The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Print Fotos Typ of Paper Recommendation

spassig

Hello
Is there a guide or recommendation on which photo paper I should print colored or black and white photos on? Motives? I would like to use papers from Hahnemühle in the future. I'm currently using an Epson SC P800.
What papers do you use?
Edit: Motifs include landscape, portrait and architecture.

Jochen (Germany)

Last edited:

daz7

It really is a personal preference matter.
I would advise you to get a sample pack from a couple of producers and pick the ones you like the most.
My favourite paper companies are Canson and Hahnemuhle. You can get their sample packs online

spassig

It really is a personal preference matter.
I would advise you to get a sample pack from a couple of producers and pick the ones you like the most.
My favourite paper companies are Canson and Hahnemuhle. You can get their sample packs online
Thanks
It'is clear for me it's personal ;-)
Today I ordered a Pattern book from Hahnemühle with all papers.
I thougt there is a „guideline" for C or BW and landscape, portrait and architecture.

Jochen

scho

If you intend to display your prints then think about how they will be displayed and stored as well.

dchew

I am addicted to the Hahnemühle Fine Art Baryta.
I really like that paper too. I just wish the rolls were longer than 39 feet. I’ve settled on that and Canson Baryta Prestige II. It’s thicker, a little whiter but still no OBA’s, good gamut and 50 ft rolls. I like the texture better than the other Canson barytas now that they’ve all been updated.
B&W get the Hahnemühle, color the Canson.
Dave

spassig

If you intend to display your prints then think about how they will be displayed and stored as well.
Thank you for your answer.

I would like to hang pictures at my home and in galleries and exhibitions.
Later I keep them in archive box.
I'm not sure what your answer has to do with my question.

Would you like to explain it?

Jochen

scho

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to hang pictures at my home and in galleries and exhibitions.
Later I keep them in archive box.
I'm not sure what your answer has to do with my question.

Would you like to explain it?

Jochen
If you are a prolific printer then eventually you will run out of wall space to display your work (both at home and elsewhere). Your choice of print media will also to some extent dictate how prints will be prepared for display or stored. Paper prints most likely will be handled traditionally by matting, glazing, and framing. Canvas usually is stretched on simple wood frames. In either case, you will be accumulating a lot of work that will require space for display and storage. Just a cautionary note from one who has been down this path.

If you like Hahnemühle you might want to try their photo rag metallic. A heavy fiber base paper with a metallic coating that is particularly nice for B&W prints.

Carl

spassig

If you are a prolific printer then eventually you will run out of wall space to display your work (both at home and elsewhere).
I’m an old boy and have not enough time to print lot of photos ;-)

Your choice of print media will also to some extent dictate how prints will be prepared for display or stored.…
That’s not clear for me. There are only matt or glossy papers in color or black and white.

If you like Hahnemühle you might want to try their photo rag metallic. A heavy fiber base paper with a metallic coating that is particularly nice for B&W prints.

Carl
I have print in the past Hahnemühle Rag metallic for B&W. I will test some other papers. Today I have receive the pattern book and will study it.

Jochen

spassig

Status with Hahnemühle:

Available:
Sample book A5

Ordered:
Test packs A4
Natural Line, Matt FineArt smooth, Matt FineArt textured, Glossy FineArt.

I will now make a printout of a color picture and a black and white picture.
I hope that I will then come to a decision on which paper I would like to use in the future.
Maybe someone has an idea what other strategy I could pursue.

Jochen

dchew

That’s not clear for me. There are only matt or glossy papers in color or black and white.
There is the obvious preference of glossy, semi-gloss and matte. I think what @scho was eluding to is the impact handling / presentation has on paper choice. Some examples:
  • Framed behind glazing: The print will essentially never be handled, and the surface texture will be less evident because the print is behind glazing. In this case, most will choose the paper that presents the particular art the way the artist intended from a distance, with little or no consideration to tactile feel of the paper.
  • Framed, but exposed: Maybe a canvas wrap, or maybe just raw paper hanging in a poster frame like this: Posterhanger. In this case, the paper surface will be more evident, although you may decide to coat the surface to protect it.
  • In a box or portfolio, meant to be handled: This changes things. We often choose a paper with a better feel in the hand, like a matte paper or maybe a baryta photo-paper face with a cotton substrate that has a nice tactile experience. You might also consider scratch resistance and something heavier to resist creases, etc.
Dave

Last edited:

bensonga

I have been making inkjet prints since 2001. I have participated in (and now coordinate) print exchanges on a monthly, bi-monthly and quarterly frequency since April 2002 with participants from across the globe, so I have seen fine art prints made on many different papers. There are so many excellent papers on the market now (certainly a lot more than in the early 2000s), the difficulty is choosing which paper to best suit a particular image. I print on gloss, semi-gloss, metallic, baryta, fine art matte, and washi papers from Ilford, Epson, Canson, Moab, Red River, Arches (now part of Canson), Innova, Awagami and also...Hahnemuhle. I've probably forgotten one or two. Bottom line...from my experience, there is no one "best" manufacturer of fine art injet papers, let alone one best paper. Each of us will find papers we ultimately prefer for our photos and our own reasons.

Gary

spassig

Hello
Unfortunately, I don't have an answer in the thread

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php? Threads/print-not-like-screen.75815/

received, I'll ask here again ;-)
What could be the reason why the expression is worse than the image on the monitor?
What would I have to control?
Please give feedback. I will prepare some prints for an exhibition

Jochen

Rand47

Top three for me for satin type:
Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss
Epson Legacy Platine
Canson Platine Fibre Rag
(In some ways these papers are kissing-cousins.)

Top other papers:
Hahnemuhele Fine Art Baryta (lovely surface texture)
Hahnemuhele Photo Rag Metallic (odd, luminescent paper for “some” images a fantastic choice - not typical metallic paper)
Canson Arches 88 (VERY white paper-white, great dmax for matte paper.
Epson Legacy Fiber
Epson Legacy Etching

Good substitute for the original Ilford Gold Fibre Silk & Epson Legacy Baryta (and others all made by Scholler): Simply Elegant Gold Fibre 310 - available from ITSupplies.

I think a key here is to get to know “one paper” well. For that, I’d recommend Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss (stupid name, great paper). It’s a platine-like paper with a very good gamut on an Epson P800. Satin finish, mild but pleasant texture, nice paper-white in the neutral to very slightly warm category. One of its characteristics that I like is that in sheets it lays very flat and makes paper handling / loading easier than with other papers in this category.

Rand

bab

Epson Legacy Platine can't go wrong with this paper as a start its a number one stock if your B&W is processed correctly and your not converting a color image to gray scale losing 2/3 of the data in the file.

anyone

Epson Legacy Platine can't go wrong with this paper as a start its a number one stock if your B&W is processed correctly and your not converting a color image to gray scale losing 2/3 of the data in the file.
This comment sparked my curiousity. What do you mean with the B&W processing comment? I typically convert color images to black and white using the Photoshop channel mixer.

anwarp

This comment sparked my curiousity. What do you mean with the B&W processing comment? I typically convert color images to black and white using the Photoshop channel mixer.
I’m guessing - if you convert the image to Lab, the luminosity is only in the L channel, effectively throwing away 2/3 of the data. Since you can transform back and forth between RGB and Lab, this seems correct.