The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL3

Paul Spinnler

The main attraction of the system are the APO optics which are the best 35mm optics I've ever seen. They can regularly fool you to think that 200% zoom is 100% – they are that good, although a bit clinical with no vignetting and perfect sharpness across the frame.

Great, great system – if you don't shoot sports.

Wish they had upgraded the EVF though.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Always nice to see a Jono review. He's not afraid to leave dark shadows dark!

Paul2660

Leica could have led with new tech and instead they have left out tech, multi shot.
No focus bracketing, which is pretty standard on modern mirrorless cameras.
Can’t tell if they dropped the self timer back to a separate exposure mode which can’t be used besides single exposure.
Paul

Paul Spinnler

It was strongly hinted by engineers on site at launch that multi shot will be added via firmware later, like back in the day with the SL2.

Wouldn't ascribe a negative intent to "not lead" with tech or "drop" features willingly; complex features just take time to implement and sometimes you just launch and add later if you want to avoid delays. Content authentication was also omitted due to time required to implement.

Leica added perspective control, multi shot etc. via firmware during the last cycle. Expect evolution over lifetime of the SL3.

Its a great system.

Last edited:

Epstar83

The SL2 already pretty much does everything I want, so don't see any meaningful reason to upgrade. That being said the SL3 does seem to be a superb camera! I am hopeful that they will add Multi Shot to it via firmware at a later date, it is a good feature for certain applications, I use it for architecture and scanning 120 & 4x5 film. I would love to see manual focus aids included that are similar to the Nikon ZF. Some kind of manual focus face detect and focus confirmation should be possible and would be a beautiful addition for those of us using M lenses on the system.

Paul Spinnler

That's a good feature - didn't know manual focus to face detect! I love manual focus to 100% for M glass, but adding FD to it is actually smart. What happens if there is a group of people?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I love my SL2-S and have already done lot of great shootings with it. I also love tho use it in combination with my M lenses, especially with a 1.4 35 ASPH and the 2 72 ASPH, what a great combo!

What makes me so interested in the SL3 is mainly the smaller size and lower weight as this would soon turn out to be a major advantage - I use the SL as my main camera also when traveling and a size and weight reduction is something god sent.

The 60MP is another welcome addition and with that this might for a very long time be what I really believe to need in resolution, although I could survive with 40MP as well.

Having said all that the SL3 is a real contender for becoming may new main camera, just I am in no hurry and wait for some great offers or even price reduction which usually happen after some time.

Manoli

Leica pre-empted the clamour for firmware improvements, but nothing in the appendix so far!pm-108314-leica-sl3_instructions_en_1_0_pdf.jpg

Last edited:

Paul2660

MS may happen. But lack of focus bracketing is something all the SL bodies share. Should be easy to implement with firmware as all other companies have figured out how even P1.
Paul

rga

I'm not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but it appears the "remote" (cable?) release rca jack is not present on the SL3 per the manual. There is a USB-C type port on the side (pg. 28, #38) that is labeled "remote release" in the manual, but there is no further mention of remote release, other than via Focus, anywhere else in the camera.
Anyone else know anything differently? If true, is there another Leica camera that has a cable release for this type port?
It also appears that B mode is used by pressing the shutter on then again to close the shutter (introducing camera shake) and T mode is limited by the pre-programed shutter speed lengths the shutter can be open...

iiiNelson

I'm not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but it appears the "remote" (cable?) release rca jack is not present on the SL3 per the manual. There is a USB-C type port on the side (pg. 28, #38) that is labeled "remote release" in the manual, but there is no further mention of remote release, other than via Focus, anywhere else in the camera.
Anyone else know anything differently? If true, is there another Leica camera that has a cable release for this type port?
It also appears that B mode is used by pressing the shutter on then again to close the shutter (introducing camera shake) and T mode is limited by the pre-programed shutter speed lengths the shutter can be open...
I’m guessing that they expect folks to just use the Leica Fotos app.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You can put your hand in front of the lens before closing the shutter if you're worried.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I held the SL3 in hand yesterday for the first time in the Leica Store Vienna and could give it some try. To put my post in relation I want to mention that currently I am shooting the SL2-S and enjoy this camera very much. I also should mention that I am primarily a photographer (90%) and the rest I am taking videos (occasionally). What I found is:

1) the new dimensions of the SL3 and its ergonomics make is much more enjoyable to hold compared to the SL2 - should mention I have rather larger hands.
2) the weight of the SL3 is not much less than the SL2, but while holding and operating it makes a pretty noticeable difference, maybe also owed to the new ergonomics and reduced size of the camera body.
3) the top display is far better to read compares to the old display
4) the menu system and the whole organisation of the menus is different and much more advanced and overall much easier to understand than the already great menu system of the SL2
5) the SL3 balances very well with the SL lenses, especially the non APO primes
6) from the short time I played around with it I had the impression it is very fast and reactive
7) I liked that new Power ON/OFF button, especially as it also allows to set the camera to a fast awake standby mode
8) the tillable screen is a god sent and finally allows to use the camera much more efficiently not only for taking photos but also during making videos.

Overall I am sure that Leica nailed it with that SL3 release and I am very much looking forward to get one as soon as they start offering new bundles (I am looking for a bundle with the non APO 35 or 50) and price reductions with the SL3, which I expect to happen after several months.

bab

if there was an M12 with 9.5m EVF, flip screen and IBIS would you buy the BRICK SL3?

Paul Spinnler

Don't bet on fast price reductions. Leica has developed the SL3 to a point where it is really compelling from the getgo both from a lens portfolio, basic features (AF, BSI, size) perspective where I think it will sell well for a while. They will reduce price when sales taper off and inventory is filling up.

This won't happen as fast as with the SL2 which always lagged a bit especially regarding AF and availability of cheaper "kit" lens options - ie non Apo glass for less.

Tried the SL3 too - immediately clear that this is going to sell well.

Fantastic camera, especially now with BSI, better AF and fantastic APO glass incl. the world's first 21mm APO with the newly released super 21 SL.

Almost certain it will take more than a short term few months. More like next year maybe.

The main reason we saw SL2 price reductions was because the product was too much of a hard sell back in the day vs. the compeition outside of the Leica clientele and Leica wanted to grow the market share. In the meantime the successfully developed the Q line into a bestselling product line with the Q2 and Q3 (I hear it even outsells the M) which are all factors, jointly with top of the line product features, which put the Sl3 in a different starting spot vs. the competition. Also they use the best in class Sony 60 megapixel chip, have good enough AF now and also cheaper glass options both with non Apo native and third party L glass. So most SL2 sales channel problem feedbacks have been addressed.

It is a lot more compelling product basically in its third generation and Leica in the meantime further expanded its audience on all fronts - they posted record revenues last year ... so it will take a bit longer for them "needing" to offer discounts to move boxes. The Leica store I visited said they have a good waiting list for it (Milan). They will come, but not in the next months already ... almost sure about this one. Its a keeper camera the moment you handle it!

Last edited: