The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PO XF/IQ3 50 MP Shoot handheld & Vibration

spassig

Hi

Normally I use system for landscape on tripod.
How is your workflow if you shoot handheld without a flash?
When using Single Shot, I notice a strong mirror impact combined with vibration after the trigger. The new firmware of the XF has minimized the shutter release delay. But this does not improve the vibration behavior.
Do you also use Vibration Delay and Vibration Detect with and without flash?

Jochen

Paul2660

You can try vibration delay but hand held I don’t think it will ever fire due to the fact you will be moving ever so slightly.

what I would try is try mirror up first, wait a few seconds then fire the shutter. The mirror flapping issue has always been there with Mamiya/Phase one cameras. I realize this is problematic if you are shooting action or a series of images in sequence. You can set on of the function buttons to mirror up so you don’t have to take you eye from the viewfinder.

I have played around a lot with the seismic sensor on the XF which is what is used for vibration reduction. If you hand hold the camera with VIB REDUCTION set to infinity and hand hold the camera odds are it will never fire as it will always pick up motion. You can try setting it to 2 or 3 seconds and then it will wait and fire after those set times. But I prefer the mirror up wait a few seconds then fire.

Personally I rarely try to use the XF hand Held just too much chance for motion blur. Sadly Phase One has no vibration reduction in their lenses as most of all other camera companies besides Hasselblad have. And if P1 ever did design such glass the cost would be just pure crazy.

Paul C

Steve Hendrix

@Paul C
Thanks for feedback.
Do You think that shooting with flash and hand don't have problems?

Jochen

Shutter speed is king with a camera like this. Maximizing the shutter speed to the degree that you're able to will positively impact perceptual sharpness. In addition to Paul's recommendation, you might also try shooting while using live view, using the back of the screen to focus rather than the prism finder. But I myself have had varying results with this method with a variety of cameras, the larger the camera, the more varied my results. My iPhone, not so bad. With the IQ/XF, I generally find that with faster shutter speeds, I have not really seen much of an issue, but hand holding often involves moderate shutter speeds, which can be more problematic.

Steve Hendrix/CI

med

Shutter speed is king with a camera like this. Maximizing the shutter speed to the degree that you're able to will positively impact perceptual sharpness. In addition to Paul's recommendation, you might also try shooting while using live view, using the back of the screen to focus rather than the prism finder. But I myself have had varying results with this method with a variety of cameras, the larger the camera, the more varied my results. My iPhone, not so bad. With the IQ/XF, I generally find that with faster shutter speeds, I have not really seen much of an issue, but hand holding often involves moderate shutter speeds, which can be more problematic.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Unfortunately with the IQx50 backs shooting from live view is not really possible, unless I missed something while I had the back. As I recall, you had to exit live view prior to initiating a capture. Although I may just be thinking of usage with tech cameras, as that is the only time I used live view with my IQ250.

I would say that when shooting with flash, the mirror vibration is not anything to worry about. The mirror vibration will only affect your ambient exposure, and not the flash exposure.