The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

If this is the real deal, it's very interesting. It reminds me of the asymetric shape of the Olympus E-1, a camera that it was easy to fall in love with.

iiiNelson

My first thought was that I’m happy the camera seems a bit larger and maybe this will sort of put to rest the idea (I believe Panasonic and the Micro 4/3 Consortium started this idea when comparing their system to traditional DSLR’s of the time around 10 years ago) that Mirrorless in going to alway inherently have to be smaller and lighter as I believe there’s room and a case to be made that both sizes are desired for different use cases. My second though was that the mount looks massive enough to warrant going medium format (which could still support F-mount lenses in a crop mode with adapter) but I’m sure they and Canon will stick to FF... but perhaps we will get an assortment of large diameter stubby lenses. If you’re building it a new system though I do believe sensor size will add a better dynamic to product differentiation personally since the lenses for the F-mount already work for the intended subjects.

I’ll probably pass on this camera for a myriad of reasons (most of which come down to I’m not so sure Nikon will innovate in the market with anything in this camera beyond what Sony/Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic are already doing but I’m willing to be proven wrong) but competition is good nonetheless... and if you demand that your camera say Nikon on it then you’ll have something to organically hang your hat on.

SrMphoto

I actually think the Sony's are pretty good with respect to ergonomics. Have you ever held the Leica CL? After shooting with APS-C format with a few camera models, I certainly think that FF has a huge advantage in DOF, resolution and printing size. Just give it a hybrid finder Nikon.
We may have a different opinion what good ergonomics means. Is it the number of features? Is it the number of configurable buttons? For me, it is a correlation with the joy of using a cameras. I own and use both Sony A7rIII and Leica CL, and I enjoy using CL much more. It is obvious that many (most?) Sony owners are fine with Sony's ergonomics. Good for them! There are also many who use Sony only grudgingly and/or have sold it, and hope their pet peeves will be addressed in the new Nikon. We will see.

Duff photographer

... and if you demand that your camera say Nikon on it then you’ll have something to organically hang your hat on.
Well, Nikon name or not, some of us will demand that our legacy Nikon F mount lenses will fit the camera...

...and work, thereby saving us a bunch of money by not having to contemplate changing systems or buying new lenses to fit.

;)

Duff

iiiNelson

Well, Nikon name or not, some of us will demand that our legacy Nikon F mount lenses will fit the camera...

...and work, thereby saving us a bunch of money by not having to contemplate changing systems or buying new lenses to fit.

;)

Duff
Judging from native Sony A-mount adapters the possibility that Nikon lenses would work fine with this camera are high but comparing the best Sony FE lenses to the best of the Sony A mount lenses it’s generally worth upgrading to native options as they’re designed for the host body.

Godfrey

...After shooting with APS-C format with a few camera models, I certainly think that FF has a huge advantage in DOF, resolution and printing size. ...
Resolution is resolution: If a sensor produces 4000x6000 pixel output without interpolation, the sensor's dimensions don't matter. And if the resolution is the same, printing dimensions are the same.

What is an 'advantage' when it comes to DoF? For some an advantage might be more DoF at a given FoV and lens opening, for others the opposite. There's no hard and fast rule for what constitutes an advantage without the context of use and intent.

Remember that one of the highly lauded advantages of the miniature 35mm film format was smaller, faster lenses with much greater DoF in a hand-holdable package that was light and portable, in the context of that time. ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If the lens mount is as massive as it looks, and is indeed indicated by the rumours, Nikon might be looking at competing in all classes, including MF (not necessarily with an MF sensor, but possibly with near telecentric high-end lenses).

That would be a very interesting option, particularly if they also make small cameras with the same mount. The question then is what Canon will do, since they already have a 47 mm mirrorless mount.

Very exciting times. I'll probably buy into this late next year.

tcdeveau

Nikon rumors is now reporting announcement date of Aug 23rd

They clarified their previous intel as teaser date of July 23rd and announcement date of Aug 23rd

:watch::watch::watch:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

If this is the real deal, it's very interesting. It reminds me of the asymetric shape of the Olympus E-1, a camera that it was easy to fall in love with.
I new I had seen something similar before; Nikon's first digital camera, the QV-1000C, launched in 1988, so it's a 40 year anniversary. That's retro with a twist!

http://www.nikonweb.com/qv1000c/

Some of Sony's early Mavica models also had a similar design, but had a rounded "port" side, and of course the legendary Olympus E-10/20:

Frankly

Resolution is resolution: If a sensor produces 4000x6000 pixel output without interpolation, the sensor's dimensions don't matter. And if the resolution is the same, printing dimensions are the same.

