The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Huge prints in Southern California

tashley

Subscriber Member
www.santabarbaragiclee.com

I'll do it! :) I'll even drive it down to Palm Springs and hand deliver to your client.
Im not as large or big and polished like some others mentioned here but have been in business for 30 years+ and do good work.

Cheers,

e
Sounds like a plan, especially for the larger pieces. What can you mount on? I think the client is much more a 'aluminium with battens' guy than a 'stretched canvas' guy but MDF might also work if significantly cheaper. Some will be @50" long side, one will likely be around 80".

Egor

Yep, it is usually 1.5X-2.5X the cost of the actual print when above 8' feet in any direction. I think some innovation is needed in that regard so I am working on some new free form display concepts with a designer at the moment for my home need.

And real good to know on your size options, thanks! At large scale, what is the highest dpi you would be able to put out?
Your welcome, AI_Print! It was actually a bit more than that for a few of these, just because some things had to be handmade. For the really big'uns, we machined an adjustable stretcher bar system made from custom cast aircraft aluminum. (used my contacts in LA movie industry to source that)...The problem seemed to be that as the print dried, outgassed, settled, warmed and cooled, the bars needed to be adjusted. One client wanted us to try plywood? LOL fuggettaboutit! Aluminum because if we did it out of traditional materials it would have weighed a ton (literally, if one of the giclée's used wood, we calc'd it to weigh over 2000LBs due to the steel reinforcement to keep it from warping too much)

Highest DPI our BAP (Big *** Printer) can do is about 1440 I assume that is your question?
DPI (dots per inch printer resolution) refers to printer resolution, the printer we use makes a drop size roughly 720-1440 DPI which we tested (ad nauseum) to be overkill for what any canvas can practically hold.
If you are referring to PPI (pixels per inch digital image resolution) we can handle whatever you got, but there are diminishing returns above 180PPI at size due to HiFi frequency modulated screening technique that all these printers use.

best,

e

Egor

Sounds like a plan, especially for the larger pieces. What can you mount on? I think the client is much more a 'aluminium with battens' guy than a 'stretched canvas' guy but MDF might also work if significantly cheaper. Some will be @50" long side, one will likely be around 80".
We can do metal that large (press size for aluminum substrate is standard 48-inch x 96-inch, actually prefer it to be honest, due to weight and mounting options.
Main problem I have with ChromaLuxe dye transfer to metal (the way most do it) is that white point is very hard to control because its...well..not white; but rather reflective metal.
Usually looks yellow in the neutrals like whites, although new Epsons do better than old. So I prefer to print onto metallic paper and mount onto aluminum for better control of color and quality, but its a judgement call. Both look spectacular. Then there are some pretty cool mounting frame options...

I will PM you later today. Cheers!

e