The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 90mm V lens is shipping

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have a 90/3.2 if anyone wants to compare shots.
:ROFLMAO:
I’ve been in (relative) austerity mode, so don’t have any duplicate XCD lenses (28P vs 30, 90/2.5 vs 90/3.2).

Ai_Print

What corner issues? Do you have some photos that you can share that show corner issues. I have all three V lenses and haven't seen corner issues. I'm not looking for a food fight, just enlightenment.

Joe
Simply put, my 45P and 65 2.8 just blew them away for landscapes / architecture in terms of corner sharpness. And we are not talking just the very corners here either but as far out as the outer 1/3rd of the image circle. So after I also tried a friend's lenses and then read what Diglloyd had to say about it after putting up the subscription money, I returned both lenses for a full refund. I tried for over a week and shot close to 100GB of comparison and real life use case photos and just could not get them to hold up.

The saga starts here: As good as they were in all other aspects, if I can not get truly sharp corners by F8 with a lens in front of a 102MP sensor, it's a total no go for me.

Last edited:

PapaJoe

So after I also tried a friend's lenses and then read what Diglloyd had to say about it after putting up the subscription money, I returned both lenses for a full refund.
Ah, the "Diglloyd Effect". Lloyd isn't a fan of the Hasselblad X system in general, and seems to prefer Fuji GFX and Sony a7Rx. I'm fortunate to have and enjoy all three and have had no corner issues with my 55mm and 38mm V lenses. Maybe there is sample variation at work. Sorry to hear that your experience was less than optimal.

Joe

Ai_Print

Maybe there is sample variation at work.
Maybe, but I have yet to see a photo from either of them from anyone in what would be a landscape use that had sharp corners. And I don't mean "sharp enough for my use" but as sharp as either the 45P or 65...as in proper sharp.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Ah, the "Diglloyd Effect". Lloyd isn't a fan of the Hasselblad X system in general, and seems to prefer Fuji GFX and Sony a7Rx. I'm fortunate to have and enjoy all three and have had no corner issues with my 55mm and 38mm V lenses. Maybe there is sample variation at work. Sorry to hear that your experience was less than optimal.

Joe
My first 28P had soft corners. The second one didn’t. Sample variation, on that lens anyway, confirmed.

MGrayson

You have/had the XCD21 also, right? How would you compare them personally?
The XCD 21 is a miracle, but it's not a tech camera lens. The very outermost corners are a bit smeared. Better than my first 28P, comparable to the second one, and nothing like the XCD 30 (very few lenses that wide or wider are). 99% of my XCD 21 images have corners consisting of sky, water, or extreme foreground. Only a few brick walls (they were covered with vines!)

jng

The XCD 21 is a miracle, but it's not a tech camera lens. The very outermost corners are a bit smeared. Better than my first 28P, comparable to the second one, and nothing like the XCD 30 (very few lenses that wide or wider are). 99% of my XCD 21 images have corners consisting of sky, water, or extreme foreground. Only a few brick walls (they were covered with vines!)
Hmmm. No issues with my copy of the XCD21 in the corners as far as I can see, but most of my images made with this lens similarly have either sky or foreground dominating these areas of the image so (this is my main use case for ultrawide angle lenses - generating perspective) so no brick walls in my collection, either. Is it as clean as my Rodie 40HR shifted on the IQ4 150? Probably not, but then again I take the Hasselblad to locations where I either can't or won't take the bigger kit.

Back to the original topic at hand: it will be interesting to hear more about the 90V as it gets into more people's hands. As the owner of the superb 3.2/90, the faster autofocus speed of the 90V, while welcome, doesn't provide any real advantage to me as I mostly shoot static landscapes and cityscapes. Nor do the marginal reductions in size and weight compared to the 3.2/90, so I'll pass for now and save my pennies for later. If I'm ever blessed with grandkids, I might reconsider.

Hasselblad is imposing a tyranny of choices of sorts in various focal length ranges: 28-30mm, 38-45mm, 45-55-65mm, 80-90mm. It seems that each lens has its own set of positive attributes and compromises from which one can hopefully decide wisely if armed with the necessary information (starting with MTF charts, for example). This is a good thing, right?

