The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

iiiNelson

Why? :facesmack:
Probably to not alienate loyal customers and to be able to sell this camera and their other ones to people I suppose. I guess if it’s a high enough megapixel camera it makes SOME sense but I imagine most would just buy a backup Micro 4/3 camera or use the ones they own.

V

Vivek

The glass stack on a m43 sensor is nearly 5mm thick. This has to be implemented on the Ff sensor as well so that the old m43 lenses will not give a super crunchy look.

This alone will rule out a Panasonic FF camera for me. I sincerely hope they do not take this suicidal route.

k-hawinkler

I am hoping I can get an A9 at a price I want, very soon. ;)
I wish you good luck Vivek and am sure you will be enjoying the A9 as much as I do. You have a very different style of photography from mine. No hummingbirds in Holland. :facesmack:

For what I do a battery grip comes in handy. It never comes off my A9 together with the peak design clutch.

I also use a

JC Oval Shape Eyecup Eyepiece Eyeshade Viewfinder for Sony Alpha A7 A7 II/A7 III/A7R/A7R II/A7R III/A7S/A7S II/A58/A99II, Replaces Sony FDA-EP16 Eyecup.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My guess is that many will be disappointed with the new Panasonic. Panasonic will probably aim at satisfying videographers plus that little group of fanboys (like myself :LOL: ) who like the Panasonic way of doing things. I'd even be surprised if the camera has IBIS (look at the GH5s), but it would be nice if I were wrong.

The competition will be cameras like the yet not released Canon EOS Rc and Sony A7/9s.

Or maybe there will be two cameras with identical bodies, one video monster with 6K, XLR integrated and all the goodies that cinematographers need, and another with IBIS, and all kinds of stacking and hi-res modes. In any case, I firmly believe that this will be a camera unlike any other.

iiiNelson

My guess is that many will be disappointed with the new Panasonic. Panasonic will probably aim at satisfying videographers plus that little group of fanboys (like myself :LOL: ) who like the Panasonic way of doing things. I'd even be surprised if the camera has IBIS (look at the GH5s), but it would be nice if I were wrong.

The competition will be cameras like the yet not released Canon EOS Rc and Sony A7/9s.

Or maybe there will be two cameras with identical bodies, one video monster with 6K, XLR integrated and all the goodies that cinematographers need, and another with IBIS, and all kinds of stacking and hi-res modes. In any case, I firmly believe that this will be a camera unlike any other.
I’m cautiously optimistic for what Panasonic will present. I’ve always liked their Micro 4/3 cameras (specifically the G, GH, GF/GX lines) butdidnt love having the Micro 4/3 sensor size for everything wilhich is what warranted my Leica purchases.

iiiNelson

Well we’re roughly 2 weeks from the announcement which means more detailed info should be “leaking” in the next 7-10 days.

I’m most curious about the mount they will choose and if it’ll be something proven or something all new. I think a lot of people were really curious and excitied when they adopted the EOS EF Mount for the EVA1... I wonder if they could adopt the EOS RF or Sony FE Mount for this camera. Panasonic did say that they wouldn’t adopt the L-Mount but they didn’t rule out other possibilities of existing mounts if I read correctly. The thing that got me thinking is that Canon has positioned the EOS R as a “prosumer model” but outside the 35/1.8 Macro they’ve only introduced pro lenses in their lineup which aren’t exactly inexpensive to match a prosumer body. It’s not all adding up for me yet but I don’t think the lens lineup fully matches the capability of the body... so maybe Panasonic jointly shares a FF mount with an existing camera line to be used for future FF Mirrorless and Digital Cinema Cameras.

Of course I could be waaaaay off and it ends up being something completely all new from scratch.

I’m cautiously optimistic for what Panasonic will present. I’ve always liked their Micro 4/3 cameras (specifically the G, GH, GF/GX lines) butdidnt love having the Micro 4/3 sensor size for everything wilhich is what warranted my Leica purchases.
Given all the other cameras on the market, I'm not sure how the Panasonic having a m34 sensor warrants the purchase of a Leica.

iiiNelson

Given all the other cameras on the market, I'm not sure how the Panasonic having a m34 sensor warrants the purchase of a Leica.
Well if you rewind to 9 years ago Leica was the only FF “Mirrorless” option at the time... Sony A7/R came 4 years later...

Well if you rewind to 9 years ago Leica was the only FF “Mirrorless” option at the time... Sony A7/R came 4 years later...
That fine, except that a Leica M is not a "mirrorless" camera in any sense of the word. It is a rangefinder. It uses an optical viewfinder. Even the rangefinder mechanism uses a mirror. Leica's FF mirrorless camera, the SL, was introduced in 2015, two years after the Sony. Just say you wanted a Leica and bought it. There is no need for rationalization.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

That fine, except that a Leica M is not a "mirrorless" camera in any sense of the word. It is a rangefinder. It uses an optical viewfinder. Even the rangefinder mechanism uses a mirror. Leica's FF mirrorless camera, the SL, was introduced in 2015, two years after the Sony. Just say you wanted a Leica and bought it. There is no need for rationalization.
Yeah hence the quotations and it would be more accurate to say I wanted a full frame that wasn’t a DSLR and the ONLY option was Leica at the time.

rayyan

Strange, I never noticed mirror slap on my Ms!

And would you believe it, I never notice it now on my Fujis either.

Weird. Maybe they carve these gizmos out of stone n call 'em ' mirrorless '. No wonder we call some ' bricks '.