The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm GFX100 II Teaser Video

vjbelle

The Kirk universal plate is always a backup for me and I also have the Arca Swiss L plate. Mostly, though, my camera is glued to my M-Two and a bracket isn't needed.

Victor B.

diggles

I'm trying the Arca-Swiss L Plate. It's a bit heavy. It has a predrilled hole for the GFX 100S registration pin, which is nice for alignment. Hopefully, the pin for the GFX 100 II is in the same spot. Also picked up the EVF tilt mechanism from KEH. I've missed that feature after moving from the GFX 50s to the 100s.

Gojophoto

Another consideration for architectural photography, is do you use strobes to light interiors? When lighting interiors it is common to make multiple photographs and light each one differently so they can be combined in post. Basically, take a shot then move the light, take another shot and move the light again, etc.

The Fuji has a mechanical shutter that can be triggered at a distance with a radio slave so you don't have to go back to the camera between each shot. Unless you are using XT lenses or have an assistant to move the lights in between shots for you this is not an option with the IQ.

In my opinion Fuji has stepped it up with the release of the TS lenses and the new 100 ii. They are providing photographers with a professional system that is more flexible than anything else out there in the medium format category. And they are not compromising quality for flexibility. Like @Dave Gallagher said in his article, "Thank you Fujifilm!"
Thanks for posting this. It is very important to me to use strobes with architectural photography. Does that mean that Phase One camera system won't work with radio slave? I am looking to buy a medium format that works well both in studio for product/food photography and also architectural photography (mostly interiors). What would your advice be? To get a Fuji or Phase One? thanks.

vjbelle

I'm trying the Arca-Swiss L Plate. It's a bit heavy. It has a predrilled hole for the GFX 100S registration pin, which is nice for alignment. Hopefully, the pin for the GFX 100 II is in the same spot. Also picked up the EVF tilt mechanism from KEH. I've missed that feature after moving from the GFX 50s to the 100s.
Warren.... I've had so many L-Plates for various cameras that the cost looking back is somewhat astronomical. I think that the AS L-Plate is going to become my mainstay. First of all the side plate can be quickly removed and easily stored for only those times when that particular camera would be used in Portrait position. A dedicated L-Plate from RRS or anyone else always has the vertical bar attached 'OR' it is cumbersome to remove. With the AS a movement of the locking lever and the vertical bar is gone or attached. Also AS makes available just the camera plate so that the vertical bar is available for any camera with that plate attached. Acra and Kirk also have generic L-Plates but both of those systems also add an additional weak point of having to have another clamp to hold the camera.

I've had my AS L-Plate for probably 20 years and it has barely been used but I'm giving it prime time for my 100 II.

Victor B.

diggles

First of all the side plate can be quickly removed and easily stored for only those times when that particular camera would be used in Portrait position.
Doh! For some reason this never occurred to me and it is such a great advantage compared to other brackets. If I'm using the camera handheld I don't want the side bracket, so it is such a great option to take it off.

Overall, I like the Arca a lot and haven't come up with any complaints except for it is a bit heavier. I'm finding it works quite nicely for tethering as well. I can easily slide the camera out of the way when plugging in the cord, then slide it back to hold the cord snugly in place. I tried to do the same with a Rogeti plate I have for the 100s and the Rogeti wants to move as the screw is tightened so I am not able to do this same thing.

I was very unsure about purchasing the AS L-Plate, but after using it I find no reason to get something different.

Warren