The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format and Coffee

anyone

Hi Glenn, thank you! Since I got the Kuksa as a gift I do not have any further information besides that most likely it was gotten somewhere in Rovaniemi :)

dave.gt

So, I am slowly working my way back to shooting the Leica S on a daily basis. The unusual brutally cold weather set us back four weeks. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I am however, enjoying my coffee in the mornings a little more since I have a bit more time in the early hours. I have had time to think and develop a plan: the current plan is to get a Chemex pour-over and stainless steel kettle setup… and see if I can learn the technique of creating a great pour-over coffee.

The big problem will be getting a quality grinder. The cost is much higher than I can afford at the moment, so, I will be putting this new adventure together as time goes on and I hope to have it all ready by Fall. This will give me plenty of time to research all the aspects of pour-overs including coffee bean selection … 😇

This will be great fun!

anyone

Consider a quality manual grinder like the ‘Comandante’ if you do not mind the manual process.

Edit:
Here are good options:
Comandante: https://www.comandantegrinder.com/
I own now two of these, one for filter coffee and one for Espresso. It has enough space to grind beans for a couple of cups at once.

Porlex Mini Grinder 2: https://www.porlexgrinders.com/
Good grinder for filter and french press. It's my travel option, small and lightweight. It only fits enough beans for one large cup of coffee. The larger models are reported to be not that ergonomic to hold.

Edit2: seems I am repeating myself, I wrote about the Comandante grinder already earlier in this thread ;-) But it's well worth repeating.

Last edited:

FloatingLens

So, I am slowly working my way back to shooting the Leica S on a daily basis. The unusual brutally cold weather set us back four weeks. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I am however, enjoying my coffee in the mornings a little more since I have a bit more time in the early hours. I have had time to think and develop a plan: the current plan is to get a Chemex pour-over and stainless steel kettle setup… and see if I can learn the technique of creating a great pour-over coffee.

The big problem will be getting a quality grinder. The cost is much higher than I can afford at the moment, so, I will be putting this new adventure together as time goes on and I hope to have it all ready by Fall. This will give me plenty of time to research all the aspects of pour-overs including coffee bean selection … 😇

This will be great fun!
Seems like a very good and thoughtful plan!

Photon42

Consider a quality manual grinder like the ‘Comandante’ if you do not mind the manual process.
I definitely second that. Quality manual grinders are not that expensive and much better than a motorised one and the same price bracket. I think you showed one on your mobile setup - I happen to have the same one for trips and it is actually pretty good for its price (I think I paid around 60 Alpendollars for it here in Switzerland).

dave.gt

Medium format… coffee.

I am considering purchasing this book by a photographer I am beginning to really enjoy.
Sebastiao Salgado.
6FBC65DB-FF77-42AF-88EC-D0A6ED908C55.jpeg
Has anyone here bought this one? Any idea if he used medium format for this book? I read somewhere he has used several different formats including 135 film.

MartinN

There is only so little time and so much to do, I think I will pass this one….

How can I ever have time for practicin music making ? And all the other stuff ?

doccdiamond

Medium format… coffee.

I am considering purchasing this book by a photographer I am beginning to really enjoy.
Sebastiao Salgado.
View attachment 202675
Has anyone here bought this one? Any idea if he used medium format for this book? I read somewhere he has used several different formats including 135 film.
Salgado used mainly Leica SLR‘s and M‘s (and Kodak Tri X)during his analog times and later Pentax 645. For digital he changed to Canon, as mentioned.

dave.gt

Salgado is quite interesting…. I will continue reading more about his work. Right now, though, I find it too much work doing the research. LOL. I’m exhausted and need a break.

No, I’m not really that lazy, perhaps I just need a bit of local inspiration… over a nice cup of coffee, prepared by a real barista.
Does anyone know where I can find a coffee shop in Atlanta that serves great latte complete with the latte art I see online? We haven’t been anywhere literally in years.

But I cannot seem to find anywhere locally to enjoy a coffee that is not in a paper cup, let alone with a delightful work of art. Coffee prepared by someone else in a nice coffee shop would be such a nice change…🙁

If I can find such a place, I will gladly post some images using the S 006. 😃

lookbook

The work of the world-famous Brazilian photographer Sebastião Salgado is characterised by empathy. His raw black-and-white images of the world's crisis areas, such as the famine in the Sahel, the genocide in Rwanda or the working conditions in a Brazilian gold mine, went around the world. Until, having reached his breaking point, he drew a line under his work and made fauna, flora and environmental protection the focus of his work.

KC_2020

Does anyone know where I can find a coffee shop in Atlanta that serves great latte complete with the latte art I see online? We haven’t been anywhere literally in years.
I cannot vouch all of the recommendations below though I have been to Taproom Coffee which is near Kirkwood. They offer quality coffee and craft beer. So depending on your needs and the time of day you might find it enjoyable. I did.

The 16 Best Coffee Shops In Atlanta In 2023

darr

Just saw this and thought ya’all might enjoy seeing it too.

1942- Manhattan, New York, Italian-American cafe espresso shop on MacDougal Street where coffee and soft drinks are sold. The coffee machine cost one thousand dollars. This showcases the large traditional espresso machine made of brass.

1685158054434.jpeg

$1,000 USD in 1942 would be about $19,000 USD today!

dave.gt

Well, my Keurig coffee maker just stopped working. I think it lasted less than a year this time. 😡I’m done with Keurig.

Time to go buy a Mr. Coffee 5 cup machine for $30usd.

That and my Bialetti moka pot will have to do…🤷🏼‍♂️

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, my Keurig coffee maker just stopped working. I think it lasted less than a year this time. 😡I’m done with Keurig.

Time to go buy a Mr. Coffee 5 cup machine for $30usd.

That and my Bialetti moka pot will have to do…🤷🏼‍♂️
Keurig is an abomination. Nespresso is pretty good, but too expensive. I would be happy with just the moka pot.