do us all a little favor and conduct a thorough investigation to find out who actually did the deed.
Given the great care Hasselblad takes with its branding, and the obvious value of the brand, I think it’s quite unlikely that the boxmaker unilaterally decided to imprint the labels.

Of course, you know this and are simply responding for airtime. A little odd to complain about off-topic posts, then make a series of off-topic posts, but par for the course, sadly.

anyone

I recognize the box as one of the old silver boxes in which some V System equipment was packaged and some were marked that the box was made in Sweden. it's likely decades old, but so am I and remember seeing boxes marked this way.

I don't know who marked the box made in Sweden. Perhaps the company that made the box marked it when they made it.

Do us all a little favor and conduct a thorough investigation to find out who actually did the deed. Most importantly, find out where the wood pulp originated so we can determine if the box is deserving of it.
Awesome! I will need to check my Hasselblad 500C/M original packaging for this :D

TechTalk

Given the great care Hasselblad takes with its branding, and the obvious value of the brand, I think it’s quite unlikely that the boxmaker unilaterally decided to imprint the labels.
I hope every manufacturer takes great care with its branding and promotes the value of their brand. But back to the box you introduced into the discussion, I actually don't know who decided to mark some boxes Made in Sweden.

I know the box is pretty old because I also remember when they switched from those silver boxes to using those thick matte gray cardboard boxes in maybe the mid to late 1980s. While you're investigating, could you please find out who the owners of the company were back then? It's changed several times since Victor sold it in 1976. Let's find out who the people are responsible for making these decisions!

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Rather time ban TT and Hcubell so it can be used for MF news.

I find it incredibly annoying that the thread focused on gear news can be hijacked like this and drawn into pointless discussions by contentious individuals, one of which personally insults people.

I would appreciate if we could discuss the upcoming P1 products in a civil manner once they drop.

Last edited:

hcubell

So either the imprint is a fake to be taken seriously, or real, and taken as a joke.

As long as your position(s) is/are principled…
I assume you meant to say that "either the imprint is a fake NOT to be taken seriously, or real, and taken as a joke." I cannot imagine why I would take seriously a photoshopped imprint on a cardboard box, except as a reflection on the person who passed it along as authentic to make a point.

Let's try hard not to import the rampant Hasselblad bashing from the other medium format forum. If that's your thing, you can always find a very receptive audience there. However, this forum is almost without exception populated by very capable and serious photographers with lots of valuable experience that they share in a constructive and respectful fashion about all different kinds of medium format camera systems.

Doppler9000

Awesome! I will need to check my Hasselblad 500C/M original packaging for this :D
It seems that if the item is made in Sweden, the box has no place of manufacture printed on it.
I assume you meant to say that "either the imprint is a fake NOT to be taken seriously, or real, and taken as a joke." I cannot imagine why I would take seriously a photoshopped imprint on a cardboard box, except as a reflection on the person who passed it along as authentic to make a point.

Let's try hard not to import the rampant Hasselblad bashing from the other medium format forum. If that's your thing, you can always find a very receptive audience there. However, this forum is almost without exception populated by very capable and serious photographers with lots of valuable experience that they share in a constructive and respectful fashion about all different kinds of medium format camera systems.
YOU were the one taking the fake seriously - imagining that someone had photoshopped “BOX MADE IN SWEDEN” on a Hasselblad box.

I have not bashed Hasselblad at all - I am very glad DJI has put in strong management and needed cash to bring the company back from the brink, to a healthy position, developing strong offerings.

I commented on the printing that Hasselblad put on a box, which doesn’t seem like “bashing”, but we all have our sensitivities and triggers.

TechTalk

I suspect the manufacturers of view and tech cameras are extremely happy that 2024 began with Hasselblad introducing a new 100 megapixel back with a back-illuminated sensor and on-sensor PDAF at a price of $8,200. It may give some noticeable boost to that market due to the capabilities, versatility, and value it offers for the price.

In addition to view and technical camera users, owners of V System Hasselblad cameras also have a new digital back option for the cameras they enjoy using. Plus the back comes with a camera body to use autofocus XCD lenses with optional adapters (including a 0.8x speed booster/focal length reducer) available for H System lenses and accessories. There is no other digital back that offers this range of options except for the previous CFV II 50C.

It's currently the best seller in medium format cameras at B&H as it has been since its introduction — BUT our friendly neighborhood reseller Steve at Capture Integration actually has them currently in stock to ship. (You deserve the business for all you've done over the years to engage with and support the community Steve — Thanks!)

That's 2024 medium format news with an impact on the existing market and opens the door wider for those with a potential interest in exploring it. An extremely compact and lightweight 100 megapixel medium format mirrorless autofocus camera with a detachable V System mount back is something that's actually pretty interesting to a variety of photographers it seems.

Last edited:

Pieter 12

I suspect the manufacturers of view and tech cameras are extremely happy that 2024 began with Hasselblad introducing a new 100 megapixel back with a back-illuminated sensor at a price of $8,200. It may give some noticeable boost to that market due to the capabilities, versatility, and value it offers for the price.

It's currently the best seller in medium format cameras at B&H as it has been since its introduction — BUT our friendly neighborhood reseller Steve at Capture Integration actually has them currently in stock to ship. (You deserve the business for all you've done over the years to engage with and support the community Steve — Thanks!)
Interestingly, the CI site is vague about what you get for the price. The back and body? Back, body and lens (as pictured)? Back, body, lens, battery, strap, charger and cables? I wouldn't plunk down the dough unless there was a better description of what I'm buying.

anyone

One item that is not included is annoying: no charger. Who started this trend to omit it? I think one deserves a proper charger when spending EUR 7.799.

hcubell

It seems that if the item is made in Sweden, the box has no place of manufacture printed on it.

YOU were the one taking the fake seriously - imagining that someone had photoshopped “BOX MADE IN SWEDEN” on a Hasselblad box.

I have not bashed Hasselblad at all - I am very glad DJI has put in strong management and needed cash to bring the company back from the brink, to a healthy position, developing strong offerings.

I commented on the printing that Hasselblad put on a box, which doesn’t seem like “bashing”, but we all have our sensitivities and triggers.
We are talking past each other here. The photo that you posted was being passed off by you as an undoctored photo that you personally took. I assumed you were not lying and that it was genuine. My reaction was, and still is, that, even if the imprint is genuine, the imprint is a "joke" of sorts by Hasselblad. I have never seen anything like that in my life. I could see a box stating where a product inside it was manufactured. Who would care where the packaging of a product was made? That is why I questioned whether the imprint was photoshopped. I did not say it was photoshopped.

TechTalk

Interestingly, the CI site is vague about what you get for the price. The back and body? Back, body and lens (as pictured)? Back, body, lens, battery, strap, charger and cables? I wouldn't plunk down the dough unless there was a better description of what I'm buying.
You can always try Google. But let me help you.

https://www.captureintegration.com/the-new-hasselblad-907x-100c-announced

https://www.hasselblad.com/v-system/907x-cfv-100c

https://hasselblad.com/907X CFV 100C Data Sheet

https://www.hasselblad.com/907X & CFV 100C - FAQ

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix/Ci

I would say rather than vague, we simply are not in the habit of listing all the items that come inside the boxes of the products we sell. Like, we don't really do it at all. But it's not a bad suggestion. Would be helpful to have the included items listed on products like this right on the store page. Though we do often do unboxing videos for newly released products that show the contents.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Status
Not open for further replies.