The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question: use of 24 HCD lens on X2D with 0,8 Hasselblad adapter

Paul2660

Has anyone tried the 24mm 4.8 HCD lens on the X2D with the 0,8 adapter? If so can you share your thoughts? Since Hasselblad for some reason quit making the 21mm (I would love to know why) the old 24mm HCD lens with said adapter seems to be a good combination as it becomes a 19mm 3.8 with the adapter. I realize you must have lens firmware of 18.1 to get AF to work and I assume IBIS also.

28P is nonexistent anywhere in the US and apparently world also with May? 2024 availability? Same is true for what seems to be all the newer P lenses

Paul

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Has anyone tried the 24mm 4.8 HCD lens on the X2D with the 0,8 adapter? If so can you share your thoughts? Since Hasselblad for some reason quit making the 21mm (I would love to know why) the old 24mm HCD lens with said adapter seems to be a good combination as it becomes a 19mm 3.8 with the adapter. I realize you must have lens firmware of 18.1 to get AF to work and I assume IBIS also.

28P is nonexistent anywhere in the US and apparently world also with May? 2024 availability? Same is true for what seems to be all the newer P lenses

Paul
I wonder how much of the sensor a Voigtlander 15 would cover…

TechTalk

I've used the HCD 24 mm, but only on an H System camera. It does exhibit field curvature at the outer edges as is typical of retrofocus lenses designed with a longer flange focal distance to accommodate the mirror in an SLR camera. Still, it's an excellent lens for the extreme coverage it provides.

The XCD 21 mm is an exceptionally fine lens designed for a mirrorless camera with excellent sharpness from the center to corners. The differences can be seen in their respective MTF charts. There is also a considerable difference in the size and weight of an XCD 21 mm and the HCD 24 mm + XH Converter 0,8.

I think either could provide excellent results for most situations, at least stopped down a bit. The XCD 21 mm has an advantage in sharpness edge to edge. The HCD 24mm + 0.8 converter offers approximately 110° diagonal coverage compared to the XCD 21 mm (actual focal length 21.8 mm) diagonal coverage of about 105–103° on a 43.8 × 32.9 mm sensor.

Hope this is useful to you.

XCD 21mm : 0.8 + HCD 24mm.png

Last edited:

hcubell

Paul
This not directly responsive to your question, but all of the reviews/feedback about the XCD 21mm lens have been effusive in praising it. I have never owned one so I cant speak from personal experience. I am seemingly incapable of making good use of an ultra wide lens. I am mystified why Hasselblad discontinued such a wonderful lens. However, I would look into purchasing a clean, used copy of the 21mm instead of the 24mm with the adapter. Much lighter as well.

MGrayson

Overkill incoming!
First, here's a capture with the XCD 21/4 on an X2D.

Here's that same image overlayed on a capture with the Voigtländer 10mm. That's TEN millimeters. Yes, the minuscule lens-shade vignettes, as do the corners.

Now the original image makes up a bit more than 22 MP of this larger one.

Now we crop to get an unvignetted 65MP image as captured with a 13mm or so lens.

If I still had a 12mm or 15mm Voigtländer around, I'd try it, as this may be just too silly.

But it works.

Matt

wattsy

The XCD 21mm F4 is an excellent lens and I can only imagine that it has been "discontinued" because Nittoh is unable or unwilling to make any more and Hasselblad no longer have any residual stock in the "warehouse". The lens is still listed on the Hasselblad website so it may be that the company hopes to supply the lens again at some point in the future. In the meantime, it is not difficult to find the lens new in stock (at least it is here in the UK). It is also widely available in near mint condition on the used market.

MGrayson

Used market mainly or all in Japan at this time. Will keep looking for one in US.

Paul
Paul,

I have bought over a dozen (I'm afraid to count) old medium format lenses from Japanese suppliers, including all but two of my current collection of Hasselblad, Mamiya, and Pentax optics. I have had no problems, including one tripod return that was handled very smoothly.

Their prices are good due to a severely depressed $/¥. I would not hesitate.

Matt

(Oh God, I counted. Two dozen exactly.)

Last edited:

rdeloe

Used market mainly or all in Japan at this time. Will keep looking for one in US.

Paul
Like Matt, I've purchased most of my lenses from Japan, on eBay. Any time I've had an issue, the sellers have been excellent. I've had the most problems with sellers from North America (regardless of selling format -- online, bricks and mortar, personal...). Some of the Japanese eBay sellers are extremely reputable stores, e.g., Map Camera.

