The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

mkerouac

Some X!D images from a photo workshop in New Orleans this past weekend. The camera behaved fairly well. I had a few system errors that required me to pull the battery, but that was it. EVF shimmer is still annoying. EVF image is way to blue. But I'm now used to the EVF Blackout/shutter lag. I have the timing down now. I move after the exposure, but before the EVF goes live again.

B0000312-Edit.jpg

B0000287-Edit.jpg

B0000319-Edit.jpg

B0000317-Edit.jpg

B0000306.jpg

Attachments

D&A

Judging from the posted images above, the X1D seems to render everything old and worn looking. Must be a sensor with an outdated design . :) Other than that, l'm immensly enjoying and am impressed with the images this camera produces! :thumbs:

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Nebster

Just got mine this evening and did some fooling around in the dark.

I mostly shoot flat field macro abstracts on a tripod in the field, so small and good at focusing are what I care about. I like to print very large (2-3m on the long axis sometimes), so I end up stitching and/or stacking a lot. AF is useless for my work, and I like Zeiss and Leica manual helicoids for precision and just because they make it more fun. I also need to assess focus in all four corners of the frame, and that's maddeningly slow on my d800e's.

I'm happy to report that the "focus management" experience is pretty good on this camera.

The fly-by-wire mechanism is well modulated, although the very finest focus increments on the 90mm are a tiny bit less precise at minimum focusing distance than I'd prefer. I suspect a future macro lens will better this.

The live view latency is very good: so much better than on Nikon. I can't feel any delay, and the critical double-tap to zoom in and out is also instantaneous both ways. That means I can check all four corners in maybe 10 seconds instead of 40, yay!

When reviewing an existing image immediately, there is a delay at 100% view while waiting for the file to finish writing (I guess). I'm not sure why we need to wait for that, so it's possible that instead it's a rendering delay. Anyway, there are several seconds of wait time for a 100% view to render. The good news is that zooming around to check the corners, after that, is instantaneous.

I set up the iPhone Phocus app and gave it a go. It's a bit buggy and kludgy, but they did get it working in time for shipping. The good news is that the wifi live view is also pretty good: very low latency on focus, and a bit of delay when zooming. Remote focusing is then possible in very precise steps, although the UX seems rough to me. Nevertheless, it's a whole lot better than doing a handstand to focus on the rear screen when the camera is down low! I'd really prefer an articulated screen, but at least we knew that before ordering.

B0000009.jpg

Nit-picky areas for improvement:

1. I'd like the EVF MF experience to be more flexible. In MF mode, it auto-zooms for focus assist, but only to the pre-selected AF point. I would like to be able to move the zoomed view around with the wheels (or touchscreen) while focusing to verify in EVF quickly. Sometimes it's too bright to use the rear display.

1b. Related to that, I'd like to be able to MF through the EVF without it zooming, as an option.

2. I'm confused about the shutter management features. There doesn't seem to be an EFCS (nor an ES) option, but there is this Mq mode that supposedly lowers latency. I don't care about latency, but does it improve the vibration mechanics? And what's the point of having it on the mode wheel? Maybe just a button would be easier.

2b. In the iOS Phocus app, there's a button for mirror lockup. It appears to be doing something when I press it. What's it doing, and is that improving things? And, if so, why isn't that button on the camera somewhere?

3. The "manual AF" button (AF-D) is a little too far away for my thumb. I like the deeper grip, and I don't really use AF much so it's not a big issue for me, but I think some people will find it uncomfortable compared to other bodies.

4. I'd like a vibration-delay release like the XF. Barring that, the option to set delayed release to 1 second would be nice (the current minimum is 2).

5. With their precision control, auto focus-stacking would be pretty easy to add...

6. They definitely intended the dual-SD-slot setup to allow for duplicate writes rather than just overflow. Maybe they'll squeeze some more performance out of their hardware and add this feature for us one day.

7. Like others, I'm not enamored with the color management on either display. I'm sure the gamut is just not very good, but it'd be nice to have a way to tweak the WB a little or something.

8. In-camera battery charging via USB-C PD.

9. Battery readout in percentage.

And here are the dream requests for X2D:

A. Four-corners live view for focus. A few cameras now have split-screen focus, although the setup of it looks awkward... but we know it's possible on Sony CMOS already. In my dream world, I could hit a button and see all four corners plus the center, all live, at the same time. How awesome would that be?

B. Multishot... c'mon Hasselblad!

In summary, my guess is that the GFX will be the better camera for most of what I do, but I do like this one. I'm inclined to keep it for now and wait and see if there are any show-stopper issues lurking in the Fuji workflow.

hcubell

Some X!D images from a photo workshop in New Orleans this past weekend. The camera behaved fairly well. I had a few system errors that required me to pull the battery, but that was it. EVF shimmer is still annoying. EVF image is way to blue. But I'm now used to the EVF Blackout/shutter lag. I have the timing down now. I move after the exposure, but before the EVF goes live again.

