The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 90mm V lens is shipping

tenmangu81

Well, it seems that the new V series (collaboration with Panasonic ?) is not as good as the previous and first XCD's, designed by HB but made in Japan by Nittoh. The 55V (that I own) is good for street photography or portraits/images when sharpness at the edges is not imperious. Not as good, by far, as the XCD65. And the (light, indeed) 28P and 38V are not that good when compared with the XCD30 or even the XCD45P. I doubt the 90V would be at the level of the previous XCD90. But wait and see, I am looking forward to reading the first impressions.

FloatingLens

I suppose at 90mm it is not so difficult to come up with a fast and excellent design, compared to much shorter focal lengths.

akaru

Yeah, something happened to cause that much of a delay. Didn’t they ship some, then suddenly they’re out of stock for a year….?

bab

Would love to see a 100-110mm fast prime or/and also a 70-150mm zoom! Portrait's in mind.

PapaJoe

Just received the lens yesterday. My first impressions are 1) this is a perfect mate with the 38mm V and 55mm V, 2) lens is lightweight and slender; balances well with the X2D, and 3) lens is very sharp at f/8. I was able to take four quick test shots yesterday at f/8 hand-held of my backyard test subject - trees, including one pine tree. I use the pine tree because I want to see the needles at 200% to evaluate sharpness. I'll take some more shots in the coming week (after the holiday weekend) and post more RAW files to a Dropbox folder. Here's the link to the folder:
Colson_231124_B0000308-Edit-FrameShop.jpg

I don't to test charts. Sorry.

Joe

Last edited:

jduncan

Well, it seems that the new V series (collaboration with Panasonic ?) is not as good as the previous and first XCD's, designed by HB but made in Japan by Nittoh. The 55V (that I own) is good for street photography or portraits/images when sharpness at the edges is not imperious. Not as good, by far, as the XCD65. And the (light, indeed) 28P and 38V are not that good when compared with the XCD30 or even the XCD45P. I doubt the 90V would be at the level of the previous XCD90. But wait and see, I am looking forward to reading the first impressions.
Interesting. I know they were in part, designed for "quick" AF I wonder if there is a critical focus little issue going on.
The 90mm for me should be compared to the 80mm f1.8.
I love that is coming, it's a focal length I would love to have.

Best regards,

tenmangu81

I know the previous XCD90 was designed by HB and made by Nittoh. It is a little bit (just a little) louder and bigger than the new XCD90V, and it opens at 3.2 instead of 2.5 (one diaphragm). But it is a wonderful lens, I would say one of the best HB have made. Having it, I am not interested in buying the new one.

Ai_Print

At first I hated sending the 38V and 55V back, they were such a complete joy to use. But in having been back from Scotland for three weeks now, I am just blown away by how good the 45P and 65 XCD look in the images I made, so any regret I had in returning them is now long gone.

Among others, I think landscape photographers are catching on to the corner issues of the 38 and 55, I see more and more of them for sale on ebay and elsewhere. Maybe in time I could get a used $2K 55mm V for a low light walk around with the X2D. The ibis is so good on the X2D that I can see it easily replacing my Leica in that role if i want to save weight.

PapaJoe

Among others, I think landscape photographers are catching on to the corner issues of the 38 and 55...
What corner issues? Do you have some photos that you can share that show corner issues. I have all three V lenses and haven't seen corner issues. I'm not looking for a food fight, just enlightenment.

Joe

jng

What corner issues? Do you have some photos that you can share that show corner issues. I have all three V lenses and haven't seen corner issues. I'm not looking for a food fight, just enlightenment.

Joe
There was a long thread on this here recently, with comparisons to the XCD65 and XCD45. I haven't found the 55V to be lacking (my reference being Rodenstock and SK tech cam lenses and other XCD lenses, but not the XCD65) and find it ideal for taking the kit on the road, but this may reflect the lens being well suited to my preferred subject matter and the way I compose. Just my own experience, which may have no relevance to others. YMMV, of course.

John

Last edited:

tenmangu81

I have both the XCD65 and the XCD55V. The latter is a little bit softer than the former, especially at the edges, and this can be seen "technically" by looking at the MTF curves. But actually, it is very difficult to find any lack of sharpness of the 55V in the real life, except in very few pictures. In order to check it seriously, it would be necessary to shoot a target in specific conditions, and I haven't my XCD65 at hand by now. And no "good" target either....
Anyway, I like very much my XCD55V, because I shoot only in real life ( ;)) , and it is very silent, compact and light weight.