The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 24mm (or 25mm) f2.5V and 135mm f2.5V

PapaJoe

Been awfully quiet here. Anyone receive an XCD 25/2.5? Are shipments happening?
I received mine on Saturday. I took a few test shots and have put a few (SOOC RAW, handheld, AF) in a Dropbox folder here. Nothing artistic. Just shots taken from our back deck of the backyard trees to make sure the lens worked.

The lens focuses quickly, like the other V lenses, feels good in the hand and is well balanced with the X2D. No software corrections in LR yet and I'm not proficient at using Phocus. I'll provide more complete first impressions later. I'll be housebound for a while caring for a family member, so there won't be many more subjects I can photograph for a few weeks.

Joe

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I received mine on Saturday. I took a few test shots and have put a few (SOOC RAW, handheld, AF) in a Dropbox folder here. Nothing artistic. Just shots taken from our back deck of the backyard trees to make sure the lens worked.

The lens focuses quickly, like the other V lenses, feels good in the hand and is well balanced with the X2D. No software corrections in LR yet and I'm not proficient at using Phocus. I'll provide more complete first impressions later. I'll be housebound for a while caring for a family member, so there won't be many more subjects I can photograph for a few weeks.

Joe
If you use the XCD 21/4 profile in LR it is very close to the Phocus version (I just checked this) The two lenses have very similar distortion and vignetting. Pictures look good! As is frequently the case with mustache lenses, the uncorrected images look better - the center is enlarged and the edges have less "wide angle distortion". :ROFLMAO:

isteveb

If you use the XCD 21/4 profile in LR it is very close to the Phocus version (I just checked this) The two lenses have very similar distortion and vignetting. Pictures look good! As is frequently the case with mustache lenses, the uncorrected images look better - the center is enlarged and the edges have less "wide angle distortion". :ROFLMAO:
Received my shipment notice today as well. Thursday is delivery day! I'm looking forward to it!

joakim

I got mine 2 days ago but I just got back from a trip so I have only taken some test shots so far. But my initial reaction is I like the size and form of the lens and that it balances well on the X2D. Hopefully I will have the time soon to take it out for some real photography.

MGrayson

Lens arrived. Weather sucks, so real testing will have to wait.

But...

That wide angle wide aperture close focus look is interesting. Only the Leica Q with its 28/1.7 Macro can pull it off better than the XCD 25/2.5. DoF is really thin - got the eyelids, missed the eye. Uncropped.

Matt

Last edited:

isteveb

Lens arrived. Weather sucks, so real testing will have to wait.

But...

That wide angle wide aperture close focus look is interesting. Only the Leica Q with its 28/1.7 Macro can pull it off better than the XCD 25/2.5

Matt
Has anyone had an issue with the haptic feedback on the lens ring on this lens? Mine is smooth (off) all the time no matter what setting the side button is set. It is smooth and quiet but no clicks when it should.

MGrayson

So! Took the X2D, XCD 21/4, 25/2.5V, and the Leica S3 with S24 out for a lovely set of distant cityscapes. I'll spare you samples, but the results are

XCD 21/4 is the best. Corners a tiny bit soft at f/4, clean at f/8. Field curvature not a problem.

XCD 25/2.5V. Focusing the center at infinity will yield bad edges and ugly corners - yes, this is 100MP pixel peeping, so take it all as relative. OTOH, you can get each spot on the frame sharp - just not at the same focus setting. To get the corners sharp I had to turn the focus ring as far as it would go, which is 2 or 3mm past the infinity mark. Focus stacking at infinity? I guess... At f/8, it's still not perfect. Wide open, there is a lot of CA in the OOF regions (especially on the left side of my copy - not sure if I should be concerned. But it vanishes when in focus, and Phocus handles adaptive CA removal very well. LR, as w know, has no profile for this lens and while the XCD 21/4 profile works well on its distortion and vignetting, who knows what else goes into it. We'll have to see what Adobe comes up with.

Leica S 24 - Well, it was a great WA at 37.5MP, but if you hold it to X2D standards, it's just not as good out at the edges. Mind you, I have never noticed a problem with *any* S 24 print up to 40"x30", so that says something about all this magnified criticism.

Long story short (as we said before they invented "tl;dr"), the XCD 25/2.5V can be used for landscapes on the X2D. f/2.5 is not ideal, unless the corners and edges aren't critical. f/8 and careful focusing (1/3 of the way across the frame is traditional) should be very good. Did some review claim this was a good lens for astrophotography? I have a hard time reconciling that with the copy in front of me. (I never do astro...)

Matt

Bill_Evans

Any interior / architecture photogs snag a copy of this lens? I’m curious how it performs indoors. The 21 was way too wide for my taste and I’m currently pounding away with the 28p. 24mm equivalent is my favorite but a 20ish equivalent would be nice to have on those occasions when I just can’t back up enough.

