The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format and Coffee

MartinN

Roasting ?

No, somewhere there is a limit for me. I was happy to discover decaffeinated beans (by the help of this thread) and now my stomach even accepts 50/50 mixture of plain and decaffeinated. My stomach is indeed playing games for me, sometimes able to take anyting and other days giving severe upset signs.

Thanks for making my brains work and thinking about decaffeinated.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
BTW, one can roast coffee in a frying pan. Before Maxwell House, this was how most people made coffee at home. There's also the heat gun and metal dogfood bowl method. I'm not making that up.

Matt

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

Shashin

BTW, one can roast coffee in a frying pan. Before Maxwell House, this was how most people made coffee at home. There's also the heat gun and metal dogfood bowl method. I'm not making that up.

Matt
I am not making that up either!

:bugeyes:

Oh, you mean you are being honest...

:ROTFL:

MartinN

I have had a busy week with a lot of instant coffee:shocked:. Today we have a holiday here in Finland, and I have just started my Espresso machine and am waiting for the special enjoyment:).

P. Chong

I hope this is not against the guidelines, but dave.gt pointed to this thread to me, and I had already written up on how I make hand roasted coffees...here is the link.

https://deployant.com/chillout-tgifridays-stay-home-activity-hand-roast-your-own-coffee/

Not a medium format image, but here is a rather recent roast. Bolivian Bird Friendly Superior AA. About 8 mins to completion of drying phase from charge. 8 minutes further to first crack, and about 4 minutes of roast development to completion. The charge weight was about 180g, and final coffee weighed about 150g. I have been hand roasting for about 20 years, a bit longer than my medium format habit, so may have some tiny experience with it. I have been tempted with a more professional roaster, like the Hottop and run Artisan software, but so far have resisted.

my-roast.jpg

P. Chong

The La Marzocco Linea is a beaut. I have a Mazzer Mini too...I assume yours is also a Mini, or is it a larger one? If you are interested in a cool and very clever doserless solution which is very neat, let me know. I have no commercial interest in it, but am very happy with single dose grinding, with no mess.

GFX|110/2

I've had to retire my previous machine because after 7 years of use its boiler gave up the ghost and no spare parts available. I replaced it with a 'La Marzocco' - which is basically an industrial machine for home use, same parts and availability as the machines made for coffee shops with 4 cups...and very easy to maintain oneself - highly recommended - the frothing tube is also always cool to touch so no accidental burns possible - great technology. Couldn't help myself putting my SL2 and Nocti in the shot - no apologies! :grin:

tsjanik

It is time to discuss roasting your own coffee!:grin:

Who is doing it and how does one get started?

On the Fun with Medium Format thread, that M3 amongst the coffee beans is so cool in a lot of ways, maybe we can find some more images of Leica and espresso?
Dave:
I have been roasting for a few years. I love the quality and the ability to experiment with various coffees, blends, roasting times and temperatures. It is also economical: I can order excellent green beans for as little $6/lb. (the beans lose about 15% of their weight during roasting, so the roasted bean cost is about $7/lb.). It is, however, a lot easier to just order roasted beans and the quality and type available nowadays is excellent. Years ago, my wife and I brewed beer, but in those days there were few beers beyond Miller, Bud, etc.; we don't bother now that so many wonderful beers are available. Roasting your own needs to be something you want to do, otherwise it's just another chore. I use a simple, inexpensive roaster which basically is a modified heat gun that uses a heating element and fan to heat and agitate the beans. I have been using an older model of this one: https://coffeeproject.com/roasters/fresh-roast/fresh-roast-sr540-coffee-roaster.html
Matt is correct about the smoke. I roast in the garage with the rear door ajar and the garage door as least partially open. The Coffee Project is an excellent source of information and beans, as is Sweet Maria's mentioned by Matt.