Geoff

The CV 15mm v.III on X2D - works pretty darn well (especially for the price!). Shot at f11, two crops, first closer to square at 9165 x 8411, second is rectangular, 10878 x 6458. Last is full size, near upper right. yard 15mm 9165 x 8,411.jpg

Yard 15mm 10,878 x 6,458 .jpg
crop - its crisp, although forum compression doesn't help....
Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 12.03.18 PM.png

Last edited:

isteveb

Paul,

I have bought over a dozen (I'm afraid to count) old medium format lenses from Japanese suppliers, including all but two of my current collection of Hasselblad, Mamiya, and Pentax optics. I have had no problems, including one tripod return that was handled very smoothly.

Their prices are good due to a severely depressed $/¥. I would not hesitate.

Matt

(Oh God, I counted. Two dozen exactly.)
Unfortunately, I have had horrible luck in buying Hasselblad lenses from Japan on Ebay. Two for two on severly defected lenses that were stated as "Mint Mint" condition from so called reputable dealers. I think it is hit or miss and I don't think they always check the lenses for anything other than scratches and physical outward damage most of the time. New lenses may be another story however. I purchased my XCD 21mm F4 from a UK dealer new. It's being delivered today and only 5 days to ship to me in Florida. It's nowhere to found i the US that I could see.

Steve

MGrayson

Unfortunately, I have had horrible luck in buying Hasselblad lenses from Japan on Ebay. Two for two on severly defected lenses that were stated as "Mint Mint" condition from so called reputable dealers. I think it is hit or miss and I don't think they always check the lenses for anything other than scratches and physical outward damage most of the time. New lenses may be another story however. I purchased my XCD 21mm F4 from a UK dealer new. It's being delivered today and only 5 days to ship to me in Florida. It's nowhere to found i the US that I could see.

Steve
That's awful. Were you at least able to return them?

Paul2660

Curiosity peaked. Which lens is a CV15? and what adapter is used to mount it to a X mount Hasselblad.

Matt, with the Voigtländers, which mount did you use and adapter to X Hasselblad.

Also I assume that IBIS doesn't work with these solutions? I have read other places where the IBIS system has to know the lens focal info, similar to how Leica works. However it's easy to fool the Leica system by picking a Leica lens with a similar focal length.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

MGrayson

Curiosity peaked. Which lens is a CV15? and what adapter is used to mount it to a X mount Hasselblad.

Matt, with the Voigtländers, which mount did you use and adapter to X Hasselblad.

Also I assume that IBIS doesn't work with these solutions? I have read other places where the IBIS system has to know the lens focal info, similar to how Leica works. However it's easy to fool the Leica system by picking a Leica lens with a similar focal length.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
That's the Cosina Voigtländer 15mm, which has a Leica M mount, so any M to Hassy X adapter will do (I use the TT Artisan. It's ok). They also come in 12mm and 10mm versions, all of which are rectilinear, sharp, and "Full Frame".

IBIS works, you just have to tell the camera what focal length to use. It may not go as low as 10mm, but 12 and 15 work. Of course, IBIS isn't that crucial with such insanely short focal lengths. DoF is huge, too.

isteveb

That's awful. Were you at least able to return them?
I was able to return one, but one was so bad they blamed shipping on it even though it was extremely well packed and told me I needed to make a claim. The claim recovered amounted to less than one quarter of the purchase value of the lens. I think it is more likely there would be minimal issues with a new lens but anything that has been used I now have a strong aversion to buying from dealers in Japan (or at least the ones I on Ebay).

buildbot

I was able to return one, but one was so bad they blamed shipping on it even though it was extremely well packed and told me I needed to make a claim. The claim recovered amounted to less than one quarter of the purchase value of the lens. I think it is more likely there would be minimal issues with a new lens but anything that has been used I now have a strong aversion to buying from dealers in Japan (or at least the ones I on Ebay).
Oof - that sucks.
As an ebay seller and buyer, you do sometimes have to fight with eBay directly to make things right, but so far in my experience they always have after a little work. If a seller claims something was damaged in shipping, it’s still on them to refund you! Fully!

It’s why when I sell stuff I only ship fully insured - it’s saved me literally ~8000$ total in lost or damaged packages. Also, with full tracking - someone tried to claim non delivered before on an IQ160 I sold, except they had to sign for it at a post office (which because it was USPS, and they made the claim with them, they committed a very serious federal crime I believe!). eBay sided with me - after calling them.