The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Raw files from Sinar eMotion

Paul Spinnler

I like the adapter system a lot, and they are one of the least expensive backs for a Rollei hy6. With one back you can use it on Mamiya bodies, Rollei 6000(!!), Rollei Hy6, Contax, hasselblad H and V, and more. I also want to adapt mine to some medium format film rangefinders with a custom adapter, which should be possible because you can have the sensor sit inside the film gate area assuming it is large enough.

The color science is quite good in my opinion but I am not sure my library replicates that exactly, though it does apply the calibration files the back generates.

They also turn on quite quickly, and have internal storage which is nice.

Finally, it was very fun and educational! I learned a lot about CCD raw file processing.
Thanks for explaining - I think the Sinar P3 in a fully integrated setup with their latest electronically controlled lenses, etc. was really ahead of its time - but suppose too expensive and niche and ultimately and sadly a commercial failure.

There is still a Sinar website though and I wonder if anything can still be bought new ...?

buildbot

Thanks for explaining - I think the Sinar P3 in a fully integrated setup with their latest electronically controlled lenses, etc. was really ahead of its time - but suppose too expensive and niche and ultimately and sadly a commercial failure.

There is still a Sinar website though and I wonder if anything can still be bought new ...?
The Sinar p3 is indeed very cool! But yeah I bet it was expensive... They also had the Sinar E which I think predated the p3, which had computerized control/modeling for all movements, in a DOS(?) program! https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/02968/02968.pdf

I wonder that too, I know they made the S30|45 which is a Leica S3 but in a DB format, but literally have never seen one for sale. Clearly they still answer their emails/have all of the calibration files(!) for their old digital backs still which is impressive!

Paul Spinnler

The Sinar p3 is indeed very cool! But yeah I bet it was expensive... They also had the Sinar E which I think predated the p3, which had computerized control/modeling for all movements, in a DOS(?) program! https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/02968/02968.pdf

I wonder that too, I know they made the S30|45 which is a Leica S3 but in a DB format, but literally have never seen one for sale. Clearly they still answer their emails/have all of the calibration files(!) for their old digital backs still which is impressive!
It was an S007 sensor, the S3 is more recent and has 60 megapixel

buildbot

What did you write and compile it with?
Python and a utility called nuitka for compiling it.

I’ll open source it later today probably, you don’t actually have to build it to run the app. You just need to have python/dependencies installed, which can be a bit of a pain if you are not used to command line stuff.

I do still plan on building it for windows+mac as a compiled binary as that is much easier for most people.

buildbot

Very interesting read. No part 2 yet ;-)

Any update on releasing the Python?
Thank you!
I am really slow at writing, this is the first time I have really made an effort to document a personal project. I will though soon!

You can look at it here now: https://github.com/mgolub2/IAtoDNG
And I built a DMG and EXE using a different system, hopefully ones that are a bit more flexible than a nuitka binary:
IAtoDNG-0.2.1.dmg
IAtoDNG-0.2.1.msi

Thanks for checking it out!

elstv

Thank you!
I am really slow at writing, this is the first time I have really made an effort to document a personal project. I will though soon!

You can look at it here now: https://github.com/mgolub2/IAtoDNG
And I built a DMG and EXE using a different system, hopefully ones that are a bit more flexible than a nuitka binary:
IAtoDNG-0.2.1.dmg
IAtoDNG-0.2.1.msi

Thanks for checking it out!
The windows binary works!
So far so good. Meta data seems to be lost, including white balance, so everything is defaulting to 2150k at tint -66. (so very green). Easily correctable.
Haven't had much time to play with it yet, will report some more soon though.

buildbot

The windows binary works!
So far so good. Meta data seems to be lost, including white balance, so everything is defaulting to 2150k at tint -66. (so very green). Easily correctable.
Haven't had much time to play with it yet, will report some more soon though.
Awesome! Yeah white balance metadata not being properly transferred to the dng yet, its on my list to fix now! Everything else should be, though for whatever reason Capture One can’t see a lot of the data even though Lightroom can.

ruebe

@elstv
Took me longer than expected, but I finished a simple GUI interface for processing the .IA files from emotion 22 and 75 backs to DNGs:

View attachment 197410

It uses the .BR and .WR reference files the backs automatically create to correct the shot noise and CCD splits respectively.

Do you have a mac or PC? Right now I have it built just for mac, but I can create a windows build as well.

Would love to get some early feedback on it!
wow, i found this forum too late but am truly impressed! i sold my 75LV for the contax as I was growing tired to do the workaround on a VM with the unreliable sinar software and white balance troubles etc. and would have never dreamed somebody to come up with this!!!

buildbot

wow, i found this forum too late but am truly impressed! i sold my 75LV for the contax as I was growing tired to do the workaround on a VM with the unreliable sinar software and white balance troubles etc. and would have never dreamed somebody to come up with this!!!
Thank you! It was not too hard really, though getting the black/white reference file processing was not super straightforward mostly because I have very little idea what I am doing and image processing is a little tricky to find good info about.

Haha there’s a few emotion 75s listed on eBay ;) Though they are all a bit expensive….

elstv

I've got an eMotion 22 with Contax interface going spare if you're interested;-)

ruebe

Thank you! It was not too hard really, though getting the black/white reference file processing was not super straightforward mostly because I have very little idea what I am doing and image processing is a little tricky to find good info about.

Haha there’s a few emotion 75s listed on eBay ;) Though they are all a bit expensive….
setting up the VM was already the limit for me so „not too hard“ and „little idea“ is relative ;-) if i had kept my contax i would now def. keep looking for an 75LV-opportunity

FromJapan

@buildbot Thank you for doing the windows :) I have a Sinar 54H, and recently bought an eVolution 75H. Christoph Fries at macconsult.de was very helpful, and got me the reference files. I've been busy, and haven't shot with it yet. I plan to do so in the next couple of weeks. I use Windows, except when I'm using the Sinar backs. Would the Windows tool work with files from these two cameras?

Thanks,
Kumar