View attachment 124599
I have not noticed the EVF shimmering effect you describe. The EVF on my X1D seems quite similar to my Sony A7RII. As for the color balance of the EVF, if you change the WB for the camera, it also changes the color balance in the EVF. If the color balance in the EVF is quite blue, try AWB or the Shade setting for WB. Perhaps you already tried that.

hcubell

Just got mine this evening and did some fooling around in the dark.

I mostly shoot flat field macro abstracts on a tripod in the field, so small and good at focusing are what I care about. I like to print very large (2-3m on the long axis sometimes), so I end up stitching and/or stacking a lot. AF is useless for my work, and I like Zeiss and Leica manual helicoids for precision and just because they make it more fun. I also need to assess focus in all four corners of the frame, and that's maddeningly slow on my d800e's.

I'm happy to report that the "focus management" experience is pretty good on this camera.

The fly-by-wire mechanism is well modulated, although the very finest focus increments on the 90mm are a tiny bit less precise at minimum focusing distance than I'd prefer. I suspect a future macro lens will better this.

The live view latency is very good: so much better than on Nikon. I can't feel any delay, and the critical double-tap to zoom in and out is also instantaneous both ways. That means I can check all four corners in maybe 10 seconds instead of 40, yay!

When reviewing an existing image immediately, there is a delay at 100% view while waiting for the file to finish writing (I guess). I'm not sure why we need to wait for that, so it's possible that instead it's a rendering delay. Anyway, there are several seconds of wait time for a 100% view to render. The good news is that zooming around to check the corners, after that, is instantaneous.

I set up the iPhone Phocus app and gave it a go. It's a bit buggy and kludgy, but they did get it working in time for shipping. The good news is that the wifi live view is also pretty good: very low latency on focus, and a bit of delay when zooming. Remote focusing is then possible in very precise steps, although the UX seems rough to me. Nevertheless, it's a whole lot better than doing a handstand to focus on the rear screen when the camera is down low! I'd really prefer an articulated screen, but at least we knew that before ordering.

View attachment 124610

Nit-picky areas for improvement:

1. I'd like the EVF MF experience to be more flexible. In MF mode, it auto-zooms for focus assist, but only to the pre-selected AF point. I would like to be able to move the zoomed view around with the wheels (or touchscreen) while focusing to verify in EVF quickly. Sometimes it's too bright to use the rear display.

1b. Related to that, I'd like to be able to MF through the EVF without it zooming, as an option.

2. I'm confused about the shutter management features. There doesn't seem to be an EFCS (nor an ES) option, but there is this Mq mode that supposedly lowers latency. I don't care about latency, but does it improve the vibration mechanics? And what's the point of having it on the mode wheel? Maybe just a button would be easier.

2b. In the iOS Phocus app, there's a button for mirror lockup. It appears to be doing something when I press it. What's it doing, and is that improving things? And, if so, why isn't that button on the camera somewhere?

3. The "manual AF" button (AF-D) is a little too far away for my thumb. I like the deeper grip, and I don't really use AF much so it's not a big issue for me, but I think some people will find it uncomfortable compared to other bodies.

4. I'd like a vibration-delay release like the XF. Barring that, the option to set delayed release to 1 second would be nice (the current minimum is 2).

5. With their precision control, auto focus-stacking would be pretty easy to add...

6. They definitely intended the dual-SD-slot setup to allow for duplicate writes rather than just overflow. Maybe they'll squeeze some more performance out of their hardware and add this feature for us one day.

7. Like others, I'm not enamored with the color management on either display. I'm sure the gamut is just not very good, but it'd be nice to have a way to tweak the WB a little or something.

8. In-camera battery charging via USB-C PD.

9. Battery readout in percentage.

And here are the dream requests for X2D:

A. Four-corners live view for focus. A few cameras now have split-screen focus, although the setup of it looks awkward... but we know it's possible on Sony CMOS already. In my dream world, I could hit a button and see all four corners plus the center, all live, at the same time. How awesome would that be?

