The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645Z trouble - advice sought

Ed Hurst

As promised, here's an update...

I have my camera back. Yet to do full testing in order to confirm for certain that the quality/alignment is perfect right into the corners etc..
But, on initial indications, the camera is functioning as normal. The shutter count has been reset (it's showing only 15 frames), which I guess makes sense in view of the new shutter that's been fitted. In fact, the manufacture date that shows up in metadata has also been reset (perhaps because of the new sensor in the camera), which is a little surprising...

Abstraction

Thanks! In terms of the external aesthetics, it will never be as good as new. My gear gets "used", if you know what I mean :p
As it should be. As my Scottish bodybuilder friend used to say: "If the bar ain't bendin', yer just pretendin'"

Ed Hurst

I can now confirm that the camera seems to be functioning very well. Take a peek at the "Fun with MF Images" (page 581, currently the latest page) and you will see a shot taken of a Russian Orthodox Church in Sydney. This was my first serious shot with the camera since repairs were completed. Results are very good, in fact maybe even better than I remember them ever having been on my camera originally (that may just be an erroneous and subjective impression though); certainly the operation is very smooth (the sound made by the camera when shooting is more muted somehow).

I am hopeful that this will make the camera last for quite some years to come. We'll see!

Thanks to everyone for their support and empathy through this story :)

Abstraction

I'm glad to hear that things have worked out. It's certainly very stressful when the camera is out for repairs for a long time, not to mention when they break the camera they're supposed to fix. Now that everything is working well, I look forward to seeing more of your great work!