The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-1 Mark II

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Today the OM-1 Mark II was introduced. A really remarkable camera!

View this excellent video from Thomas Eisl to really understand the many improvements to the OM-1 Mark I

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Another glowing review of the OM-1 Mark II

This camera and also this newly introduced 150-600 could make me get back into m43 again (y)(y)(y)

raist3d

None of these “first day on announcement” videos are really reviews, but part of the marketing effort. I would wait for indepdendent reviews to confirm, while only use these as a showcase of New features, but claims need to be tested independently (Like the AF). There’s no way these people got the camera from OM Systems early without some sort of agreement.

That’s why it’s all roses. Remember when the OM-1 came out there was a floating claim of 2 stops better ISO and 1 stop better DR than previous… except that didn’t happen.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
None of these “first day on announcement” videos are really reviews, but part of the marketing effort. I would wait for indepdendent reviews to confirm, while only use these as a showcase of New features, but claims need to be tested independently (Like the AF). There’s no way these people got the camera from OM Systems early without some sort of agreement.

That’s why it’s all roses. Remember when the OM-1 came out there was a floating claim of 2 stops better ISO and 1 stop better DR than previous… except that didn’t happen.
With the exception of Thomas Eisl, who is by no means biased!

raist3d

With the exception of Thomas Eisl, who is by no means biased!
What I said includes him too. Yes, he is also biased, He likes the brand a bit much and got the camera on the marketing announce. The only way a YouTuber gets that is by some agreement with OM Systems.

Showcasing features is nice but I myself rather wait for real independent reviews. If the AF is really improved and fixed in situations where the OM1 did actually worse than some of the EM1’s, great. The OM-1 was almost there.

Just how many times does the influencer/ambassador pattern needs to repeat over and over to click in? ;-). All brands do this. I point again to the famous OM-1 “2 stops better ISo/1 stop better DR.”

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What I said includes him too. Yes, he is also biased, He likes the brand a bit much and got the camera on the marketing announce. The only way a YouTuber gets that is by some agreement with OM Systems.

Showcasing features is nice but I myself rather wait for real independent reviews. If the AF is really improved and fixed in situations where the OM1 did actually worse than some of the EM1’s, great. The OM-1 was almost there.

Just how many times does the influencer/ambassador pattern needs to repeat over and over to click in? ;-). All brands do this. I point again to the famous OM-1 “2 stops better ISo/1 stop better DR.”
Well, you know it obviously better!

In my eyes it is a great camera and I applaud OM System for this bold move to not implement a questionable newer sensor but improve on all fronts an existing product.

How about seeing everything a bit more optimistic in the future, would that be not a great new start also for you?

raist3d

Well, you know it obviously better!

In my eyes it is a great camera and I applaud OM System for this bold move to not implement a questionable newer sensor but improve on all fronts an existing product.

How about seeing everything a bit more optimistic in the future, would that be not a great new start also for you?
It’s not about optimism or pessimism but realism. I mean, how does it hurt to wait for independent non sponsored reviews to confirm claims? How many times we have to learn that first day announce videos have an inherent conflict of interest? (All brands). Or do you think it’s really better to go “drug high” taking at face value a marketing effort from a company? I am not saying it’s a bad camera. And no, I don’t need any “new great starts” - I am fine where I am, thanks :)

I am not claiming I know it obviously better- that doesn’t have to do with anything I said, nor does that address my point.

==================
But if you want to ask me about that specifically (if it’s a good camera) - assuming the AF is indeed improved and not have the regressions they had with the OM-1 from EM1.3, it’s probably a pretty good camera for the target market of outdoor/nature/birdlife photography.

My main concerns are-
- are the previous AF issues fixed for real (hence I want to see confirmation from independent reviews, not marketing videos)
-Do OM-1 owners get a firmware update on the features they can add that don’t require extra ram, like general AF improvements in particular generic AF -tracking?
- Is OM systems going to pay any attention at all to their other cameras? Is the Pen line dead pretty much? How about a modern nice OM-5 (the rumored in the past OM-3), smaller and with more modern tech?

Unless the outdoor/wildlife/birdling niche is big enough for them, I think they are heading to be a new Pentax (nothing wrong with that, you at least get customer repairs), or meet a 4/3rds fate.

But again, if you are doing wildlife/outdoor/etc, if the assumptions are correct, sure looks good.

Anyway, this is my last post on this thread, thanks for reading.

