The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting roll film with Cambo WRS

guphotography

Hi folks,

I hope this is the right place for the question, though it doesn't involve a digital back.

Has anyone shot roll film back on WRS bodies (1200, to be precise)? Is it a simple matter of adding the wrs-1068 adapter and wds-619 ground glass?

Other than the image circle and movement limitations, what else might affect the workflow? Any draw backs and tips?

I'm interested in shooting 6x7 if that helps.

Cheers
Gu

anyone

I would suggest to contact Cambo to ask about the lenses. When I had film lenses for my WDS, they had a different spacing compared to the digital lenses. While they physically fitted the WRS, you couldn't focus them due to the different spacing.

guphotography

I would suggest to contact Cambo to ask about the lenses. When I had film lenses for my WDS, they had a different spacing compared to the digital lenses. While they physically fitted the WRS, you couldn't focus them due to the different spacing.
I will contact cambo for an answer.

If using the same digital lenses, wouldn't the sensor position the same as film? Hence interchangeable between film and digital back, that's my thinking anyway.

I'll post their reply in case anyone might be interested.

anyone

I will contact cambo for an answer.

If using the same digital lenses, wouldn't the sensor position the same as film? Hence interchangeable between film and digital back, that's my thinking anyway.

I'll post their reply in case anyone might be interested.
The film plane was not at the same position as the sensor plane unfortunately...
My lenses were for the Cambo WDS (same lens mount as the WRS), and the film back I used them with was the 4x5“ back of the WDS.

So the roll film back you are looking for might be just fine with your digital lenses, but better ask to be sure :)

Last edited:

guphotography

The film plane was not at the same position as the sensor plane unfortunately...
My lenses were for the Cambo WDS (same lens mount as the WRS), and the film back I used them with was the 4x5“ back of the WDS.

So the roll film back you are looking for might be just fine with your digital lenses, but better ask to be sure :)
Yes, better safe than sorry :)

Will keep you posted!

Cambo

WDS was initially a 4x5 camera and later models were optimised for digital. So basically two versions.

If Gu has a WRS-1200 and lens panels belonging to this - which is what I understood - the system is for use with a DB. Adding the WRS-1068 enables shooting roll film. Film plane will be in the same plane as the sensor, so the same lens panels can be used. Albeit with the limitations (smaller image circle) some of these lenses have.

PSon

Does the WRS-1068 also enable shooting roll film for the WRS-AE and WRS-5000?

anyone

The cheapest way to shoot roll film on the WRS might be to just use an old Hasselblad V back, if your digital back has a V mount.

anyone

Magazine 12 is the one to look for. I never used such an old magazine, but read that a couple of people here use it. Maybe someone here could contribute first hand knowledge?

My digital lenses don‘t have the coverage for 6x6..

jng

As mentioned by @anyone you want the 12 and not A12 magazine. "A" is for automatic - distinguishable by the black winding crank. The crank on the older 12 magazine is flush to the body and comprises two half-moon silver pieces that can be pulled out to advance the film. At the back of the magazine is a little window that allows you to see the numbers on the backing paper. So to load and advance the film you turn the crank and wait for the next number to appear in the little window. Clear as mud? If not I think @darr has written about this on these pages.

Hope this helps.

John

guphotography

As mentioned by @anyone you want the 12 and not A12 magazine. "A" is for automatic - distinguishable by the black winding crank. The crank on the older 12 magazine is flush to the body and comprises two half-moon silver pieces that can be pulled out to advance the film. At the back of the magazine is a little window that allows you to see the numbers on the backing paper. So to load and advance the film you turn the crank and wait for the next number to appear in the little window. Clear as mud? If not I think @darr has written about this on these pages.

Hope this helps.

John
Cheers John, much appreciate your clarification.

PSon

That is what I thought as well but apparently Cambo mentioned it does not. Perhaps there is something we are not aware. I hope Cambo can answer the question.

Steve Hendrix

That is what I thought as well but apparently Cambo mentioned it does not. Perhaps there is something we are not aware. I hope Cambo can answer the question.

The issue is (mainly) the raised platform on the left side of the WRS 5xxx and (AE series based on those models). WRS 1000/1200/1600 series don't have the raised ledge on the left.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 3.01.14 PM.png