The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase ONE 28mm lens f4.5

stngoldberg

I bought this lens, at a very low price, some time ago from a reliable member who wasn't using it and who claimed it was sharp at f12. There was some additional discussion on the thread concerning sharpness. This image was captured at f12 on a tripod and does appear quite sharp edge to edge.
If anyone has experience with this lens, I would appreciate your input.

Stanley28mm phase one lens at f12.jpg

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Stanley,
I bought a 28/4,5 like 2 months ago for 1000 Euro. I've shot a few times with it on my P1 DF and IQ140 (crop sensor) and I have found it to be very sharp all over ...
Here's one of the pics I shot with it ...
I'm looking forward to better weather to go out with this lens more often !

Stay safe,
Rafael

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It’s the weakest Phase One lens.

Whether it’s performance is acceptable to you depends on the resolution of your back, the sensor size of your back, the aperture you’re shooting at, and your personal level of scrutiny, and whether you have any subject matter of importance in the corner.

If you’re using a 40mp crop sensor back at f/12 and judge based on a 20” print you’ll be happy. If you’re using a 150mp full-frame-645 back at f/7 and judge based on a 80” print you’ll be most unhappy. And of course there’s a large spectrum in between.

Of these factors the largest is undoubtedly sensor size. Performance drops off markedly at the corners of the image circle. A small (crop) sensor that is 44x33mm in size crops out that part.

Digitalcameraman

Stanley,

Our experience with this lens for over decades is that is can be sharp on the edges if you shoot it stopped down enough. F12 should be fine but you can do a refraction test to see if stopping it down too much will loose sharpness. I suggest shooting one at 8 and start bracketing on 1/3 or 1/2 stops, then compare all images in Capture One or PS at 100% or 200% to see if you detect any loss of sharpness.

The complaints we have seen is that is is not as sharp as the 35mm BR, well that is true. And the edges can tend to get soft as you enlarge the image when making big enlargements from the files. It is what it is because its the only one in that category. Many would go to a tech cameras where they could use a Rodenstock or Schneider lens to get better edge sharpness. Most of these folks were making big gallery prints.

Shoot ti tat F5.6 and you see the softer edges people may be eluding to in your comments. There was also some techniques people were using to sharpen the out 30% of the image more that the entire image in order to sharpen up the edges. We all know how that sharpening works on our files, it is always best to get it sharp thru the lens.

Also the IQ140 being a cropped sensor will be more forgiving since it not using the entire lens but the sweet spot. We usually got pretty good results from the crop sensors with both the Phase One/Mamiya 28mm and also the Schneider 28mm. IQ4 150 MP back like you are using does tend to be more demanding with all lenses so keep that in mind as well.

I bought this lens, at a very low price, some time ago from a reliable member who wasn't using it and who claimed it was sharp at f12. There was some additional discussion on the thread concerning sharpness. This image was captured at f12 on a tripod and does appear quite sharp edge to edge.
If anyone has experience with this lens, I would appreciate your input.

StanleyView attachment 211892