The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 2020 Q2 Financials

Darin Marcus

Nikon just released their financial report for the second quarter of their 2020 fiscal year.
For those interested, the presentation material can be accessed at https://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/pdf/2021/21second_all_e.pdf

I am not a financial expert, but I still found a few interesting things in it. For example, as Thom Hogan noted on his blog today, Nikon appears to change focus more and more towards pro/hobbyist photographers. The graphic on slide 25 shows that over 70% of their imaging products target this category of customers during this fiscal year, with the sales ratio expected to increase significantly starting next year, and going over 90% in fiscal year 2023!

I think this will have a big impact not only on the number of cameras/lenses that they expect to sell in the future, but also on the type of cameras/lenses that they will produce - more high end, less consumer, probably less exotic and more to address the needs of the working pros (although hobbyists may want some interesting designs and features).

On slide 37 they appear to expect R&D costs to remain constant for the next FY, but the R&D/revenue ratio to increase. However, the amount of R&D funds allocated to the imaging products division will decrease during the next FY (2021)...

Finally, on slide 39, they expect to sell more imaging products during the next quarter, but then to sell even less during the following 3 quarters than during Q2 2020.

So, Nikon's share of the camera market will further decline, and their range of products will get smaller and biased towards the higher end.

Swissblad

With camera sales down over 54% globally - it will be interesting to see how Sony reacts to such developments - would love to be a fly on the wall in one of their boardroom meetings;)

For Nikon - it's actually no different to where they started - like Leica - a brand for professional photo journalists.

In the 60's-80's....Nikon didn't cater to the broad public....that was done largely by Minolta, Pentax and Canon.

Nikon simply was out of the price range of the general amateur - and their products didn't incorporate the latest bells and whistles like Canon (A-1) or Pentax (ME super).

Personally - I'm not that worried - it would be good to see them return to their core values - BUT - it would imply

far fewer releases, higher prices and hopefully better quality with fewer recalls etc.

Darin Marcus

Personally - I'm not that worried - it would be good to see them return to their core values - BUT - it would imply

far fewer releases, higher prices and hopefully better quality with fewer recalls etc.
I agree, and I am fine with it.
I see myself in the hobbyist category, so I am looking forward to what they have in store for "us" :cool:
However, my bag is full now, so I do not plan to buy any of the upcoming lenses from their current roadmap, but rather to spend some time learning to better use what I have bought so far.
But if they have some interesting lens designs in the pipeline, I might be persuaded... :D

As far as the cameras go, I am fine with the Z6 and the Z50 - not looking to upgrade for a few years.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
For me, it's about the basic reliability, build-quality, ergos & UI, and of course glass and IQ. For my needs, the Z line delivers all of those in spades and I'm satisfied with it. Could it have some improvements? Yes. Will it? Yes. Will I adopt subsequent improved models? Assuming they add enough benefit to what I already own, it's highly likely. And in contrast to Darin, I will absolutely be adding more Z glass!