The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Review Forum to Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggles

This is surprising. It seemed very active:

Paul Spinnler

It is either not profitable or not profitable enough - remember it is owned by Amazon and they are doing a cost cutting exercise whereby everything gets cut which doesn’t fulfil their review criteria.

It is a recessionary environment at the moment.

They fell through as part of the "annual operating plan review", they say in the release.

Last edited:

jduncan

It is either not profitable or not profitable enough - remember it is owned by Amazon and they are doing a cost cutting exercise whereby everything gets cut which doesn’t fulfil their review criteria.

I disagree with the idea that is necessary for Amazon. The retail operation has a deficit and the AWS new entrants. The problem is that the retail deficit is just a manifestation of the desire to become borderline monopolistic. It's normal for a new business to run deficits as they expand, but Amazon has years of being the dominant force, at a Global scale excluding China. So instead of cutting costs like crazy Amazon could decide that is ok for other retailers, bookstores, etc to exist and that it's ok for Amazon not to have a presence in all the areas of the economy, said, pharmacies, or satellite networks.

But it's not in the nature of these companies to admit a top brass misdirection, it's easier to fire people.

Best regards,

richardman

Totally expected. AMZN's #1 priority is to become #1, and DPReview was bought to enhance their positions against other online sellers like B&H.I guess they decided that the ROI isn't there.

buildbot

They fell through as part of the "annual operating plan review", they say in the release.
By most metrics it’s really not, there is a concerted effort to make people think there is though.

Very sad to see Amazon running about like a headless chicken and pecking things that don’t need to be. Is running a forum secretly very expensive? For a company that runs AWS?

Clearly Amazons leadership has lost the plot. Intentional cruelty is the point - their latest round of layoffs complete just before their mandatory return to the office, so people have to uproot themselves and resettle, without any job security.

edit - I thought it was just the forum part - the entire website?! Wow. Insanity

Last edited:

Maxx9photo

I remember when they're one of the popular review sites, This was when digital cameras just getting into the baby steps of replacing film world.

I was not a big fan of the forum itself due to the layout is folded on each replies from member, where you can't see the details.

I did like the review section which has the prologue/introduction/analytics to the picture samples.

vjbelle

Jim Kasson moderated the MF forum which was fairly active. If it was just digital maybe it would survive but there are a lot of people - body count, payroll - who actively review product and post commentary and that's the real cost. No matter what it is gone......

Victor B.

KC_2020

I noite
Sites like DPReview, including and especially the forums, can become a written storehouse of knowledge. That's all going to disappear. What a shame.
If only there was a large, profitable American Web Server network that cold host the site for what would be an insignificant cost given their scale in the market.

Steve Hendrix

Sites like DPReview, including and especially the forums, can become a written storehouse of knowledge. That's all going to disappear. What a shame.

Yes, the amazing library of in depth product reviews and specs, sortable by date, by manufacturer, etc, with raw file comparison grids for every ISO from nearly every significant camera from the past 20+ years. Gone. That is indeed a shame.

Steve Hendrix/CI

atanabe

DPReview was, by a wide margin, the least biased in their assessment of camera gear. Their performance charts were the same across all cameras and formats and you could easily evaluate the sensor-lens performance. I think, can not prove, that they had disclaimers when they reviewed a camera at a vendor sponsored venue. Sad to see them go knowing all that is left are YouTubers schilling for clicks.

JeffK

there are tools out there to copy the whole dpreview site before it's gone. Can be posted to GitHub.

buildbot

there are tools out there to copy the whole dpreview site before it's gone. Can be posted to GitHub.
The camera comparison tools are pretty custom and probably won't be saved even by a full warc capture or browser based scraping - you'd have to automate going through all of their options basically. The text content can be saved at least.

Would that be legal?
Depends where you live?

atanabe

The camera comparison tools are pretty custom and probably won't be saved even by a full warc capture or browser based scraping - you'd have to automate going through all of their options basically. The text content can be saved at least.

Depends where you live?
Looks like that would not be possible as per their copyright on their site.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1998–2023 Digital Photography Review All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.