The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2024

cunim

This is an other story, and I don't know where to post it, here or in the thread "Printing and Output". Well, now it's here !
The story is that I discovered on a website a chemical printing process implemented by the Fresson family (in France), first for black and white in 1899, then for colour from the middle of the last century. This legacy chemical process is unique in the world (I think) and I find it wonderful, at least for some suitable images. It was used by many first rank photographers, such as Martine Frank, Frank Horvat, Lucien Clergue, and is still used by Sarah Moon, Bernard Plossu....
Below is an example of this "Fresson process", through a picture taken by Bernard Plossu in Giverny (home of Claude Monet after his fifties).

View attachment 211500

I made the picture below yesterday evening (Hassy X1D II + XCD90 f/3.2), in the little harbour of Playa San Juan (Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain). I have tried to recover the "Fresson" feeling, but I think I am still far from that. It illustrates perfectly the difference between the digital photography processed by an "amateur" and the legacy handwork developed for more than a century by a profesional workshop providing its "know how" and services to the best photographers.
Thoughts ?

View attachment 211501
Hmmmm.
note: this is a Seurat painting, not a Cunim photo

1710509866693.png

Last edited:

tenmangu81

You have much more detail at smaller scales in your image than in the Plossu. I think the stippling, which looks great on the sky, rocks, and water, is a bit coarse for the boats - giving them an OOF feel rather than a textured one. It's very interesting!

Matt
From what I have seen and learned about the Fresson process, the results can vary depending on many factors. And much of it is a closely-held secret by the family. However, the prints all seem to have a dreamy, moody quality which may not be appropriate for the digital example shown. Maybe the effort to reproduce the look should be applied to a more appropriate subject.
... i think the attempt is going in the right direction,

but try it with a motif that has larger areas, is not so small-scale and has a more diffuse lighting mood ...
Hmmmm.
note: this is a Seurat painting, not a Cunim photo

View attachment 211510
Thanks to all for your comments and thoughts !! Actually, I've seen images enlarged using the Fresson process which are not grainy. Their process(es) depends strongly upon the image and obviously results from deep discussions with the photographer. It's more a question of colours than grain. And I am very far from getting results for so many variations. Just an attempt.
And lookbook and Matt, you are right : the result depends upon the scale of the objects.
This confirms, if necessary, that analogue and digital photography are quite different approaches. We already knew that....

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm not sure if this wall is always so green or if this is for St. Patrick's Day.
X2D, XCD 28/4

And here is the rare Orange-breasted Pygmy Raven (yes, I know nothing about birds. How did you guess?)
X2D, Mamiya 645 200/2.8 APO - tight crop. Whenever I get a bird, no matter how ordinary, with a manual focus telephoto, I am reminded of the awesome work of @doug with manual focus 500mm lenses. Without magnified focus peaking, I would have a perfect zero percent hit-rate. But it still feels like an accomplishment.

Matt

darr

And here is the rare Orange-breasted Pygmy Raven (yes, I know nothing about birds. How did you guess?)
X2D, Mamiya 645 200/2.8 APO - tight crop. Whenever I get a bird, no matter how ordinary, with a manual focus telephoto, I am reminded of the awesome work of @doug with manual focus 500mm lenses. Without magnified focus peaking, I would have a perfect zero percent hit-rate. But it still feels like an accomplishment.

Matt
SOUP approved!! ;)

John Leathwick

A 3-image portrait stitch handheld with a Mamiya RZ 110mm on GFX 50Sii in the upper Clarence Valley, a favourite fishing haunt of mine 50 years ago when I worked a university summer vacation at the NZ Forest Service station at Hanmer Springs. The river normally carries more flow than this, but is currently low after an extended dry period.

-John

Upper Clarence.jpg