The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question on Long Telephoto for Hasselblad X2D

Paul2660

Hope that others can help me understand the true focal length of a HC or HCD lens on the X2D.

From what I can determine, the longest true X2D lens is the 135mm with the 1.7x teleconverter, which goes to approx 230mm (rounding up from 229.5), then you take that time .79 to get the 35mm camera equivalent focal length, so final is 181mm.

There are a couple of older HC/HCD lenses I have looked into the 300mm and 210mm. My questions:

1. If you add the 300mm to the X2D, with the X to H adapter, what is the actual focal length? 300 x .79 = 237mm or does the cropped sensor of the X2D come into play as a crop sensor does on 35mm cameras. Example 1.5 for most APS-C sensors, so a 100mm 35mm lens becomes a 150mm with the crop.

2. Same for the 210mm, on the X2D, does it become 210mm x .79 = 165.00. Has anyone used this combination on the X2D, and did they get AF and IBIS to work.

3. To get 1/2000 of a second you need an orange dot lens. Did the HC lenses ever have the orange dot? or only HCD. There seem to be a lot of used 210mm lenses out there, but not sure on the quality.

4. If you take the HC 1.7x converter and add it to the HCD 300mm you are at 510mm, and then times .79 you get 402mm. Which I believe is the longest solution out there. This is even longer than the Fuji 250 with the 1.4 converter, as it just gets to 350mm and then x .79 gets 276mm. Has anyone used the 300mm HCD with the HC 1.7 and X to H converter on a X2D. Do you still get IBIS and AF? From what I have read AF may not work, however AF should work on a 300mm with just the X to H converter as long as the lens can up upgraded to 1.19 firmware.

Any other lens solutions non Hasselblad folks have used also would be great to hear about. I realized that the older Mamiya 200mm and 300mm can be used on the X2D with a fotodiox style adapter, but no AF, not sure on IBIS.

Thanks
Paul

rdeloe

IBIS will stabilize manual lenses like those Mamiya 200mm and 300mm you mention. Whether it offers enough stability is personal. I wouldn't shoot a long lens without a tripod on a high resolution digital sensor. Other people seem to be able to pull it off.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
300mm is 300mm whether it's on an 8x10 camera or an iPhone. What it is in "FF equivalents" is another matter, but it shares the same rules as any other lens on that sensor size. I'm not sure how well the HC 300 works with the teleconverter - does the body recognize it, does AF work, etc. But the full manual lenses work fine, albeit with manual focus and electronic shutter only. One problem is that IBIS won't go above 499mm. But from a tripod, I've used a Zeiss 350/5.6 SA with a 1.4x APO and 2x Mutar stacked for a total of 980mm f/16 (775mm f/13 FF equivalent) and it worked well enough (long lens support rails mandatory). Atmospheric effects take over well before that.

Other telephoto options that I have used and liked are Pentax 67 400/4 ED-IF (way too heavy, though), Pentax 645 400/5.6 ED-IF (good, but Zeiss 350 is better - at 10x the price), Mamiya 645 300/5.6 ULD (very small, light, and cheap - worth carrying as part of the kit.) and the Zeiss 250/5.6 SA (very good, but heavier than the Mamiya 300, and fairly expensive.). The Pentax 645 600mm gets great reviews, but is beyond my personal weight limit. The Mamiya 645 200/2.8 APO is not as long as the XCD 135+1.7x, but it is wider aperture and draws superbly. I haven't tried the 300/2.8 APO, another lens of legendary quality - see weight limit above.

The Zeiss 350/5.6 works extremely well with teleconverters. With either the 1.4x APO or the 2x mutar, the quality looks undiminished.

As for IBIS and 300mm hand-held, this is a very tight crop with the X2D + Mamiya 645 300/5.6 ULD and was perhaps just lucky. IBIS is a huge help with focusing.

Matt

Last edited:

jng

...from a tripod, I've used a Zeiss 350/5.6 SA with a 1.4x APO and 2x Mutar stacked for a total of 980mm f/16 (775mm f/13 FF equivalent) and it worked well enough (long lens support rails mandatory). Atmospheric effects take over well before that.