MGrayson

I lied. Here are samples:
First just FoV comparisons (cropped to XPan ratio 😇) Bear in mind that the S3 sensor is one mm wider than the X2D (and 3mm less high), so the focal length difference gets accentuated.

Note. All of these images were focused at infinity at the center. I made no special effort to get the edge in focus.

Leica S3 with S 24/3.5

Left edge crop at f/3.5

Left edge crop at f/8. I know I said it's not as good as the XCD lenses, but at this edge, it's as good as my copy of the XCD 25 at f/8.

X2D with XCD 25/2.5V

Left edge at f/2.5

Left Edge at f/8

And X2D with XCD 21/4

Left edge at f/4

Left edge at f/8

Sorry about that....

Matt

BTW, I'll be very interested in anyone else's findings concerning the comparison between the XCD 21 and XCD 25. I did try the XCD 25 at f/4, and it's better, but not as good as the XCD 21.

Last edited:

jng

I lied here are samples:
First just FoV comparisons (cropped to XPan ratio 😇) Bear in mind that the S3 sensor is one mm wider than the X2D (and 3mm less high), so the focal length difference gets accentuated.

Leica S3 with S 24/3.5

Left edge crop at f/3.5

Left edge crop at f/8. I know I said it's not as good as the XCD lenses, but at this edge, it's as good as my copy of the XCD 25 at f/8.

X2D with XCD 25/2.5V

Left edge at f/2.5

Left Edge at f/8

And X2D with XCD 21/4

Left edge at f/4

Left edge at f/8

Sorry about that....

Matt

BTW, I'll be very interested in anyone else's findings concerning the comparison between the XCD 21 and XCD 25. I did try the XCD 25 at f/4, and it's better, but not as good as the XCD 21.
Thanks, Matt. At least no math was involved! Seriously, though, did you try f/11 as well? I know, quelle horreur! to stop down so far, but f/8-f/11 would be pretty typical for me for landscape/built environment images. I rarely shoot wide open for such shots, except of course for very occasional (like, twice) astrophotography opportunities. While the XCD21 is a bit slow wide open at f/4, I can compensate by boosting the ISO by an additional stop (the sensor can handle it and star trails don't bother me so much) and benefit from this lens's corner-to-corner sharpness wide open, with perhaps only a touch of coma only visible when pixel-peeping.

So, the XCD21 will stay in my kit. Yes it's a bit wide for some use cases, but I love the perspective it can give and sometimes the extra field of view comes in handy when applying perspective correction(quelle horreur, again!). I shall redirect my GAS elsewhere...

John

MGrayson

Thanks, Matt. At least no math was involved! Seriously, though, did you try f/11 as well? I know, quelle horreur! to stop down so far, but f/8-f/11 would be pretty typical for me for landscape/built environment images. I rarely shoot wide open for such shots, except of course for very occasional (like, twice) astrophotography opportunities. While the XCD21 is a bit slow wide open at f/4, I can compensate by boosting the ISO by an additional stop (the sensor can handle it and star trails don't bother me so much) and benefit from this lens's corner-to-corner sharpness wide open, with perhaps only a touch of coma only visible when pixel-peeping.

So, the XCD21 will stay in my kit. Yes it's a bit wide for some use cases, but I love the perspective it can give and sometimes the extra field of view comes in handy when applying perspective correction(quelle horreur, again!). I shall redirect my GAS elsewhere...

John
John,

That's a good point, and, as it happens, I did snap off one frame at f/11. At least out to the edges, it's good. I can't tell if it's better than f/8. I didn't think to do a corner series. Next time.

Matt

Reactions: jng

MGrayson

Ok, lower left corner at f/8 and f/11, focusing at infinity and two step beyond. 3mm is as far as the barrel turns.

f/8

It looks much easier to get a sharp corner at f/11.

It looks like f/8 at 1.5mm past infinity is the best, but I can't speak for the rest of the image!

Matt

isteveb

John
I have the 21mm and the 25 and no plans to divest myself of the 21mm. I think its a great lens and I love wide angle lenses.

GeorgeBo

Take these for what they are. Just walk around shots this evening. CFV 100C, handheld, no tripod and limited to Phocus on the iPad and resized to allow past the file limit size on the forum. No 100% pixel peeping. Yeah, carried away with the Hasselblad branded export template on the iPad too :D

First impression, I love this lens. The build quality, handling on the CFV 100C is outstanding. What is selling me right away is the close focus capability and manual focusing capability of this lens. Not looking at corners and edges. Yet ;)

George

IMG_0073.jpegIMG_0071.JPGIMG_0072.jpegIMG_0070.JPG

Last edited: