The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HASSELBLAD 907x Major connection issues

PSS

I will have to get used to having only one dial and using it with the shift button....I am aware that everything is available on the touch screen....
just to confirm : is there a way to remap a button to get AF lock on when shooting MF?
also: is there a way to rename files in camera? I just realize I will be running into issues with duplicate file names.... I guess I will have to make sure to apply new names on import into LR ....

JAB

An update on my 907x/50c situation...

My camera is on it's way back to Hasselblad for inspection. I hope to hear back from them in a week or so.

My grip arrives Monday! Maybe it'll stay in the box until my birthday since there's no camera for it to attach to!! :)

Reactions: spb

Godfrey

I will have to get used to having only one dial and using it with the shift button....I am aware that everything is available on the touch screen....
just to confirm : is there a way to remap a button to get AF lock on when shooting MF?
also: is there a way to rename files in camera? I just realize I will be running into issues with duplicate file names.... I guess I will have to make sure to apply new names on import into LR ....
The ability to use AF for on-demand point focus in MF mode is referred to as "AF-D" in Hasselblad nomenclature. It is only available with the 907x when you have the Control Grip accessory. (The default setup for the Control Grip includes an AF-MF toggle button and an AF-D button.)

There is no file renaming facility in the current implementation of the firmware as far as I am aware (none listed in the menu system, none in the menu system that I can find). I generally don't worry about this file name/number business. I use LR as well to move files from the camera to the computer, and have started using Phocus as well. I simply create a new folder for every day's or session's downloads from the camera in my original image archive, which all by itself prevents file name collisions on the original file names. In addition to that, when downloading with LR, I use one of two file name patterns for digital capture:
  • {YYMMDD-fnum} where the first is the year-month-day capture and fnum is the numeric portion of the file name, or
  • {YYMMDD-tag-fnum} where the addition of "tag" is whatever simple mnemonic I want to apply to a group of photos.
I consider the original file name/number to simply be an identifier, not a sequence. Capture time is the bottom line for any sequence. :)

G

Reactions: PSS

PSS

The ability to use AF for on-demand point focus in MF mode is referred to as "AF-D" in Hasselblad nomenclature. It is only available with the 907x when you have the Control Grip accessory. (The default setup for the Control Grip includes an AF-MF toggle button and an AF-D button.)

There is no file renaming facility in the current implementation of the firmware as far as I am aware (none listed in the menu system, none in the menu system that I can find). I generally don't worry about this file name/number business. I use LR as well to move files from the camera to the computer, and have started using Phocus as well. I simply create a new folder for every day's or session's downloads from the camera in my original image archive, which all by itself prevents file name collisions on the original file names. In addition to that, when downloading with LR, I use one of two file name patterns for digital capture:
  • {YYMMDD-fnum} where the first is the year-month-day capture and fnum is the numeric portion of the file name, or
  • {YYMMDD-tag-fnum} where the addition of "tag" is whatever simple mnemonic I want to apply to a group of photos.
I consider the original file name/number to simply be an identifier, not a sequence. Capture time is the bottom line for any sequence. :)

G
Thank you for the confirmation....after reading through the manual that is what i thought....i am not sure i want to get the grip, so i guess i wont have the AFD button....i usually use it or the * button to zoom in quickly when shooting MF which is what i am doing more and more....
the renaming will be interesting.....I use LR mobile and files are stored in cloud at adobe, PhotoShelter and some other cloud services....i will have to check how to best change the actual raw file name....

Godfrey

Can't help with that. I don't use anything that stores my raw files with any of the cloud services. I use Phocus Mobile 2 on my iPad Pro/iPhone 11 Pro or Lightroom Classic on my Mac mini. :)

G

spb

Staff member
I do roughly like Godfrey, create a new folder on my external SSD, import from camera or SD card to that folder and in Phocus (in my case) the filenames are modified with the import-date at the start of the filename.

With my previous Fuji cameras I could rename the files in camera but I think now I will not miss that, as the Phocus-import is effortless and neat.renaming.jpg

Last edited:

budfox

Another faulty unit to report. I received my new silver version about 1.5 weeks ago and the 45P yesterday. As soon as I tried to use the 45P I got error messages about connection issues with the lens. There was no problem using the back with a 503CW or SWC. Unfortunately, it's now reboxed and will be taking it back to the dealer. I imagine a long wait for a replacement - I am in Sydney.