B. Multishot... c'mon Hasselblad!

In summary, my guess is that the GFX will be the better camera for most of what I do, but I do like this one. I'm inclined to keep it for now and wait and see if there are any show-stopper issues lurking in the Fuji workflow.
Nice report. Thanks. On the color balance of LV in the EVF, if you change the WB for the camera, it also changes the color balance in the EVF. Perhaps you already tried that.
As for the Mq Mode, I am not yet sure what it function it is serving. I haven't carefully tested the X1D at this point to see if there are any vibration issues that need to be controlled.

mkerouac

I have not noticed the EVF shimmering effect you describe. The EVF on my X1D seems quite similar to my Sony A7RII. As for the color balance of the EVF, if you change the WB for the camera, it also changes the color balance in the EVF. If the color balance in the EVF is quite blue, try AWB or the Shade setting for WB. Perhaps you already tried that.
Hi. I actually shut off EVF preview. I didn't think it accomplished much for me. I trust the histogram more than the EVF preview. Plus if you are using flash and your camera settings are below ambient light, the EVF goes black as soon as you focus, so you can't see what you are shooting. Just a nit. I worked around it. We were out in a swamp in the bayou near NOLA. The EVF was very blue with EVF preview off. Even with auto WB on, the LCD and EVF colors aren't stellar. This is all nitpicking. I love the camera, but there are a few bugs yet to be worked out. Not really any different than the intro process on the H5 and H6's. Hasselblad gives us a functional camera and then improves things over time.

eleanorbrown

While I'd much rather be in the natural world somewhere, I'm in Houston at the present, so took a quick ride down Richmond Ave this afternoon for some quick shots with my X1D and 90 lens handheld AF at iso 100. Made a few stops along the way to shoot a few. All are very sharp and color good. Processed in Lightroom after importing in Phocus to get the fff RAW file instead of the 3fR that LR imports. Anyway the shutter delay bugged me as on occasion I needed to shoot quickly, and the EVF and Auto WB also made things very difficult. In typical daylight the WB was sometimes waaay way off!! (daylight setting was off too...usually way to yellow)..... They need to make some improvements in the EVF and how it reads color balance . AWB tends to have strong tints...especially green. Anyway here are a few shots from today (after color corrections). Eleanor

hcubell

Hi. I actually shut off EVF preview. I didn't think it accomplished much for me. I trust the histogram more than the EVF preview. Plus if you are using flash and your camera settings are below ambient light, the EVF goes black as soon as you focus, so you can't see what you are shooting. Just a nit. I worked around it. We were out in a swamp in the bayou near NOLA. The EVF was very blue with EVF preview off. Even with auto WB on, the LCD and EVF colors aren't stellar. This is all nitpicking. I love the camera, but there are a few bugs yet to be worked out. Not really any different than the intro process on the H5 and H6's. Hasselblad gives us a functional camera and then improves things over time.
Unfortunately, there is no real time histogram in Live View. To judge exposure, it's either the EVF simulation or the Light Meter in the EVF during Live View.

D&A

Joe wrote --->>>" It's the most beautiful camera I've ever owned"<<<

Bet you say that to all the cameras you've ever owned :). The black version is indeed lovely.

Much agree...beautiful image of that shed. Hmmm, might be an ideal little hideaway to post process and print your X1D images. Wonder how long of an extension cord is needed...LOL.

Look forward to when you can provide some preliminary assessment and personal thoughts of the 30mm.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

eleanorbrown

Well few more building reflections today, this time with my 45mm lens on the X1D. iso 100. I hope the next firmware update will have something like Matrix metering choice...something that would cover the entire exposure area, Auto White Balance would be more reliable. Anyway, I like this lens very much and easier to hand hold. Unfortunately I got yelled at by security and told I cannot take photos....that I have to have "special permission". These are public office buildings for heaven's sake!!! (I was on a public street!!!) No one with a camera can be trusted anymore!! Anyway I love the tonalities and colors of the reflections and iso 100 gives wonderful smooth files. Eleanor

bab

Please drop an email to Hasselblad requesting integrated step focusing it's been on the request list and the more people that ask the faster they might complete the firmware update including it.
Send email to Hasselblad

Last edited by a moderator:

hcubell

Please drop an email to Hasselblad requesting integrated step focusing it's been on the request list and the more people that ask the faster they might complete the firmware update including it.
Send email to Hasselblad

Can you please describe what integrated step focusing is? If I am going to request it, Ove may ask me just what it is that I want.

Last edited by a moderator:

eleanorbrown

A couple more from today using my 90 lens at iso 100. Antiques...a Music cabinet and old Grandfather clock. I keep hoping more people will post images, realizing it takes having the hard to get X1D but hoping more folks will get there cameras soon. :) Eleanor

PS I'm finding this camera has a wonderfully high dynamic range. I am using LR for all RAW processing at the present but using the fff files, not the 3fR.

Eli

A couple more from today using my 90 lens at iso 100. Antiques...a Music cabinet and old Grandfather clock. I keep hoping more people will post images, realizing it takes having the hard to get X1D but hoping more folks will get there cameras soon. :) Eleanor

PS I'm finding this camera has a wonderfully high dynamic range. I am using LR for all RAW processing at the present but using the fff files, not the 3fR.

Hi Eleanor,

I was wondering why you prefer the fff file format? Also, LR imports files in the 3fr format, so how do you get files in the fff format into LR?

Thanks,

Eli