The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Print not like screen

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks @MGrayson and Robert.

I mean the four prints are more like the proof.
I will have the four prints with four different rendering intent "examined" by other photographers this evening.

Jochen
As long as your prints are like the proof, you can continue to edit while in proof mode and get the look you want there. This will be successful, (although I'm still amazed by anyone who gets good results on metallic paper.)

Matt

spassig

As long as your prints are like the proof, you can continue to edit while in proof mode and get the look you want there. This will be successful, (although I'm still amazed by anyone who gets good results on metallic paper.)

Matt
In last picture #18 I haven't use metallic. I used now FineArt Baryta 325 g/qm.
I'm learning. ;-)
I used now metallic for SW print from Oslo opera.

Jochen

spassig

I read and learned ;-)

The aim of color management is to ensure that an original that has been captured with any input device is reproduced on any output device with colors that are as similar as possible. However, color management can never deliver a 100% match, as no device covers the range of all perceptible colors.

Jochen

spassig

Hi Jochen,

4) And finally, most important : I have noticed on many occasions that printing from Capture One didn't give me good results. Most of the time, it worked, but on specific images, it didn't. So, I decided to print from Lightroom or Photoshop : their soft proof is far more reliable.
I have following question.
I thought that the printer driver was responsible for the printing result. Why can CaptureOne, Photoshop, Lightroom print different results? I have not tested this yet. I could do it from time to time.

Jochen

Edit:
You wrote that the results with Photoshop are better than with CaptureOne. Could this also be because the editing paths are different? See screenshot.
Does the rendering belong to the respective program?

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-07 um 15.55.43.png

Last edited:

tenmangu81

I read and learned ;-)

The aim of color management is to ensure that an original that has been captured with any input device is reproduced on any output device with colors that are as similar as possible. However, color management can never deliver a 100% match, as no device covers the range of all perceptible colors.

Jochen
The perfect match is not possible, as paper prints are seen by reflection, whereas images on the display are seen by transmission. Apart from that, you are right : your camera delivers files within a very, very large colour space, the best displays are Adobe RGB, and the best printers give you images restricted to their own colour space, which is usually smaller than Adobe RGB (if we discard that some colours could be outside Adobe RGB for some of them). This means that you'll never recover, on print images, the colours of the real life. This is all the charm of printed images....
But the colour management is made in such a way that your prints should look very, very similar to what is displayed on your screen, if all of your devices are calibrated.

tenmangu81

I have following question.
I thought that the printer driver was responsible for the printing result. Why can CaptureOne, Photoshop, Lightroom print different results? I have not tested this yet. I could do it from time to time.

Jochen

Edit:
You wrote that the results with Photoshop are better than with CaptureOne. Could this also be because the editing paths are different? See screenshot.
Does the rendering belong to the respective program?
I haven't any answer to your question. It is only what I observed, and I don't know why. Photoshop and Lightroom give me identical results, but, in limiting cases, Capture One gave me different results, and different from what I had on my calibrated display.

Rand47

Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Metallic is a very difficult paper to soft-proof. I don’t think any current software’s soft-proofing capability can replicate the luminance shift and color perception changes of this very specialized paper. For those of you who have not printed on this paper, don’t think “metallic paper” as you are accustomed. It is VERY different from the typical metallic papers. One of the things I’ve learned is that it’s best not to try to over-soft-proof this paper. Getting the proof preview to look like the screen representation of the image, usually results in a terrible screen-to-print match. I’ll often only do a very minor increase in contrast, and a minor lowering of the black point on my first run. The “proof preview” will look very poor, but the print will be fine.

Paper-white is actually a kind of champagne-silver color. Impossible for software to replicate in soft-proof. Colors tend to fluoresce and gain in “apparent” luminance in the print (the opposite of what one normally encounters). It is a very specialized paper, but for those images where it is a good choice, it can be stunning. I don’t think the OP’s image is a good choice for this paper.

This image looks spectacular printed on this paper:

Rand

Last edited:

spassig

@Rand47
Thanks for feedback.
„I don’t think the OP’s image is a good choice for this paper“

I agree with you.
I have now print this image on Hahnemühle Photo Rag® Baryta.
I use the four settings for rendering and see some differents.

I also print a BW on Hahnemühle Photo Rag® Metallic and think this is better.
It will take some time before I master photo editing and printing ;-)

Jochen

Edit: BW picture

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-11 um 15.49.45.png