spb

Staff member
Sorry to hear about that. I hope your wait is shorter than expected.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Another faulty unit to report. I received my new silver version about 1.5 weeks ago and the 45P yesterday. As soon as I tried to use the 45P I got error messages about connection issues with the lens. There was no problem using the back with a 503CW or SWC. Unfortunately, it's now reboxed and will be taking it back to the dealer. I imagine a long wait for a replacement - I am in Sydney.
As we can see this 907x 50c issue for quite a lot of kits in many countries , I expect HASSELBLAD to do serious investigation into this issue .
The result of their findings must be reported to all repair locations , to prevent the technicians to potter about .
There must be clear instructions , whats the bug and how and with what spare parts the issue can be solved .
We bought a brand new product and we can expect HASSELBAD to do a fast repair and return the product as soon as possible with full warranty .
I would very much like to see a fast answer from HASSELBLAD .

spb

Staff member
As we can see this 907x 50c issue for quite a lot of kits in many countries , I expect HASSELBLAD to do serious investigation into this issue .
The result of their findings must be reported to all repair locations , to prevent the technicians to potter about .
There must be clear instructions , whats the bug and how and with what spare parts the issue can be solved .
We bought a brand new product and we can expect HASSELBAD to do a fast repair and return the product as soon as possible with full warranty .
I would very much like to see a fast answer from HASSELBLAD .
Agreed

budfox

Thanks. Agreed an early disclosure and acknowledgment of the problem and commitment to fix for all affected users is the best way to go. The longer delay the more their reputation is tarnished, especially for such a high profile new product.

Godfrey

I agree too ... the more cases show up, the more urgent the necessity that Hasselblad act. But "tarnishing their reputation" ... sounds a little heavy handed. As far as I can tell, all the units reported with the problem so far are the newly released standard edition 907x, not the Special Edition that's been in the field now for six months. That points to an early production problem even more strongly since anything being delivered now has to have been in the very first production batch, and the update to the screen does constitute a fairly big change to the design. Early production problems are very very common, across all manufacturers' goods. We've seen such issues all up and down the spectrum of manufacturers' products over time.

Personally I'd rather that Hasselblad work on the analysis of the problem and a proper repair/update than expend too much energy issuing bulletins and other collateral before they have a solution. Their service reps should be informed as to what's happening so that people calling in with a problem get a coordinated response, for sure.

I also wonder just what the percentages of units with the issue come out to be compared to the total production number. The statistician in me just can't resist that... :D

G

tcdeveau

The X1D also had hardware issues at first with faulty scroll wheels. Mine went back to Hasselblad US for a replacement under warranty and I was camera-out-of-hand for about a week.

Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it soon and take care of everyone having issues.

FloatingLens

I have a very early unit of the Standard Edition 907X. No connection/reliability issues paired with the 45P thus far.

budfox

Firstly, I can say that Hasselblad support responded within a couple of hours to my email report of the problem with advice as how to sort it out, and committing to a quick repair or replacement - so that side of the business has been excellent so far. Well done Hasselblad.

All I am saying is that it would not be a big deal for Hasselblad to issue a short media note stating to the effect:

"We are aware of a limited number of users experiencing connections problems with the silver 907X and are looking into the issue. In the interim, any affected users should return their cameras for an immediate replacement or full refund."

See, I just did the work for them!

I think the risk of a small drop in initial sales (or delay in sales) would be made up by confidence in the brand (and reduced costs in return/replacements). If the issue if real (which seems to be the case from various reports) they are going to have to face up to it any case.

In the era of social medial etc, these things can easily get away and tarnish a brand very quickly, and I would say Hasselblad are more vulnerable than many others due to their small market share, small base of camera models, and reliance upon an image of high quality expensive products. Sony or Canon can more readily absorb similar manufacturing errors with a single model - but even Canon issued statements on the over heating issue on whatever model that was (though many would say the issue was overplayed by reviewers expecting professional video camera performance in a consumer model).

In any case, I am confident of a fix so that is good. But I am already bought in.

Godfrey

I disagree that that kind of statement would inspire more user confidence. I think it would go the other way, and result in large losses and lots of otherwise perfectly fine equipment either being returned or not purchased at all.

It is probably best that they do exactly what they're doing: deal with customers who have problems individually and as needed, efficiently and sensibly per the needs of the individual users. I don't expect more than that from any company manufacturing high end, limited production gear.

spb

Staff member
I think overall I agree more with Godfrey on this one as to effect on sales etc.

mristuccia

I must say I'm more on Budfox's side on this instead.
In the social media era a small accident can turn into a big viral shitstorm in a blast.
Transparency and openness of companies in keeping users up to date about what's going on and what's the current status of any issue is IMHO a plus in respect to the old-fashioned CIA-type behaviour. ,)

Godfrey

Social media, in my opinion, is mostly time-wasting nonsense that twists up people's perceptions of fact vs opinion too much of the time.

But I'll refrain from getting on the soapbox this early in the morning. I'd rather enjoy a nice cup of coffee... LOL! ;)