The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gone a bit m43rds

biglouis

Christmas came early for me, or rather I decided it would be foolish not to take advantage of 'winter discounts' here in the UK on Oly cameras and lenses, to trade in my Fuji X-H2S, XF100-400 and TC1.4x in for an Olympus OM-1 and Olympus 100-400f5-f6.3 zoom lens. The X-H2S/100-400 was my main birding combo and for various reasons I was dissatisfied with it. Firstly, the hype surrounding the X-H2S never really convinced me in reality. I kept on expecting it to do a lot better in terms of Bird AF detection and C-AF than it actually did in practice, or at least in my case. I'm not exactly inexperienced when it comes to photography in general and wildlife in particular, so I don't think it is entirely down to user error. Secondly, the XF100-400 is recognised as being weak at the long end and in use I always had to stop down by at 1-2 stops to get good centre sharpness. Yes, it could be I have had a bad lens all these years but other complain about the same issue. On top of that I was riven with indecision about the XF150-600 based on the performance of the X-H2S and the additional weight and very dark long end.

It is surprising how many pros and enthusiasts swear by the Oly OM-1 and 100-400, 300f4 and 150-400. So, I decided to check it out at my local camera store and just picking up the combo felt like the equivalent of putting on a comfy pair of slippers. The shape of the body and heft of the lens felt just right so impetuous as it may seem I decided to go for it trading in the Fuji kit so that the difference was affordable (plus the aforementioned cashback from Ooly which will make a contribution to reducing the difference I had to pay).

Unfortunately, given the time of the year I have had very little opportunity other than to use the camera to photograph birds in my back garden. I can't wait to give it a good thrashing at a reserve where there may be a greater variety than just common song birds. But the ability to tune the camera to my needs and pop back and forth inside to consult the manual and tipsters on YouTube is convenient.

None of the photos of birds below are particularly exciting but I have been pleasantly surprised at the ability to create usable results at high iso (6400-12800, it really is that dim here in the UK at present!), where I actually thought I would see a real reduction in usability over the Fuji. In fact, there is none. On top of that, the bird subject detection and in fact the bird eye subject detection is in a totally different league to the Fuji. In fact the AF is much better all round (there was a very annoying problem with the Fuji that if you left IBIS on and shot at high speeds it actually introduced shake, none of that is apparent with the Oly lens). Another very pleasing difference is that the Oly 100-400 is very sharp, even wide open. I used to shoot with the XF100-400+TC1.4x which would darken down to f8. In fact, I would have to shoot at f9 to sharpen up the central area. Although I have lost 40mm equivalent at the long end I have a brighter lens at f6.3 which appears not need any further stopping down.

The Oly has so many customisable features I feel a bit intimidated. But as this is pretty much a dedicated bird photography set up it was fairly easy to set up the four customisable mode setting for my uses. The only negative thing I have noticed is that the colour science of the RAWs is not as good as the Fuji, or it may just be I have not understood how to modify the settings quite yet (what do other Oly users think about the colour science?). In one of the photos below the grass was very green, the leaf was very yellow and the stone has in places very purple. I just desaturated the photo to my taste.

Anyhoo, so far, so good and no major regrets. I will keep the rest of my Fuji kit (for now) for my small amount of pro-photography but once the current project I am working on is finished in 2024 I may well dispose of the rest of it.

Here are some early samples from the OM-1 and 100-400 (except the first one taken on my smartphone).

PXL_20231219_155455626.jpg

_C200039-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

_C200126-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

_C200195-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

_C210256-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

_C210586-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

_C210570-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

biglouis

Thanks, Alan. I remember you giving me some good advice when I was struggling to get the best out of my G9 a few years back. Sadly, the autofocus on that camera was no good for wildlife. But this OM-1 is more than up to the job.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Louis,

congratulations on that purchase and I think you made a very good decision.

The OM-1 is for sure one of the best wildlife cameras out today and I was pressed hard myself not to jump into m43 again mainly because I find it so attractive. Especially paired with that very performant but still pretty cheap 100-400.

Have fun!

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great to have you back with MFT again, Louis. If you knew how many hours I've wasted looking at alternatives to my Panasonic setup, just to find that it's really a waste of time. One of the latest alternatives I looked at was the X-H2/X-H2s combo, and while they are indeed fine cameras, in the end I had to conclude that just adding a G9 II to my G9/GX8/GX8/G85 kit would offer most of what I'm missing, and for a fraction of the price of changing systems.

biglouis

Well, as long as you're happy, Louis.
I still can't quite bring myself to divorce myself entirely from Fuji. The results for non-wildlife work from the X-T4 and various lenses are excellent. One amazing feature is the IBIS. It is lazy of me but I don't even bother using a tripod for indoor architectural work. I can handhold down to 1/15 and get pin sharp photos at low iso and even if the iso creeps up I just put the photos through DxO and they are as clean as anything shot at base iso.

Louis,

congratulations on that purchase and I think you made a very good decision.

The OM-1 is for sure one of the best wildlife cameras out today and I was pressed hard myself not to jump into m43 again mainly because I find it so attractive. Especially paired with that very performant but still pretty cheap 100-400.

Have fun!

Peter
No one should be fooled by the size of the OM-1 or its sensor. It is a professional body and no mistake. OM Systems (or Olympus as was) must have some very good software engineers as the firmware offers so many features. The body is also way more comfortable than the X-H2S and the button layout actually makes sense. So far I have found no need to customise the button functions as they have already anticipated what most photographers need in the default functions.

Great to have you back with MFT again, Louis. If you knew how many hours I've wasted looking at alternatives to my Panasonic setup, just to find that it's really a waste of time. One of the latest alternatives I looked at was the X-H2/X-H2s combo, and while they are indeed fine cameras, in the end I had to conclude that just adding a G9 II to my G9/GX8/GX8/G85 kit would offer most of what I'm missing, and for a fraction of the price of changing systems.
At the time I left m43rds over 5 years ago I was bitterly disappointed by the G9's C-AF focus (as were a few other wildlife photographers I was in touch with). But - and it is a very big BUT - I was never disappointed with the results for any of my personal or commercial activities. Lenses like the Olympus 7-14f2.8 (I still claim this is the best UWA lens I have ever owned) and in particular the Vario 12-35 and 35 -100 were fantastic optics. They never let me down. Unfortunately, once I entered the Fuji ecosphere it made sense to go over entirely. I would argue that Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji can easily compete with and even outclass lenses from any of the other manufacturers.

Just my two cents

LouisB