The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pretty interesting Z lens review...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here: https://photographylife.com/best-le...6nslB6M7T0FNVVvzcdrh44iyIW4Nj40vCbIo1igOSAIIk

What's really interesting about those MTF's to me is how similar ANY of the zoom lenses are at f5.6 - f8. Of course the primes are amazing across the aperture spectrum and the fast zooms are impressive wide open to f4.

Speaking for myself, the only zoom I'd regularly use f2.8 on is the 70-200 -- which I do own and for that reason. I sold my 24-70/2.8 because for me the f4 lens delivered equal performance *at the apertures I normally use that lens at* and in a smaller, lighter package -- and 70mm at f2.8 never quite replaced a faster 85mm, at least for me... So now if I want faster in those ranges I have AF primes @ 40, 58 and 85mm that work very well already. I generally only shoot wider than 28mm at f5.6 or smaller for the extended DoF, so here the 14-30 suits me again for its smaller footprint in my bag. If I shot astro --which I do not-- I *might* consider the 14-24/2.8 in its place, but the 20/1.8 is so spectacular it would probably be my preference...

Admittedly, I did just order a 24-200 during the sale and am curious to see if it will suffice as a single "do-it-all" travel lens. The 24mm performance shown here is encouraging, however I remain pretty skeptical about f6.3 at the long end so my plan is to test it carefully the day it arrives --- and it may get returned that same day LOL. But either way, I will report...

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Here: https://photographylife.com/best-le...6nslB6M7T0FNVVvzcdrh44iyIW4Nj40vCbIo1igOSAIIk

What's really interesting about those MTF's to me is how similar ANY of the zoom lenses are at f5.6 - f8. Of course the primes are amazing across the aperture spectrum and the fast zooms are impressive wide open to f4.

Speaking for myself, the only zoom I'd regularly use f2.8 on is the 70-200 -- which I do own and for that reason. I sold my 24-70/2.8 because for me the f4 lens delivered equal performance *at the apertures I normally use that lens at* and in a smaller, lighter package -- and 70mm at f2.8 never quite replaced a faster 85mm, at least for me... So now if I want faster in those ranges I have AF primes @ 40, 58 and 85mm that work very well already. I generally only shoot wider than 28mm at f5.6 or smaller for the extended DoF, so here the 14-30 suits me again for its smaller footprint in my bag. If I shot astro --which I do not-- I *might* consider the 14-24/2.8 in its place, but the 20/1.8 is so spectacular it would probably be my preference...

Admittedly, I did just order a 24-200 during the sale and am curious to see if it will suffice as a single "do-it-all" travel lens. The 24mm performance shown here is encouraging, however I remain pretty skeptical about f6.3 at the long end so my plan is to test it carefully the day it arrives --- and it may get returned that same day LOL. But either way, I will report...
Only can say that I own and use the 2.8/24-70 and 2,8/70.200 S lenses and both are stellar. Knowing most of the prior F mount high end zooms over the past 20 years or so, The IQ of the S glass just blows me away.

I recently did a shoot of paintings and sculptures for a friend of his collection and I did it all with the Z7 and 2.8/24-70S. May mistake was that I stared doing that on tripod, the mistake was that it took far too long to get the camera and object aligned properly. As soon as I switched to handheld and even higher ISOs (some even around 10000) the whole process speeded up enormously and IQ was stellar. So big KUDOS to the 2.8/24-70S and the Z7. Perfect all round combo!!!!

The Z lenses and the Z mount are the main reason I bought into Nikon mirrorless and why I will most likely stay in that system.

Currently thinking of adding a 1.2/50 S and a bit later as soon as available the 100-400 S, before finally adding the 2.8/12-24 S. I forgot the TC2x is on order.

I am pretty happy with the Z Mount !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!