The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm GFX100 II Teaser Video

bab

What are the new features that you can’t live without OR aren’t available in another system with this sensor or smaller or larger sensor

Paul Spinnler

The new tilt lenses are "cheap" compared to P1 stuff, record shift and tilt, need no LCC and may just be enough for the majority of photographers ...

Could be that the price to upgrade a single XT 32 HR to tilt costs not much more than a whole GFX T/S lens ...

Price-performance ratio of P1 gets awkwardly bad nowadays compared to competition.

Last edited:

steveash

Yes, the T/S lenses are quite a significant step. It's not a mass market feature but it positions the GFX as a serious camera for the kind of user who benefits from medium format the most. The AF and video advances aren't relevant to me but I can see that it helps broaden their marketplace. For now I continue to watch with interest.

Paul Spinnler

I think from a pure "production" standpoint a GFX kit with T/S lenses has become a compelling proposition for architectural photographers. I can imagine a scenario whereby someone's heart may lie with the "tech cam" process, but, after some thought and practice, just grabbing a GFX with a T/S shift lens which doesn't require LCC, records tilt and shift for easy post-processing, etc. may just be the thing you pick up on a daily basis to push through assignments real quick ... leaving the P1 for the "artsy" and "enthusiast" crowd.

It's like with Canon - you know it is not as high-res or sharp or whatever as a P1 XF combo, but it is nimble, quick, get's the job done and the majority of clients don't care ... clearly, for a big fine art print of a mountainscape the P1 combo still wins in terms of sheer resolution, DR, etc., but the latest GFX move will chip away another tiny bit of the remaining market for P1, especially efficiency oriented architectural photographers now have a compelling option with the T/S lenses, especially considering the "bang-for-the-buck" aspect.

A single XT 40 tilt lens costs list more than the new GFX including a lens ...

John Black

It's nice to see a faster prime with the new 55/1.7. That spaces nicely with their 110/2. Looking forward to seeing some hands-on type videos.

cunim

I watched the entire launch video. OMG it was painful. Robots standing or sitting in careful poses and speaking slowly and clearly. The company people were fine, but most of the non-company participants looked like they desperately wanted to be somewhere (anywhere) else. Dear Fuji, these corporate launch videos can be done better. That said, I pre-ordered one.

Paul Spinnler

The lens collar on the 30 ts is a wonderful addition, Fuji made this lens for stitching as well!
The new system with that one lens will be a very enticing for architectural photographers - given the price of a tilt XT lens is higher than the body and a new 30mm - some people may just try the Fuji route given complete lack of vignetting, LCC, advanced film sims, etc.

In practice it will be a very nimble system and 30mm on the crop sensor is the perfect base focal length …

P1 needs to establish again a technological gap as in the old days … eg with film like DR of 17 stops - the Fuji I read has only 14 …

drevil

Staff member
i just skipped through the final video and cant believe what i saw, everyone seemed like a robot, those akward silences between sentences. really bad writing of what was to say.
it was close to unbeareable to watch, even the snippets that i watched.

awesome= 30mm TS, but i wanna see RAW files with my own eyes. and the builtin tripod mount....really nice(also didnt like how they talked badly about third party lenses. calling them huge, well the 30mm isnt small either)

a GF500mm coming, nice

the GFX100II looks nice but i left the GFX system and the GFX100II wont get me back, but i might be interested in a mint second hand GFX100S

vjbelle

The 30mm tilt makes a lot of sense. A wide tilt is the only thing missing in my system. The new camera also adds enhancements in areas that are important to me. I watched about 15 seconds of the video and turned it off. Will see if they can ship on the 26th.

Victor B.

buildbot

i just skipped through the final video and cant believe what i saw, everyone seemed like a robot, those akward silences between sentences. really bad writing of what was to say.
it was close to unbeareable to watch, even the snippets that i watched.
I watched about 15 seconds of the video and turned it off
I think it's really funny they choose today given Apple had their keynote as well - could not be a worst contrast in terms of production!

The camera itself looks awesome. Interesting there is a new sensor with a different full well capacity - that seems like more than just micro-lens tweaks?
Super tempting to sell my 120mm LS Macro+IQ260 for funds for one of these, Fuji really knocked it out of the park.

JLeeSaxon

The EVF is bonkers. 2048 x 1536 panel with 1x(!!) magnification.

Also, for anyone who thinks they don't care about the much faster sensor readout because they shoot static subjects, better AF and less "jello" are not the only benefits. The faster readout will also make the EVF much more real-time / responsive than the 100 / 100s / Hasselblads for fine manual focus adjustment.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
P1 needs to establish again a technological gap as in the old days … eg with film like DR of 17 stops - the Fuji I read has only 14 …
I would argue that's there already. An IQ4 in Dual Exposure or Automated Frame Averaging mode blows away the real world dynamic range of any one-raw-capture option on the Fuji. As in, not a subtle difference.

Of course I'm biased.

Steve Hendrix

I think it's really funny they choose today given Apple had their keynote as well - could not be a worst contrast in terms of production!

The camera itself looks awesome. Interesting there is a new sensor with a different full well capacity - that seems like more than just micro-lens tweaks?
Super tempting to sell my 120mm LS Macro+IQ260 for funds for one of these, Fuji really knocked it out of the park.

To me, I love that they both are on the same day. Kind of like the Super Bowl and the World Series on the same day (for me). And yes, I do have to order a new iPhone as my XR is barely working after my abuse.

Steve Hendrix/CI

nameBrandon

I watched the entire launch video. OMG it was painful. Robots standing or sitting in careful poses and speaking slowly and clearly. The company people were fine, but most of the non-company participants looked like they desperately wanted to be somewhere (anywhere) else. Dear Fuji, these corporate launch videos can be done better. That said, I pre-ordered one.
I woke up at 3AM local in the hopes that someone would post the order / pre-order page at the start of the event. They did not... and I too, was forced to watch the entire event until B&H (first out of the gate) posted the product page. It was.. painful. I'm very excited for the camera and lens to come in, but hope I don't have to watch another live Fuji event anytime soon.

diggles

I would argue that's there already. An IQ4 in Dual Exposure or Automated Frame Averaging mode blows away the real world dynamic range of any one-raw-capture option on the Fuji. As in, not a subtle difference.
I'd agree on Frame Averaging for real world use is an amazing feature, but I've yet to be happy with Dual Exposure in the field. Sure the dynamic range improvement is there, but unless the subject matter is perfectly still fine details like grass and leaves look slightly posterized.

Paul2660

Interesting as I found frame averaging for landscape work, very limited due to motion artifacts, i.e. any wind blowing and the image pretty much worthless (tree leaves, cars moving)
However with DE, I can almost always work with wind and not get artifacts on the leaves. But last fall I discovered that DE is very tricky to use around water. If you have current moving water depending on the speed of the water, you can get some very bad artifacts. I was shooting a sunset above a river that had slight wind blowing on the water, creating very faint ripples. The ripples were reproduced in certain parts of the image with artifacts that were very difficult to remove. The trees which were along the river bank were fine and they had the same wind effecting them. I have found that frame averaging on water can produce a much smoother look to the water and often use it along with a straight frame and combine them later on. With DE I usually only use it with shutter speeds of 1/30 or higher as if I need a slower speed usually the IQ4 can take a very clean image without need for DE. Both features are excellent tools and I will always use DE in the field but follow the DE with a straight frame.

Bigger issues for me are weight/mass of the IQ4 system and attempting to carry it in the field. Just getting to where I don't want to have that much on my back anymore.

Paul

buildbot