Matt
:eek:

anyone

Fairly extreme experiment. I did stop with using just the Mutar, I never combined both converters!

jng

Oh, c'mon. Don't tell me you haven't done that!
Lol, no, at least not yet. And whassamatta, is Soup making you keep your distance these days (he seems to be giving you the stink eye in some of your more recent posts)?

SylB

Hope that others can help me understand the true focal length of a HC or HCD lens on the X2D.

From what I can determine, the longest true X2D lens is the 135mm with the 1.7x teleconverter, which goes to approx 230mm (rounding up from 229.5), then you take that time .79 to get the 35mm camera equivalent focal length, so final is 181mm.

There are a couple of older HC/HCD lenses I have looked into the 300mm and 210mm. My questions:

1. If you add the 300mm to the X2D, with the X to H adapter, what is the actual focal length? 300 x .79 = 237mm or does the cropped sensor of the X2D come into play as a crop sensor does on 35mm cameras. Example 1.5 for most APS-C sensors, so a 100mm 35mm lens becomes a 150mm with the crop.

2. Same for the 210mm, on the X2D, does it become 210mm x .79 = 165.00. Has anyone used this combination on the X2D, and did they get AF and IBIS to work.

3. To get 1/2000 of a second you need an orange dot lens. Did the HC lenses ever have the orange dot? or only HCD. There seem to be a lot of used 210mm lenses out there, but not sure on the quality.

4. If you take the HC 1.7x converter and add it to the HCD 300mm you are at 510mm, and then times .79 you get 402mm. Which I believe is the longest solution out there. This is even longer than the Fuji 250 with the 1.4 converter, as it just gets to 350mm and then x .79 gets 276mm. Has anyone used the 300mm HCD with the HC 1.7 and X to H converter on a X2D. Do you still get IBIS and AF? From what I have read AF may not work, however AF should work on a 300mm with just the X to H converter as long as the lens can up upgraded to 1.19 firmware.

Any other lens solutions non Hasselblad folks have used also would be great to hear about. I realized that the older Mamiya 200mm and 300mm can be used on the X2D with a fotodiox style adapter, but no AF, not sure on IBIS.

Thanks
Paul
Hello Paul,
For focal calculations, other have answered already.
All HC/HCD lenses have existed with orange dot, but some must be extremely rare, given the short production period.
The 300mm is a HC, not HCD, but it doesn't really matter.
You lose AF with HC 1.7x converter, even on H bodies. But the HC300 + 1.7x converter combo is surprisingly sharp (tested on H6D).
Sorry, I don't have an X body (yet ?) so I can't confirm if it performs well on this family.

MGrayson

Lol, no, at least not yet. And whassamatta, is Soup making you keep your distance these days (he seems to be giving you the stink eye in some of your more recent posts)?
Only when he's awake. The rest of the time he's fine :LOL::LOL:
Pentax 645 75/2.8 - forgot to use a telephoto.:eek: It's my favorite Soup lens because it focuses very close and renders smoothly.

Matt

hcubell

Thanks
Paul
Hi, Paul. I have the both the HC 300mm lens and HC 1.7 TC, but it is not an Orange Dot version so no AF. It is an absolute beast of a lens so I would never consider using it off a tripod, even if IBIS were available.
I keep the HC 300 and the TC in my vehicle, but I rarely use them. If I want a lot of reach, I turn to a Sony A7RV with the Sony 100-400 zoom. It's been quite some time since I tested the HC 300 against the Sony at 240.mm, so I don't have a distinct recall. If I have a chance, I will see if I can find the test images I did.
I also have the HC 210mm with no AF. It is an exceptional lens, but I wasn't convinced that it was any better than the XCD 135 with the 1.7 TC, so I never use the 210mm. The 1,7TC was designed specifically to work with XCD 135mm, and the MTF chart and actual use in the field show just how well the combination works. When it's 5 degrees and i am in the middle of a snowstorm, it's not as convenient to mount the TC rather than pulling out the HC 210mm but it's much lighter and smaller.

Last edited:

MGrayson

I had an HC 300/4.5 and stupidly sold it. I *did* take some hand-held pictures with a Leica S (the shutter worked with the Leica brand adapter), but it was a lot to carry around. Great lens, and would be nice to have the shutter on the X2D, but the Mamiya 645 300/5.6 is only 40% of its weight.