- Ricardo

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ricardo,

fine you agree that overall and for the specific area the OM-1 is intended (IMO mainly wildlife and some landscape) this camera seems to be a great thing!

Thomas Eisl is an independent photographer from Vienna and I know he is NOT sponsored by Olympus aka OM System. He has a pretty deep knowledge about photography in general and I trust his opinion. And finally I could not care less about a bit more or less DR etc. as for my purpose the IQ and DR from the Olympus EM1.3 was already more than great. No doubt for me that the OM-1 and especially the OM-1 MII are better here for sure, so more than enough for me.

I doubt that OM System will offer the improvements of the OM-1 MII as FW upgrade for the OM-1, some are not possible (larger buffer) and the rest I don't care as I abandoned m43 some years ago to get FF. But I agree that for existing OM-1 users this might be a problem.

BUT I am thinking of getting back into m43 especially for having a relatively low cost but capable wildlife system and for that this new OM-1 MII seems just fine. My dream combo would be the OM-1 MII with the 150-400 PRO and the 8-25 PRO for some additional landscape. If I cannot get enough funds together for that really expensive 150-400 there would be an alternative in the newly introduced 150-600 (Sigma construction) and I could call it a day. On top of that a separate m43 kit based on the OM-1 MII would allow me als to bring a small but more than capable camera for occasional vacation (8-25 or 12-45), if I want to travel really light.

So these are my motivations and the reason why I am so glad about the introduction of the OM-1 MII. Currently I would not need more.

raist3d

Here's something to think about that I really haven't seen anyone mention, and why I keep banging on making a smaller pro camera:

- The OM1 Mark II in the USA is just $100 USD cheaper than the Fuji X-H2s.

The fuji does video better
The Fuji also has a stacked sensor with even faster readout (1/180 vs 1/120)
The Fuji has regular shot with higher reoslution
The Fuji has 14-bit RAWs in regular shots including continuous shooting (the OM-1 MKII only on HHHR or tripod HR, which has its own constraints)
The Fuji is virtually the same body size (!)
The Fuji also has AI AF for animals, humans, etc.
The Fuji has AI-driven AutoWhite balance to choose automatically between ambient vs pure white balance (this really applies for jpegs)

The so called computational advantages of the OM-1 MKII are things that m43rds needs more than bigger sensor cameras. The real win I see for outdoors of the OM-1 is the built in ND filter, but that seems pretty much it. I sure don't see people shooting birds with an ND filter.

Now picture if a body like an EM1MarkII was done priced at $1800-$2200 USD, with as much as they could pack in it. Re-do the small primes in weather sealed form. It would be pricey but it would be *unique*.

I honestly have no idea if OM Systems will do at this point a real decent Pen successor or a small pro OM (soon, not in 3-5 years).

Please note I am saying this from a point of view of new users/market competition, not those invested in m43rds with a lot of lenses, which may rather not switch.

- Ricardo

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Here's something to think about that I really haven't seen anyone mention, and why I keep banging on making a smaller pro camera:

- The OM1 Mark II in the USA is just $100 USD cheaper than the Fuji X-H2s.

The fuji does video better
The Fuji also has a stacked sensor with even faster readout (1/180 vs 1/120)
The Fuji has regular shot with higher reoslution
The Fuji has 14-bit RAWs in regular shots including continuous shooting (the OM-1 MKII only on HHHR or tripod HR, which has its own constraints)
The Fuji is virtually the same body size (!)
The Fuji also has AI AF for animals, humans, etc.
The Fuji has AI-driven AutoWhite balance to choose automatically between ambient vs pure white balance (this really applies for jpegs)

The so called computational advantages of the OM-1 MKII are things that m43rds needs more than bigger sensor cameras. The real win I see for outdoors of the OM-1 is the built in ND filter, but that seems pretty much it. I sure don't see people shooting birds with an ND filter.

Now picture if a body like an EM1MarkII was done priced at $1800-$2200 USD, with as much as they could pack in it. Re-do the small primes in weather sealed form. It would be pricey but it would be *unique*.

I honestly have no idea if OM Systems will do at this point a real decent Pen successor or a small pro OM (soon, not in 3-5 years).

Please note I am saying this from a point of view of new users/market competition, not those invested in m43rds with a lot of lenses, which may rather not switch.

- Ricardo
I do agree to most of what you are saying.

But it gets even worse if you start comparing the OM-1 MarkII to FF cameras like the Lumix S5 Mark II which already is same price or cheaper than the G9 MarkII and this one is definitely a bargain against the OM-1 MII