John

MGrayson

Hmmm. No issues with my copy of the XCD21 in the corners as far as I can see, but most of my images made with this lens similarly have either sky or foreground dominating these areas of the image so (this is my main use case for ultrawide angle lenses - generating perspective) so no brick walls in my collection, either. Is it as clean as my Rodie 40HR shifted on the IQ4 150? Probably not, but then again I take the Hasselblad to locations where I either can't or won't take the bigger kit.

Back to the original topic at hand: it will be interesting to hear more about the 90V as it gets into more people's hands. As the owner of the superb 3.2/90, the faster autofocus speed of the 90V, while welcome, doesn't provide any real advantage to me as I mostly shoot static landscapes and cityscapes. Nor do the marginal reductions in size and weight compared to the 3.2/90, so I'll pass for now and save my pennies for later. If I'm ever blessed with grandkids, I might reconsider.

Hasselblad is imposing a tyranny of choices of sorts in various focal length ranges: 28-30mm, 38-45mm, 45-55-65mm, 80-90mm. It seems that each lens has its own set of positive attributes and compromises from which one can hopefully decide wisely if armed with the necessary information (starting with MTF charts, for example). This is a good thing, right?

John
To be clear, I’ve never seen corner softness in any print made with the XCD 21 up to 43” wide. What I observed was in a “tilt the camera so the horizon runs diagonally corner to corner” test shots.

But yes, we’ve wandered OT 😇.

Matt

Reactions: jng

FloatingLens

My summary:
XCD21 - exceptional sharpness
XCD28P - exceptional lack of chromatic aberrations

How does the 90V fit in?

tenmangu81

Back to the original topic at hand: it will be interesting to hear more about the 90V as it gets into more people's hands. As the owner of the superb 3.2/90, the faster autofocus speed of the 90V, while welcome, doesn't provide any real advantage to me as I mostly shoot static landscapes and cityscapes. Nor do the marginal reductions in size and weight compared to the 3.2/90, so I'll pass for now and save my pennies for later.

John
Agree 100% !!

hcubell

John
This is a good thing, so long as Hasselblad continues to offer the option of bigger/slower/heavier lenses that are optimized for exceptional corner to corner sharpness. The discontinuation of the XCD 21mm lens is a troubling sign.

Paratom

Would be very interesting to see how the 90/3.2 and 90/2.5v compare optically.
the size weight advantage of 38 and 55 is bigger tha that for 90mm..
by the way I am one of those who also could not see such very bad corners of the new lenses. I prefer the size/speed of the new lenses. Plan to sell 30 and 65. for me the 28 is a more interesting focal length than 30, and alllmost as wide as I need.
I dont know yet if its worth to upgrade from 90/3.2 to 90v..
any experiences in this regards between the 90s (and also compared tomthe 80)?

Would be very interesting to see how the 90/3.2 and 90/2.5v compare optically.
the size weight advantage of 38 and 55 is bigger tha that for 90mm..
by the way I am one of those who also could not see such very bad corners of the new lenses. I prefer the size/speed of the new lenses. Plan to sell 30 and 65. for me the 28 is a more interesting focal length than 30, and alllmost as wide as I need.
I dont know yet if its worth to upgrade from 90/3.2 to 90v..
any experiences in this regards between the 90s (and also compared tomthe 80)?
I’m also very interested about old 90 vs new 90.
Regarding V lenses: there is a big difference regarding edge to edge sharpness between the 38, 55 and 90, with the 55 being inferior in the corners, both to the new and old lenses. While the ergonomics of the new lenses are excellent, I ended up selling my optically rewarding 38, for a 30mm + 45mm classic combo. The 38 was not suitable for night / stars shooting, while the 30mm is. And while I liked the FOV of the 38mm, I found myself in several occasions struggling for a wider lens. I almost got the 55, but the MTF data didn’t look right, later confirmed by real life reports - I’m so glad I went for the 65 instead!
I am now 100% with “old” XCD lenses, and they are also better suited for my workflow - I found myself accidentaly bumping on multiple occasions the MF ring on the V lens, which blocked any focusing action from the back, and also I’ve never used the configurable ring. It tourns out the consistently stupid simple old style XCD lenses, get the toy / tool out of the way faster, allowing me to focus on the images!
Yes, the new lenses are a bit smaller and sexier, but the I consider the “old” ones better tools for the job! The V lenses look indeed like excellent rich tourist, sorry I meant documentary lenses, but for that … I only need my iphone 🤣

Last edited: