The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Right way to expand my existing system for landscape photography ?

Wall-H

I can use help from Experts

I’m pursuing photography as my hobby with main interest in Portrait and Macro. I always wanted to explore on the landscape photography and as a bucket list item, i always wanted to freeze water and capture beautiful colors of nature. I’d like to expand my existing gear to accommodate landscape photography in it so system will naturally expand and fit. Attaching only 2 landscape pictures i've taken so far. (In 13+ years)
Here is my existing gear
  1. Phase one XF, IQ3 100mp with 120 Macro BR & 240 BR as primary
  2. Nikon D850 with 135 F2 & 200 F/4 macro as backup
  3. Fuji GSW690III for film
Budget and Buying philosophy: One good spot on purchase and done after that. Okay to wait for late 30’s to buy car, but my first car would be Mercedes E class. If i win super lotto, i’m not going to buy any Rolls-Royce. E class is perfect and enough.

My Limitation:
  1. Daily job takes heavy toll and i’ve less time available for photography, Love film when i nail it. Absolutely hate it when all weekend lost and i’ve nothing.
  2. Due to heart condition, There is lifelong limitation on weight i can carry. (Not fittest guy).
  3. I tried renting, I can’t use wide angle lens. I just can’t. Anything wider than 50 mm and picture doesn’t go where i want to.
Based on research, I’ve various options at various cost points that will enable me HDR landscapes. Though technical cameras would be recommendation, I’m curious to know how the these system stack up against each other from comparison perspective.
Here are options i checked.
  1. Multi row Pano head - Least $ to spend, i can use existing set up with 120 BR (favorite lens) but not sure how reasonable it is to
  2. I can get tilt Shift Lens ? more $s than option one, I’ll have to buy new lens ?
  3. May be Cambo Actus can help to certain extent ? (which i can use in studio and load it for Macro stuff and use it) ?
  4. Technial camera with Schneider & Rodenstock's lenses? - I don’t have these many $ left for this system or lenses and paired with point 3 in limitation, i’ll have to spend serious $ for those lenses?
With all above, Can you please help me with
  1. Any article that can compare these 4 and how to rule them out for my need ?
  2. I’d appreciate if you can help me select system that will enable me get the line item of my bucket list.

Attachments

Paul Spinnler

Get a compact bellows camera – from Arca or Cambo for example – and mount some good analog lenses which are one level below the latest Rodie HR or SK Apo digitar ones. Ie you can mount a Grrandagon 65 6.8 which can be had for 400-500 bucks – be sure to get a multicoated one – and you will have a sharp lens even for digital with endless shift. The tech cam will allow you to easily ocmpose and tilt.

You don't need the latest Digarons for good photography.

Wall-H

Thank you Sir, Compact bellows camera means something like Cambo Actus ? or Arca-swiss Universalis ?

Paul Spinnler

Yes, exactly. The point is that with a bellows camera mounting of lenses is cheaper than with a non-bellows tech cam. And on top you have more movements. For landscape photography you'd want the ability to tilt any lens which bellows cameras let you do easily.

Wall-H

For freezing water, a filter system or a good tripod?
Thank you @RobbieAB, that will freeze water for me but will not help me with with Stitching and getting good HDR right ? especially compared to other options ?
And i guess for filters, I'll have to go with Lee ?

rdeloe

Thank you Sir, Compact bellows camera means something like Cambo Actus ? or Arca-swiss Universalis ?
I'm using an Arca-Swiss F-Universalis. Here's a thorough review of the camera with the mount for GFX: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index....alis-with-gfx-revised-review-published.74887/ At the bottom of this thread you'll see an example of an F-Universlis set up with a medium format back. It's very flexible.

Forum member John Leathwick is using it with Mamiya RZ lenses to make fantastic landscape pictures, also with GFX. Here's John: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/behind-the-scenes.31282/page-50#post-891752

JeffK

As an XF and Actus user, I would recommend an Actus G. That lets you use your choice of your IQ3 and N850.

dont ignore the Nikon Nikkor W and SW large format lenses. These are affordable and for landscape work comparable to the rodies.

Wall-H

Thank you @JeffK. By any chance, is there any way to rent this large format gear before buying ? Or anyone in this forum you folks know who is in chicago ? so i can check system and probably take few pictures before buying ?
Also, i don't mind saving a bit and going for a reasonable priced used lens if that gives edge over large format Analog (given it's 100 MP sensor. I got advice that 100 mp sensor will make images from older lenses look a bit softer).

JeffK

I’ve got an IQ3 100 achromatic. I haven’t noticed any softness difference between the nikkor SW/W and the rodies. However, I shoot at f11 most of the time.

anwarp

I agree with Jeff above. I use older lenses with my IQ4 150 on my actus.
I compared the 45mm sironar with the phase one 45 blue ring. At f11 (my usual landscape aperture), the sironar seemed sharper! Yes I was using a small central portion of the large image circle.
so long as the lenses are multi coated, they will sharpen up very well in post.

Paul Spinnler

You need to know the gems; the Grandagon 65 6.8 was good, the older wide angles less so, IMHO; sironar digital lenses are all still ok, especially the longer ones. They are re-badged Sironar-S and analogue lenses, so essentially anything towards 100mm and longer will be still quite good if it is a Sironar S generation lens.

anwarp

There have been a few discussions on older lenses on this forum. Here is one I had bookmarked.

buildbot

I agree with Jeff above. I use older lenses with my IQ4 150 on my actus.
I compared the 45mm sironar with the phase one 45 blue ring. At f11 (my usual landscape aperture), the sironar seemed sharper! Yes I was using a small central portion of the large image circle.
so long as the lenses are multi coated, they will sharpen up very well in post.
My 45mm Sinar magenta ring which I think is the same (?) as yours is also crazy sharp, they are relatively inexpensive too!

Wall-H

I’ve got an IQ3 100 achromatic. I haven’t noticed any softness difference between the nikkor SW/W and the rodies. However, I shoot at f11 most of the time.
Thank you @JeffK I've no problem shooting at F11. On the full frame side it was F8 where most older, newer, expensive or 1.8 Prime would be indistinguishable. I guess, for medium format, It's F11.

Wall-H

Thank you @Paul Spinnler @anwarp @buildbot . I've Bookmarked thread. Cambo Actus or Arca Swiss Universalis with Large format or previous generation lens would give me, Enough at reasonable point as long as i'll be careful in review of lens and stick to F11 as the baseline.
Option 1 and 2 ruled out and i guess, Option 3 with above points will give me enough (and some advantage in studio for Macro) and keep option open for Tilt and shift at moderate weight. Thanks a lot All !!

JeffK

@Wall-H you don't need any tilt and shift lenses if you go with an Actus or Arca SU. Tilt/Swing and Shift are available for any lens you attach to these platforms.