What is an 'advantage' when it comes to DoF? For some an advantage might be more DoF at a given FoV and lens opening, for others the opposite. There's no hard and fast rule for what constitutes an advantage without the context of use and intent.

Remember that one of the highly lauded advantages of the miniature 35mm film format was smaller, faster lenses with much greater DoF in a hand-holdable package that was light and portable, in the context of that time. ...
Everything else being equal the larger sensor will have an advantage in dynamic range and higher ISO abilities.

To me the interesting thing is they are leading with the FX launch rather than the DX. Personally I’d like a more compact and less expensive DX to compliment my current FX DSLRs. I'd be more inclined to drop $1500 on a nice quality DX with 35/2 prime than I would to dilute/switch my D8xx kit.

Knowing Nikon, I bet a FX Nikon mirrorless with a simple prime or kit zoom will fall in the mid-$3K range. Obviously they want a higher margin product to start with and then they'll itinerate it down to lower price points over time.

Betcha the marketing geniuses will start with a zoom and forget the pancake primes, typical Nikon thinking.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Everything else being equal the larger sensor will have an advantage in dynamic range and higher ISO abilities.

Very true but not what I was responding to. :)

Frankly, however, with today’s sensor technology, the differences have become small.

Last edited:

jdphoto

"A digital sensor with a larger surface area provides the opportunity to include more pixels. Assuming the pixels are the same size, having a digital sensor that is 40% larger, reads that there can be 40% more pixels. That means higher resolution for your images, which in turn means more detail and the ability to make them larger."-DPS. Print size is specifically what I'm referring to when talking about resolution, but that also has a lot to do with size and viewing distance from the print. In addition to better low light, Dynamic Range and less DOF, You also get less diffraction and no crop factor. It's all good cause Nikon is using a FF sensor in their new mirrorless camera. If they do this right, which I think they will, then fast lenses, high FPS, low base ISO, and weather resistance will be featured prominently.

Godfrey

"A digital sensor with a larger surface area provides the opportunity to include more pixels. Assuming the pixels are the same size, having a digital sensor that is 40% larger, reads that there can be 40% more pixels. That means higher resolution for your images, which in turn means more detail and the ability to make them larger."-DPS. Print size is specifically what I'm referring to when talking about resolution, but that also has a lot to do with size and viewing distance from the print. In addition to better low light, Dynamic Range and less DOF, You also get less diffraction and no crop factor. It's all good cause Nikon is using a FF sensor in their new mirrorless camera. If they do this right, which I think they will, then fast lenses, high FPS, low base ISO, and weather resistance will be featured prominently.
Lovely, a nice mashup of a bit of marketing speak. Good luck to you, JD.

Godfrey

Press release from today:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-n...e-a-New-Dimension-in-Optical-Performance.html

Doesn't really contain any info we didn't already suspect, but it does confirm: FX-format, new lens mount, F-mount adapter
Since I used to write press releases once upon a time, I always like to read them with an eye to eliding the marketing speak that is wriggled into them. This one says, to me:

MELVILLE, NY – Nikon Inc. announces the development of a next-generation full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses.

The new mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses that are in development will [have] a new [lens] mount. Reliability and performance are [hoped to be similar to] Nikon Digital-SLRs. Feedback from professional [users is being used to] contribute to the development of this system. An F-Mount adapter is being developed that will enable the use of a wide variety of F-Mount NIKKOR lenses with the new camera.

Content relating to this product is available for viewing at the following URL: Nikon Mirrorless is Coming. Please stay tuned for more information.

Details, including the release date and suggested retail prices, will be shared at a later date.

So, per the bolded items, five pieces of information:

• Full-Frame mirrorless camera
  • New lens mount, thus new lenses
  • F-mount adapter
  • Where to find additional information
  • Details available in the future

That's not bad. It's pretty rich info for a pre-announcement press release! :D

G