The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

The 'Freshwater' class ferries operate in Sydney - between Circular Quay and the famous, beachside suburb of Manly. This trip involves a traverse of the Harbour Heads which, at times, exposes the vessels to some quite large swell. They were introduced in 1982 (with the launch of Freshwater herself; the other vessels, Queenscliff, Narrabeen and Collaroy were progressively launched between then and 1988) and have become a world famous symbol of Sydney. Now, the powers-that-be have announced an intention to withdraw them, with smaller, soulless, modern catamarans taking their place. Needless to say, there is a major campaign to overturn this decision which I ardently hope is successful.

Here you can see some of the vessels operating two days ago, in the conditions they were built to handle. All shots taken with the Pentax 645Z and 6x7 400mm EDIF lens (some with the 1.4x teleconverter, others not)...

_IMG1772Step4sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

_IMG1756Step14sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

_IMG1817Step6sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

_IMG1824Step8sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

spb

Staff member
Nice images Ed. It looks as if sea-legs are required! Give me these sort anyday to those "smaller, soulless, modern catamarans"!

KlausJH

They're such lovely dogs! Somewhere, under all that fur, is a dog ;-)

Never been able to work out if the breed is called that because they used to work as sheepdogs or because they look like sheep!
Thank you. The Old English Sheepdog, short OES, also called Bobtail, is (was) indeed a working dog. This breed helped the drovers in England to convoy sheep, cattle and horses to the markets in Smithfield, near London. The dogs had to find their way back home all by themselves once the herd was sold. They developed a thick and long fur as a protection against all kind of whether conditions. People became attracted by the long coat and the dogs appeared in the show rings. The OES is very family friendly and makes almost everybody smile. So far a short explanation. BTW, Nelly is a female we have bred and she is very sad at the moment, since her mother, Sydney, has passed over the rainbow bridge a week ago at the age of 15.
From a photographers point of view, it's a bit challenging to maintain the coat structure in the white and dark parts of the dog in bright daylight. But nothing to worry about when using a larger sensor with a high dynamic range.

spb

Staff member
Thank you. The Old English Sheepdog, short OES, also called Bobtail, is (was) indeed a working dog. This breed helped the drovers in England to convoy sheep, cattle and horses to the markets in Smithfield, near London. The dogs had to find their way back home all by themselves once the herd was sold. They developed a thick and long fur as a protection against all kind of whether conditions. People became attracted by the long coat and the dogs appeared in the show rings. The OES is very family friendly and makes almost everybody smile. So far a short explanation. BTW, Nelly is a female we have bred and she is very sad at the moment, since her mother, Sydney, has passed over the rainbow bridge a week ago at the age of 15.
From a photographers point of view, it's a bit challenging to maintain the coat structure in the white and dark parts of the dog in bright daylight. But nothing to worry about when using a larger sensor with a high dynamic range.
It is interesting how many breeds were used as working dogs. Even poodles as water dogs, ours was a very strong swimmer. I find the absolute worst is a black dog, with curly hair to photograph - the eyes are really difficult to see. I haven't tried with a MF camera yet, have to find a suitable subject.

dave.gt

Well, now, that was fast. TS Zeta just flew through the States of Florida, Alabama and now, Georgia.

As the sun rises later this morning, I believe new meaning to the phrase "Gone With the Wind" will refer to the now bare, naked trees and blocked roadways. Our color this year has been muted to say the least.

Time to get out the rakes and bags to clean up now, no time/need for a camera.:rolleyes:

Reactions: D&A
D

Deleted member 7792

Well, now, that was fast. TS Zeta just flew through the States of Florida, Alabama and now, Georgia.

As the sun rises later this morning, I believe new meaning to the phrase "Gone With the Wind" will refer to the now bare, naked trees and blocked roadways. Our color this year has been muted to say the least.

Time to get out the rakes and bags to clean up now, no time/need for a camera.:rolleyes:
Dave, same here in central North Carolina. Zeta is coming through today with high winds. The fall colors are very muted this year (so far) and we'll lose lots of leaves with this storm. I'm enjoying the images from others who live in regions with vivid fall color.

Joe

darr

Our Tornado Warning was lifted at 0800 this morning, and the Tropical Storm Warning was recently cancelled. Currently experiencing lots and lots of rain in the Florida Panhandle where I live, but thankful for only this "mild weather" when compared to others west of me. Not far from me, they are still cleaning up from the devastation caused from H. Michael. H. Michael took away roads, homes, and a small town was flattened. There are areas we do not recognize anymore. :(

D&A

As Joe said....heavy winds and rain here all day yesterday and throughout the night and poof, all gone just like that with a beautiful sunrise.....yet leaving a mess of downed leaves and tree branches to clean up. Such is mother nature.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Hard to go wrong with Ribba frames from Ikea!

Printed on the old workhorse Epson R2880.. Probably close to 12 years old at this point.

XCD30 / CFV2 (The last image taken on my XCD 30 before sending it Fred's way).

From the lovely photograph of your daughter (and it's placement), the warm subdued lighting and the colors of autumn in the flowers and mini gourds, it's a very touching image.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.