The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Good, thoughtful article. I, too, wish Nikon would open the spec for the Z mount. I’d very much like to see Zeiss produce a Z version of the Loxias.

But I think the real takeaway from that article is this: perhaps the most important determinant of the success (or not) of the Z Nikons is how aggressive they are with firmware updates. They will learn a lot when there are thousands of cameras out in the world, and if they translate that into firmware improvements on a regular basis, the camera’s and Nikon’s reputations will continually improve.
Firmware updates are imperative for the success of the Z cameras and I hope they just bring these in a similar way Fuji is doing. This would make their new mirrorless cameras behave totally different in 1 or 2 years - much more optimised and refined.

I really hope they are doing that!

SrMphoto

The adapter is infact quite nice. You can use even MF A lenses (no need for A, AI, AIS,... or prongs). You set the aperture from the camera and not the lens. How accurate the metering would be remains to be seen.

Remember that it is Nikon that made a big deal about their matrix metering working accurately with lenses with a chip and D.

For the 5 axis stabilisation to work, you do need the D (and later) lenses. Otherwise it is only 3 axis stabilisation.
Do you have a source for that (5 axis in D lenses)?
What I understand is what Thom Hogan wrote here:
"Sensor Shift VR is still performed with lenses mounted on the adapter, though only in three axes. Lenses with VR in them can add the other two axes."

The article linked above is a great write-up of the adapter.

V

Vivek

He will correct it in due course! :)

Keep in mind (and remind Thom) that you get 5 axis stabilisation with the system lenses that have no VR.

Do you have a source for that (5 axis in D lenses)?
What I understand is what Thom Hogan wrote here:
"Sensor Shift VR is still performed with lenses mounted on the adapter, though only in three axes. Lenses with VR in them can add the other two axes."
The article linked above is a great write-up of the adapter.
PS: FWIW, most of this stuff is fairly common knowledge for the Sony users.

k-hawinkler

Keep in mind (and remind Thom) that you get 5 axis stabilisation with the system lenses that have no VR.

... or the Olympus users. :LOL:

k-hawinkler

Many Nikon users are going to be in shock when they find out what (real) mirroless can do for them that could not be dreamt with the old DSLR! :LOL:
The following is still one of my favorite handheld AF shots! :shocked:

Super Harvest Blood Moon of 2015-09-27

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS @ ISO 3200, FOCAL LENGTH 90.0 mm, APERTURE f/2.8, EXPOSURE TIME 0.2s (1/5). :clap:

BTW, the stars are really there - not noise! :LOL:

SrMphoto

AFAIK, you are the only one that mentions 5 axis stabilization with the adapter and non-VR lenses. Nikon’s own documentation talks about 3 axis stabilization (5 stops) with FTZ. DPR writes the same as Thom (3 axis for non VR, 5 axis with VR lenses).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Steve Perry's take on the Z6, Z7 for Wildlife............not good.
Steve Perry's take on the Z6, Z7 for Wildlife............not good. - FM Forums

He states 1/15 s sensor readout time. :banghead:

If this readout time is essential to define a decent wildlife then the Z7/Z6 are of course behind Sony. And Sony will further develop their sensors so even if Nikon catches up WRT readout times till 2020, then Sony should have 1/250 readout time - which means a new leapfrogging above what they have today. Maybe even something like global shutter combined with more whatever processing on sensor .....

I cannot see how to catchup because Sony has the advantage of not only defining, designing and also manufacturing their own sensors, but also the knowledge of which technologies to use for such a complex sensor. The secret of success here is the combination of all and I am not sure if Nikon or any other vendor can catchup at all if Sony does not allow access to all these pieces.

Just my 5c :bugeyes:

SrMphoto

I read through the whole thread on Fredmiranda and could not find any reference to Nikon Z sensor readout time. Sony a7rIII has 1/15 sec for lossless raw (source: Kasson), 1/30 for lossy compressed raw. It would make sense for Nikon Z7 to be similar in that aspect. However, after reading Jim Kasson's blog about the measurements, I do not understand how you can measure it without having the camera.

A9 is technologically a great camera, but a7rIII, D850 or Z7 are better for some applications (better dynamic range at lower ISO, resolution, no AA filter, ...).

k-hawinkler

I read through the whole thread on Fredmiranda and could not find any reference to Nikon Z sensor readout time. Sony a7rIII has 1/15 sec for lossless raw (source: Kasson), 1/30 for lossy compressed raw. It would make sense for Nikon Z7 to be similar in that aspect. However, after reading Jim Kasson's blog about the measurements, I do not understand how you can measure it without having the camera.

A9 is technologically a great camera, but a7rIII, D850 or Z7 are better for some applications (better dynamic range at lower ISO, resolution, no AA filter, ...).

Steve Perry mentioned it in his video. Of course, I do not know his source.

K-H.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

This doesn't make sense. I doubt that it's possible to shoot 12 fps. like the Z6 does with a sensor that offers a readout time of 1/15s, and shooting 4K video at 30 fps. would clearly be impossible, no? I'd like to see a scientifically based explanation of the relation between exposure times, frame rates and readout times before I have an opinion of this.

His non-review was all over rather positive.

retow

Based on specs, I should run 100m in 9.9 sec. But the prove is and always was on the tracks:🤔😬 Hopefully we can read meaningful tests of the real cameras soon.