The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Apo Digitar 90mm 4.5 vs Sinaron Digital / Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital 90mm 5.6

guphotography

Hi guys,

I couldn't find much user report on the sk 90mm digitar in the archive, but do have a good idea on the Rodenstock version.

Has anyone used both that can share some comments?

My understanding so far is that both are excellent performers, both are symmetric design, Rodie/Sinar has larger image circle 125mm vs 90mm.

Thanks for all your input.

epforever

I've never compared them, but I have the SK 90mm, and I'm pretty amazed by it. Here's what I wrote to the seller after I first tested it on my Alpa (with an H5D-50 49x37 back): The lens is very sharp, with a much bigger image circle than the specs even state. Without shifting, it's sharp nearly to the edges even wide open at f/4.5. I shifted up 25mm, and at f/11 it was still sharp right to the corners, which is more than a 90mm image circle should allow. So then I added 10mm of lateral shift, and it was still sharp. I was focused around 10 feet / 3 meters away, so I believe that does expand the image circle some (as opposed to focusing at infinity).

RLB

If you are looking for 90mm lens for a Tech or view camera the Rode 90mm Apo Sironar Digital (magenta band) is excellent and has a larger image circle than the current HRSW (yellow band). Its also lighter and more compact by around 30%, and FAR less expensive (clean used examples under $1,500 typically). I have one I use with my Rm3di and IQ4 and its excellent lens for the cost. Don't be fooled that simply because it's from the previous generation/series that it's "inferior" mentality.

guphotography

If you are looking for 90mm lens for a Tech or view camera the Rode 90mm Apo Sironar Digital (magenta band) is excellent and has a larger image circle than the current HRSW (yellow band). Its also lighter and more compact by around 30%, and FAR less expensive (clean used examples under $1,500 typically). I have one I use with my Rm3di and IQ4 and its excellent lens for the cost. Don't be fooled that simply because it's from the previous generation/series that it's "inferior" mentality.
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I'm sure the performance would be stellar for both Rodenstock ASD and APO digitar, waiting for my digitar to arrive soon :)

Cheers!

Paul2660

Both are great lenses, and each has advantages over the other as RLB points out. What I found:

The 90mm with the Magenta band on Arca, doesn't need a back extension, but has 4 rings (3 if you use the rota back adapter), so it has a good bit of forward mass. The Magenta lens has a slightly larger IC and on my 3100 could easily get to 20mm of shift, with minimum color cast. However the lens (my example) had a huge issue with a ghosting fare issue, and there was really no way to figure out when it would happen, but it seemed to have something to do with reflected light. I did try a hood on mine, but it still had the flare. The lens also has a considerable flare issue when aimed at the sun (sunset shot) and or where sun it at an angle. But usually I could get around that and correct it in post, but the ghosting flare, really was a problem and hard to fix in past as it was an area of the image that would have less contrast and color.

The 90mm 5.6 with the yellow band, is heavier, but only uses two rings (1 with rota back) and has a back extension. The back extension is the small one (from Arca) same as used with the 120mm Schneider. I feel the lens is out of the gate sharper, and more contrasty on the IQ4 or 3100. Has a bit less shift (but still can make 20mm). The ghosting flare of the older lens is gone and I feel the lens also handles sun flare better. Shows better contrast also.

The Yellow band is now 3.5K more than when I purchased mine (it has a copal shutter) but IMO all the current Rodenstock glass is just way out of sight now, (add the x shutter and things become totally out of sight). And as RLB points out the Magenta band lens is often on sale at eBay or this site in the 2K or less price range.

Both lenses are 67mm for filters and both handle the wine country filter mount with no problems.

Paul C