The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm's GFX 50S Thumbs up or down

kdphotography

It's Fuji's choice of camera strap lugs that is the common complaint. I don't like them either. You can find decent strap alternatives but you're still stuck with using the camera lugs. :(

Paul2660

It's Fuji's choice of camera strap lugs that is the common complaint. I don't like them either. You can find decent strap alternatives but you're still stuck with using the camera lugs. :(
Thanks. Better description.

They just should used the same lugs that they use on the X series.

Paul caldwell

chrismuc

I use the GFX with the Fuji 23/ 45/ 63/110 AF lenses and on tripod with TSE 17, 24 and others 3rd. party. Similar to fmueller I can compare to Sony A7RII and P1 CCD, in my case IQ180. The Fuji files based on the 44x33mm 50 MP Sony sensor are best by a visible margin. Colors 'pop', sharpness especially with the native Fuji lenses is over the top, files are cleaner and more natural compared to A7RII, shadow recovery is better than A7RII, the Fuji files are IMO 'more relaxed', look less 'stressed' compared to the A7RII files ('MF look' ?) - at base ISO and at any higher ISO. The IQ180 is only ahead regarding total resolution but the colours are less neutral, more difficult to adjust right and anyhow only on a comparable level at ISO 35 (CCD), above the Fuji wins hands down.
Also the multi AF point systems with face/eye detection works perfectly, especially for portrait. AF speed is not 'very'*quick but absolutely ok as long as no running kids or quick sport. The upcoming 100 MP version with phase detect AF will bring the system to P1 XF level with all the mirrorless cam advantages ... for a presumingly reasonably four digit EUR/USD price which justifies the investment in the GF ecosystem.
I have no problem with the straps but maybe coz they are similar to the Contax 645, that I'm used to.
[Enclosed two recent sample pics. First with GF 45f2.8, second with GF 23f4]
m_DSF7069.jpgm_DSF7124.jpg

Oren Grad

If you are considering the GFX, go to Jim Kasson's blog and read everything he has posted about it (more than 70 posts so far!):

Search Results GFX

That's not meant as a warning against the camera - quite the contrary, he likes it. But he has done many careful tests of lens performance, focus behavior, handling and other factors, with results all presented in a thoughtful, low-key style. That will give you lots of insight into the camera's strengths and weaknesses and help in deciding whether it's a good match to your needs and preferences.

algrove

So how does the GFX compare to a technical camera with IQ3100 DB for landscape?

Weight wise the TC could be lighter with 3-4 lenses. Who needs AF with landscape, but not wildlife?

Don Libby

Anyone try a GFX on Combo Actus yet? I thought I was going to have one to test however sadly it didn't happen.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So how does the GFX compare to a technical camera with IQ3100 DB for landscape?

Weight wise the TC could be lighter with 3-4 lenses. Who needs AF with landscape, but not wildlife?
These are the two systems I use. GFX is no IQ3100 but it is a darned good Travel DSLR vs XF & IQ3100. I use IQ3100 almost exclusively on my Actus DB2 and it takes under 30s to put together the system from the bag.