The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 135/1.8 S Plena

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Wonderful lens,

but as already said the sizes of the Nikon Z 1.2 50 and 85 and now this 1.8 135 are far to big for what I need and want to carry.

Photon42

Wonderful lens,

but as already said the sizes of the Nikon Z 1.2 50 and 85 and now this 1.8 135 are far to big for what I need and want to carry.
No need to complain. They (Nikon) do have smaller lenses around. Not every other camera manufacturer does have this type of lens, though :cool:

The 135/1.8 lens has about the same weight as the 1.4/105 (which I still own), but is about 4cm longer, IIRC, with a similar diameter. I think that is more or less ok. I would have to sell the 105 and 70-200 to make this happen, so that lens is not going to enter my home anytime soon :oops:

Ai_Print

About 10 minutes before the announcement, I spent my 135mm 1.8P money on a Hasselblad 38 2.5 V and 55 2.5 V. Ooops.

I will definitely get it though, it's going to be a stellar optic.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
No need to complain. They (Nikon) do have smaller lenses around. Not every other camera manufacturer does have this type of lens, though :cool:

The 135/1.8 lens has about the same weight as the 1.4/105 (which I still own), but is about 4cm longer, IIRC, with a similar diameter. I think that is more or less ok. I would have to sell the 105 and 70-200 to make this happen, so that lens is not going to enter my home anytime soon :oops:
I had all the smaller Z lenses from Nikon and I wanted faster but smaller than 1.2 versions - we call that 1.4 aperture primes ....

Sony can do this look at their 1.4/50 and even their 1.2/50 is much smaller compared to the Nikon, Sigma can do this nicely look at their 1.4/85 for E-Mount and L-Mount and even Leica's 1.4/50 is reasonably smaller.

Unfortunately such directions did not happen and made me finally leave Nikon Z .... where is obviously also another mindset around - right?

So even if there is enough to complain IMHO I stopped doing so some time ago and just looked elsewhere :cool:

Last edited:

Photon42

About 10 minutes before the announcement, I spent my 135mm 1.8P money on a Hasselblad 38 2.5 V and 55 2.5 V. Ooops.

I will definitely get it though, it's going to be a stellar optic.
the 38 makes me not wanting a Q anymore. Really nice and light lens.

Photon42

I had all the smaller Z lenses from Nikon and I wanted faster but smaller than 1.2 versions - we call that 1.4 aperture primes ....

Sony can do this look at their 1.4/50 and even their 1.2/50 is much smaller compared to the Nikon, Sigma can do this nicely look at their 1.4/85 for E-Mount and L-Mount and even Leica's 1.4/50 is reasonably smaller.

Unfortunately such directions did not happen and made me finally leave Nikon Z .... where is obviously also another mindset around - right?

So even if there is enough to complain IMHO I stopped doing so some time ago and just looked elsewhere :cool:
Nikon seem to have omitted the f/1.4 line for the Z mount. I guess they want a line of lenses where they can actually pull all (or most strings). For that purpose and differentiation against f/1.8, a f/1.2 line makes more sense. I did not buy any of the 1.2 lenses so far, because like for you they are too large for my uses and I am happy with the 1.8 lenses for most cases. For the blurrr-it-all-shot I recently purchased a relatively compact Voigtländer 1.0 with manual focus and native Z mount.
I just think it does not help to complain about the same thing over and over again. The decision has been made long back - probably even when the worked out the Z mount.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Nikon seem to have omitted the f/1.4 line for the Z mount. I guess they want a line of lenses where they can actually pull all (or most strings). For that purpose and differentiation against f/1.8, a f/1.2 line makes more sense. I did not buy any of the 1.2 lenses so far, because like for you they are too large for my uses and I am happy with the 1.8 lenses for most cases. For the blurrr-it-all-shot I recently purchased a relatively compact Voigtländer 1.0 with manual focus and native Z mount.
I just think it does not help to complain about the same thing over and over again. The decision has been made long back - probably even when the worked out the Z mount.
But look at Sony, which is not my preferred brand, BUT they meanwhile managed to have a very excellent range of fast primes that are reasonably small.

As a photographer who wants to stay mobile I cannot stand this for me useless 1.2 primes and I am not stopping to repeat this. If I would mainly work on set or in studio, I would love the 1.2 primes of the Z system. But Nikon should also think like Sony and offer a little slower version of these lenses - aka 1,4.

Having said that history has shown that Nikon many times has been ignorant, which over the course of time did not really help them business wise.

Duff photographer

But look at Sony, which is not my preferred brand, BUT they meanwhile managed to have a very excellent range of fast primes that are reasonably small.

As a photographer who wants to stay mobile I cannot stand this for me useless 1.2 primes and I am not stopping to repeat this. If I would mainly work on set or in studio, I would love the 1.2 primes of the Z system. But Nikon should also think like Sony and offer a little slower version of these lenses - aka 1,4.
As most of us know, the intentionally larger Z mount is to allow the design of a lens to perform well into the corners (to reduce vignetting, aberratons, etc.). The result is a larger, bulkier lens that has the convenient consequence of allowing a larger aperture. I don't think Nikon are going to negate the rationale of the Z mount by producing smaller aperture lenses that would be no better than their F mount equivalent (the design leeway of a shorter back-flange for the Z mount lenses aside), at least to any great extent.

Although bulky, the weight of the 135mm specifically is about average for such a focal length/aperture. Having written that, I find bulk more inconvenient than weight. It's one of the reasons why I've stuck with a DSLR for my 35mm work so I can natively run smaller, lighter lenses when needed.

Cheers,
Duff.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The more I dig into the results of this lens the more I want one - it is actually a lens that creates obviously a look that I really love and prefer.

Well - the size and weight still remain, but I could imagine pairing it with either a Zf or a Z8 for some occasional needs I think I have - remains to be determined if I really have that needs or it is just more desire??????

Time will tell if it brings me back to Nikon Z ;)

Ai_Print

I have both the 50mm 1.8S and 50mm 1.2S, the 1.8 is a go anywhere anytime lens and the 1.2 is like skydiving with lead shoes: You put that thing in the bag, you are committed to using it, lol!

Currently having too much fun with the Sony GM 50/1.2, but with this series, I can see myself getting a Z8. Nikon did put a lot of work into this to minimize the optical vignetting while keeping it still in line in terms of weight and size with the other brands. That's not an easy feat. Too bad I wish Nikon would have started out with a 105/1.4 instead. That lens got such a great following on the F-mount.