The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The camera looks more like form follows function - which can be good but usually leads not always to the nicest form - as is the case with that new Nikon body IMHO. But tastes obviously differ.

Anyway I am very interested in this camera if it comes with all the expected and rumoured goodies, as it gives a new FF mirrorless offering in addition to Sony (and also Canon) that will most probably fit my muscle memory better as any other brand.

Some more weeks left till we know :cool:

PeterA

Hi,

Un less the X2D arrives and persuades you to keep the system, until you can upgrade (death by GAS ).

Best regards,
The only thing that really bugs me about the XID is the leaf shutter limit of 1/2000th. I can and do use M lenses and Zeiss lenses on it via adaptor but electronic shutter has its limitations...
The coming 100 megapixel version - not for me in an XID because (for me) I use it as a snap shooter and even 50 is pushing it when combined with limited shutter speeds - 100 megapixels hand held - fogedaboudit!! :ROTFL:

Hence my interest in a 50 megapixel alternative with focal plane shutter - and hopefully in camera stabilisation rather than lens. Oh yeah I'm sure Nikon will include a really fancy feature called a cable release function!

Cheers
Pete

algrove

Perhaps if they come out with 2 models, one model could beat Sony with a new A7s-type of high ISO body.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Would be great if the body could be upgraded as better EVF technology becomes available .
This is almost impossible to do as a newer and much advanced EVF tech always means also much faster processing speed - usually a functionality sitting somewhere on the main board .....

iiiNelson

This is almost impossible to do as a newer and much advanced EVF tech always means also much faster processing speed - usually a functionality sitting somewhere on the main board .....
Not impossible. It would require the camera to be somewhat modular in design (which I don’t think it would be) in a sense similar to how the Ricoh GXR was (in concept anyway). It can be done but generally consumers don’t like to buy a lot of accessories for electronics when it’s an option.

pegelli

Video by Kevin Raber (Luminous Landscape) on what Nikon and the other mirrorless manufacturers are doing

I agree with him on his basic message: No mirrorless manufacturer will be sitting on their hands now that Nikon is stepping into the ring, exciting times and very good for all consumers :)
Btw, I watched the video again and only now the message on "using one of these see through mirrors" in the adaptor for heritage glass sunk in. Obviously it's a speculation, but if true I wonder how the Sony/SLT bashboys (who were quite numerous on the canikon forums) are going to react to that :lecture:

V

Vivek

The leaked pictures show an ugly camera. I guess it does not matter to the fans along with the price tag.

iiiNelson

Btw, I watched the video again and only now the message on "using one of these see through mirrors" in the adaptor for heritage glass sunk in. Obviously it's a speculation, but if true I wonder how the Sony/SLT bashboys (who were quite numerous on the canikon forums) are going to react to that :lecture:
IF true I’m sure they will find a way to make it different/better in their minds if for no other reason than the adapter doesn’t say Sony on it but I digress... speculation about this camera is causing me to lose more interest in it. I hope it’s a good one but I generally don’t believe it’ll be as capable as cameras from Sony or Fuji out the gate... again I’d be happy to be proven wrong so that everyone pushe to top one another but I have higher expectations (and “fear” if you will) with the oncoming the camera from Canon outside the camera having a vest in class sensor.

V

Vivek

I think it is another knob and not a screw. Diopter adjustment knob.

On that first leaked frontal image, the tiny screw to the side the the EVF reminded me of the removable EVF on the Fuji GFX

Darin Marcus

Hmm, I found the last two teaser videos for the new mirrorless quite underwhelming.

I watched again the Df videos and I still like them - they're about the photographer. To me, the ones for the new mirrorless are more about Nikon than about the photographer (and how the new mirrorless would benefit the photographer).

iiiNelson

Hmm, I found the last two teaser videos for the new mirrorless quite underwhelming.

I watched again the Df videos and I still like them - they're about the photographer. To me, the ones for the new mirrorless are more about Nikon than about the photographer (and how the new mirrorless would benefit the photographer).
I still stand by that I don’t know if a delayed/timed leak of info works in Nikon’s best favor. They’re already making a late entrance... just play the hand and put the cards on the table. The only reason I can imagine that they aren’t is that either they’re trying to slow sales prior to Photokina in the immediate future, they’re expecting to have a “rolling launch” where the camera will be available in limited supply shortly after the announcement, or my cynical take is that maybe the camera may be just another Mirrorless camera with a handful of desired features that no one else is doing in their current package but could be added relatively easily with a little time/design focus.

In any case it looks like Canon May announce something the first week of September as well in what I expect to be a Mirrorless 5Dmk4 (which is a good thing in a sense) and maybe an update to the 5Ds sensor for the high resolution folks.

Frankly

I would have bought a D850 by now but they tease this so I'm waiting. While I appreciate not being shocked at having a new improved model coming out the day after you buy something, it seems like a marketing mistake.

k-hawinkler

So far I have not seen any info by Canikon that would challenge the performance of my Sony A9. I even get to shoot manual only Nikon lenses with AF. :thumbs: