The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Haag

This was from a shoot last night of a 1970 Nova Yenko Deuce. The car was named after Don Yenko an American race car driver most known for creating the Yenko Camaro (shooting that later this week), it was a high-performance version of the Chevrolet Camaro. He nicknamed this car “Deuce” after the 1963 Beach Boys’ hit “Little Deuce Coupe,” which in turn referred to Ford’s 1932 Model 18, apparently considered by auto enthusiasts to be ‘the definitive hot-rod.’ This Nova Yenko Deuce is one of only 175 produced in 1970 and from what I am told only 10 of those were yellow.

XF IQ4 150 w 55mm Composit of 16 images

1970 Yenko Deuce-2.jpg

P. Chong

Continuing on my series on Hawker Centres in Singapore. Today's feature is Chinatown Complex. This series was also photographed with my Hasselblad H3D-39 with HC 4/28 lens, hand held. And BW conversion in Ps2020.

Once known as Kreta Ayer Complex, Chinatown Complex was part of the government’s efforts to address overcrowding and poor living conditions in the city. It would also drive an urban renewal, allowing a sizable population to remain in the central area, keeping it vibrant and allowing for old ties to be retained.

smith-street.jpg

One of the largest Hawker Centres is located here, with some 800 stalls plying traditional cuisine with a splash of some hip stalls sprouting out recently selling craft beers, muffins and the like. A wall mural at one of the entrances.

chinatown-entrance.jpg

The multi-story complex houses not only the food centre, but also a sundry shop area, and a wet market.

sundry-stalls.jpg

Dining is in large halls, with shared table infrastructure. Patrons are allowed to seat anywhere. Most of the stools are captive. The government is keeping an eye on crowds during these days of social distancing with tables sealed off, and Social Distancing Ambassadors patrolling the area, reminding patrons to keep a social distance and to wear masks except when eating or drinking. These ambassadors are also empowered to serve fines to offenders.

chinatown-eating-hall.jpg

But the mainstay of the food centre is traditional Chinese food, like Soy Sauce Chicken. There are probably more than 10 stalls selling this dish. The most famous being Hawker Chan, which won a Michelin Star (yes, star, not Bib, or other street food mention, but a full Michelin star). It is still the cheapest Michelin Star establishment in the world. A meal of chicken with rice and a bowl of clear chicken soup (consomé) sells for S$3.00, about US$ 2.25).

hawker-chan.jpg

Queues at Hawker Chan is usually very long, often an hour or more. Here is another stall, selling more or less the same food, soya sauce braised chicken. This one goes by a rather catching name - Maria's Virgin Soy Sauce Chicken. Maria is the name of the owner, and her father was reputed to be the mentor to Hawker Chan's celebrated chef.

mariavirginchicken.jpg

As usual, I will be happy to answer any questions on our the Hawker culture and scene in Singapore, which was recently awarded the status of UNESCO's World Heritage.

*edited to add a pic.

Last edited:

pegelli

@ P.Chong,
Peter, thanks for taking us on this trip along the Hawker Centres of Singapore. During my working life I visited Singapore several times and a group dinner at one of these places was always a highlight. Good food, not expensive and a great atmosphere. The ones I remember are Lau Pa Sat, the one next to the Buddha Tooth Temple (is that the one from your last post?) and the Newton Food Center, but there's many more that I don't remember the name of or where they were located. I've got some photo's but none MF so can't share them here but I'm very much enjoying your extensive reportage on how and why they were created and giving us a view of what they look like. It's the best thing after travelling there myself which, since I retired, isn't very likely to happen in the future.

P. Chong

Hello Pieter, thanks for your comments. I will be covering Lau Pa Sat as part of this series.

Yes, indeed, Chinatown Center is right next to the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple. Here is how it looks this morning.

tooth-relic-34.jpg

@ P.Chong,
Peter, thanks for taking us on this trip along the Hawker Centres of Singapore. During my working life I visited Singapore several times and a group dinner at one of these places was always a highlight. Good food, not expensive and a great atmosphere. The ones I remember are Lau Pa Sat, the one next to the Buddha Tooth Temple (is that the one from your last post?) and the Newton Food Center, but there's many more that I don't remember the name of or where they were located. I've got some photo's but none MF so can't share them here but I'm very much enjoying your extensive reportage on how and why they were created and giving us a view of what they look like. It's the best thing after travelling there myself which, since I retired, isn't very likely to happen in the future.

Kinya28

Hello Pieter, thanks for your comments. I will be covering Lau Pa Sat as part of this series.

Yes, indeed, Chinatown Center is right next to the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple. Here is how it looks this morning.

View attachment 180005
P Chong,
Thank you for your updated Singapore townscape. I visited S’pore often but never seen empty seen like this. Hope to visit again sometime soon.
Kinya

Status
Not open for further replies.