The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HHHR and Olympus Workspace

eddystone

Just testing out HHRS for the first time on newly acquired OM1. Having read somewhere that OM Workspace (which I have just updated) does the best raw conversions my first step was to view the files there. Not only did it take ages/forever on my 2020 i7 iMac with 32GB RAM to render the files but they still looked somewhat pixellated at 1:1. However opening the files in DXO PhotoLab 6 the ORI file rendered quickly and with far superior quality, something like what I was hoping for, not only in terms of resolution but also tonal gradation. Is there an issue perhaps between OM Workspace and Macs?

bensonga

A friend of mine owned a OM1 for about 6 months and I know he took a few HRS/HHRS? images with it. He also uses a Mac, but I don't think he used the OM Workspace to process any of his images. If he still has the HRS/HHRS? images, I'll ask him to 1) send the images to me so I can try processing them with OM Workspace on my WinPC and 2) if he is willing, try processing them on his Mac (a recent M1, exact specs I'm not sure of) with OM Workspace and then I'll report back here.

It took me a bit of time to figure out that HHRS means "Handheld High Resolution Shot". I should have known, since it is available on my E-M1X, but I've never even thought to try it.

Gary

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Sorry for intervening so late, I missed this thread completely ...

The HHRS is one of those computational modes on recent Olympus cameras. It has a "brother", the THRS stands for Tripod High Res Mode ...
I tried them both, and find them not very useful in daily life ... if the subject you shoot is moving even a little bit during the time it takes to make the shots, you get a blur on the moving parts ... so I find it useful only architecture (providing no trees in the view) and other absolutely static objects.
The .ORI file is in fact also a RAW file, it is just the first image of the shot sequence, and in such a life saver in many instances ...
I processed some HRS in the latest version of OM Workspace on my old but reliable MacBook Pro with an i7 processor (late 2013 with 15 inch Retina screen) and found the processing slow.
Then I processed the files in CaptureOne v22 (my usual RAW developper) although C1 state that they are not compatible with the E-M1X HRS mode. Apart from the problem with the blur (that C1 cannot correct of course), I can process the HRS files just fine but a little slower than a non HRS file (file size is around 75 MB, remember) ... so that is my way to work with both THRS and HHRS files nowadays ...
Note that I also use the HHRS sometimes when the camera is mounted on tripod ...

Here's an example of a recent HRS shot developed in C1.

Stay safe,
Rafael
_A295944.jpg