The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Printing and Wrap Mounting large Canvas Prints

algrove

In the past some of you discussed the above subject. I was wondering what the best approach might be if I wanted to wrap mount on a 30x60 wooden frame. Thickness of wood TBD, but was looking for suggestions. I was thinking of wood thickness plus at least another inch for going around the backside of the wooden frame. Due to the size of contemplated frame size a 2" wood would be best. My problem is the image I have in mind would not look good losing any of it in the wrapping process. So how does one expand the image to work on a wrap? Thanks for answering my naive questions.

dj may

Whitewall produces a mounted canvas print, which (I think) has extra image added so one does not lose any image on the face. I have not done it, so I do not have an opinion on how good it is, however I am pleased with other Whitewall products. I do not do canvas prints.

Paul2660

You can use a 1 1/2 stretcher vs 2”. It can easily handle that sized print with internal bracing

As for the edge several options.

1. Mirrored edge. You mirror the last two inches of the image. This gives you 1 1/2 to cover bar and 1/2 to cover on back. There are a lot of feee actions that will do this. I personally don’t like it as it creates a kaleidoscope looking edge. Also unless your printer is perfect skew due to canvas can and will throw off the print so it makes the mirrored edge harder to line up.

2. Solid edge or painted edge. Can either print it on canvas or paint it after stretch.

3. Expand the image in Photoshop and use content aware to fill it in. This can be time consuming and may take a lot of attempts but it can be done.

Its important to remember that no one will see the bottom or top of print in most normal hanging situations. So the sides need to be more closely worked.

Most commercial print shops offer option 1 and 2.

Paul C

algrove

Greg
That was great to see. Not sure why he prints from a jpeg file instead of a tif or psd, but still very informative. Thanks.

Paul2660

Remember on a mirrored edge, you need to be very sure you don't have any skew. I only print with Epson large format, 9880, 9900 and now 9000. All of them skew the print on canvas. If your edge of the mirror is just slightly off, you will either pull it down over the wrap or it will show up on the face of the print. Epson allows as much as 1/8 of an inch skew on canvas as standard. I have around and around with Epson on this issue. HP and Cannon may feed canvas differently and make a more perfect non skewed print. Skew error on small prints 24 x 36 and smaller is usually OK, but on larger prints it can make a stretch very hard to complete.

Also I would test an image with the mirror action or other process to complete it and look at a sky or other solid area. The mirror can create an interesting area in solids.

If you are interested I have a Photoshop action, that should work with CC that will create the mirrored edge, just PM me and I can pull it and send it. Makes the process much faster than manually doing it.

Paul C