The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL2 Lenses.

postman

I am looking for a good quality, weather sealed/auto focus lens for the Leica SL2. 35/50mm. I have a bunch of M Lenses and the Monochrome is my main camera. I am trying not to spend a ton of money on Leica SL lenses. I have a TL 70-135 but full frame, weather sealed, auto focus would be great.

Thanks in advance.

msadat

Leica brand so lenses are 5k+, not wanting to spend much look at Panasonic or sigma. The Pani 50 and 24-70 are superb

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
The sigma 45mm is a very good lens on the SL2: fast, quite small and light, and fine IQ. Maybe not quite as good as the Summicron-SL 50mm, but it's $4.500 less expensive. I've had it out in the rain more than once without issue.

fotografz

Keep your eye on the newer Sigma lenses ... they are made in two mounts: Leica L and Sony FE. Sigma is part of the L consortium along with Panasonic and Leica.

For example, the most recent Sigma 85/1.4 ART is very good and able to fully resolve the Sony 61 meg FF sensor. It's smaller and optically superior to the previous Sigma ART 85mm and it has an aperture ring. The only flaw I could find is barrel curvature which I eliminated with a setting in-camera on my Sony.

Paul2660

Sigma makes the Art series of lenses in the L mount, and I would consider them, excellent optics and I believe the Art series have some weather sealing
Also the Panasonic L lenses are quite good. I tried the 24-105, and liked it but found a used 24-90 Lecia and stuck with it.

I am looking toward the Panasonic 50mm 1.4 as I have read nothing but good reviews on it. And the 14-24 Sigma L (believe it's an Art series).

Paul

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am waiting for a copy of the new Leica 24-70 2.8 (reportedly made by Sigma). The Leica version is twice the price of the Sigma, but it is marketed as being weather-sealed to Leica specs.
thanks
-bob

Prince

I suspect the SL 24-70mm lens is made by Sigma but according to Leica's specifications like the hood and body of the lens. Quite possibily the lens coating and QC to ensure a more consistent performace. But the optical design is almost identical to the Sigma's.