Tom

Last edited:

dave.gt

Dave:
I have been roasting for a few years. I love the quality and the ability to experiment with various coffees, blends, roasting times and temperatures. It is also economical: I can order excellent green beans for as little $6/lb. (the beans lose about 15% of their weight during roasting, so the roasted bean cost is about $7/lb.). It is, however, a lot easier to just order roasted beans and the quality and type available nowadays is excellent. Years ago, my wife and I brewed beer, but in those days there were few beers beyond Miller, Bud, etc.; we don't bother now that so many wonderful beers are available. Roasting your own needs to be something you want to do, otherwise it's just another chore. I use a simple, inexpensive roaster which basically is a modified heat gun that uses a heating element and fan to heat and agitate the beans. I have been using an older model of this one: https://coffeeproject.com/roasters/fresh-roast/fresh-roast-sr540-coffee-roaster.html
Matt is correct about the smoke. I roast in the garage with the rear door ajar and the garage door as least partially open. The Coffee Project is an excellent source of information and beans, as is Sweet Maria's mentioned by Matt.

Tom
Whew! It has been awhile for me. The pandemic has been devastating in more ways than one, including taking us away from enjoying life... and coffee.:banghead:

Tom, my apologies.

So, with a cup of coffee in hand, I return to your post. Thanks so much for that information!:)

Roasting sounds like fun but problematic for us. The little space in which we spend most of our days is not likely to allow for my indulgence in roasting but it sure is tempting! However, there is a coffee shop and roaster in a little town a short drive from here and the owner has a good selection of beans. I will have to sample his Guatemalan roast soon.

Thinking back over the past six months, coffee in the morning has been one of those survival strategies that I fully embrace. While my opportunities for shooting MF have been restricted, the morning coffee ritual has become a welcome time of reconciliation with life in general. :)

We sometimes take it for granted, but that little white cup with the "nectar of the gods" is, for me, as important as listening to the Mockingbirds singing at sunrise. I never tire of that peaceful solitude.

Roasting will for now, be a daydream to which I can return and imagine the aroma and taste that so many enjoy.

Perhaps, today will be a good day to use a roll of TriX in the 'Blad. Pairing film and coffee is an art in itself.:thumbup:

Edit: Tom, for some reason that link does not work for me. 404 error. :(

• Thanks

dave.gt

Kona coffee.

It has been 25 years since I last had Kona Coffee. Anyone here have a recommendation for buying the best?:):):)

anyone

Perhaps, today will be a good day to use a roll of TriX in the 'Blad. Pairing film and coffee is an art in itself.:thumbup:
By the way, how did the TriX turn out? I like the grain and character of the film a lot. For landscape, I do not have much use for it, but I still enjoy watching pictures taken with it!

dave.gt

By the way, how did the TriX turn out? I like the grain and character of the film a lot. For landscape, I do not have much use for it, but I still enjoy watching pictures taken with it!
Ah, yes, I donned to send it off for developing. Thank you for reminding me. Tri-X is not my choice for landscapes mostly because the sunlight in our part of the world is very bright and harsh. I typically use 100 ISO (or at least much slower than 400) film. Portraits, buildings, etc, are easier.

I will post some results as soon as I can. :)

dave.gt

Oh my gosh, wouldn't that be a treat! Thank you!!!:)

Today is my birthday, I am 39 now. My math is always suspect so if you get a wildly different number, blame it on the caffeine! :) I wished for a cool Fall day, and I got it!!! So, with my second cup just minutes away, life is good again! LOL...

To simple pleasures ... !!!! Cheers!

darr

Today is my birthday, I am 39 now. My math is always suspect so if you get a wildly different number, blame it on the caffeine! :) I wished for a cool Fall day, and I got it!!! So, with my second cup just minutes away, life is good again! LOL...

Happy Birthday!!🎈🎉🎂🎊🎁
Welcome to the Forever 39 Club! :)

spb

Staff member
Coffee making in the morning is a serious occupation! ;) Life is enhanced by that aroma, the hand-grinding and filtration. Drinking it is the moment of truth! Was the mixture right, the amount of water correct, the right grind........ it's very unsettling first thing to get any of the sequence wrong. I have never gone into self roasting as I can source excellent Ethiopian coffee (our favourite) in beans, all I have to do is grind.

jng

Happy birthday, Dave! I turn 29 this year. Again!

John

spb

Staff member
Happy birthday Dave, is this first time around 39?